!!! BREAKAWAY !!! To Bermuda ^_^ Our Ultimate Review and Complete Pictorial Guide!

gambee

I find this very interesting that the local government is so strict about not allowing residents to let cars, structures, etc. ruin the beauty of the island.;)

Whatever they're doing, it's working. The homes looked like they'd been scrubbed and the streets looked so clean. I'm impressed!

Thank you for this fantabulous review, Gambee! I'm finally caught up with all 48 pages after a few days of chipping away. Really looking forward to more pics. Thank you for taking the time to provide us with such valuable info. We sail in September, and I've saved each Freestyle Daily you've posted. Thanks again!

It was odd the way they gave out numbers, we got 28 and were some of the first there? first cruise so not sure ow it works. there were plenty of seats when we arrived, but filled up quickly! (we are about 5 rows back in this photo, although kinda hidden lol)

In my experience at the NYC port, they reserve an amount of group numbers for suite and top priority passengers. Then another set for returning passengers and then they start group numbers for first timers. It changes each time I go, but I think they may call groups 1 -5 because they are there, but then skip to 10 -15 and then up to 25 but going back to earlier numbers as they arrive. I think that may be how it works.

Awesome as always Gambee. I've been working hard to get my Dream review done and someone pointed me in your direction late last night and I am officially caught up. I can't wait to read the rest....book marking this for future reference when we finally make it to Bermuda and do Kev proud. :)

Gambee: Even as a somewhat cynical long-time cruiser, I really enjoy your reviews for the hard work and enthusiasm that you put into them.

I love the fact that you have no "agenda" and you go to enjoy yourself. Your photos are great and you are very gracious in responding to people's requests and posts! I am looking forward to my Breakaway sailing next year! (even though you didn't love my S7 cabin .... )

A lot of times we travel and we do have everything pre-planned, this time around everything was much more relaxed. I think from now on I will research the ships a little, but not go crazy with planning as I have done in the past. It just seems like I can have a much more relaxing vacation that way.

The only thing that I did not like about your cabin was the tinny balcony, the rest of the room looked fantastic. The bathroom was huge!

I hope you have a great cruise :)

I just wanted to say something about your reviews that seems to get neglected. Your pictures are simply phenomenal and we all know that but I think you need to get a thumbs up on your writing. I've followed since Allure and I have to say I can see improvements in your grammar and vocabulary! Seriously, kids in my school aren't as advanced as you and English isn't even your first language! Kudos to you!

You are making me so JEALOUS with all of those beautiful Bermuda pictures; that water! :rolleyes: So when are we all going on Quantum?! :D

Thank you Mike, although in this one I had the help of Sarah in the beginning, so that might be why it looks better.

Well the thing with Quantum at this point is that they have not released the Bermuda Itti yet. I would really like to see Bermuda again, but this time aboard the Quantum. So I guess for now we wait and see what the prices will be to go to Bermuda.

Oh my, I've been reading for three hours and still on page 35. Thanks so much for all the info and pictures. We won't be going on the Breakaway but can't wait for the Getaway to come to Florida.

Sarah in Weston, how are you liking 595? :eek: We are right off Flamingo so it's killing me.

DH says "lights out" so will catch up tomorrow. Thanks again for all the work you have put into this!

Thank you very much for reading the review. Also, very excited that we are getting Getaway here in Florida. Can't wait to try her out already, I am curious at the differences between the two vessels.

Looking forward to seeing this in person! Thank you for an awesome review and pictures!

You're very welcome =)

Gambee, your review is insane!!!! Love all the info.

Have you ever cruised with Disney and if so what would be your comparaison with Ncl Breakaway?

Also, I will travelling in a group of 14 and although we do not plan to eat together all the time, how difficult do you think it would be to get a table that big at a MDR???

Again great review...cant wait to read more

We have not done Disney yet, but it is in our bucket list =)

Well SliceOfLife reported that she saw plenty of large groups in the MDR, my guess is that at this point is just as difficult as getting a table for two. While honestly I saw few tables that could hold 14 people, I am sure that they do offer the option. Sorry that I can not be of more help, but I only ate in MDR for breakfast and lunch.

Hi Gambee.....lov, love, love your review!

We will be on Breakaway in September and I was wondering if the Aft balconies on deck 14 were as large as yours was?

PS- your pics are fabulous!

Thank you :o.

I never saw the balcony on 14, but from what I know I think that one should be about half on mine. Maybe a little less than half. 13 is the smallest one.

I hope you have a great trip.

Good morning my friend! Looking forward to more of your fantastic pictures. Bermuda is definitely on my list now for future travels. I was thinking even possibly of great a LIVE review: Breakaway versus Quantum, back to back to Bermuda :D

Definitely a possibility....

When I went to Bermuda last September, the WiFi in the Dockyard reached the ship. I could even use in laying on my bed with the balcony door open.

Cool, that was not our case. Mom could not even signal by the pier.

Maybe with Breakaway there are much more people using it and crowding the network:confused:

Hello Gambee,

Love your reviews! We are also sailing on the Breakaway, next year. Since we reside in NY, it is great not to have to fly. While the ship is beautiful, it seems to have more then usual "optional" items. Since you have sailed on many cruise lines, do you think that this ship has the most "extra" charge facilities and dining venues? I am beginning to think maybe it still would be more cost effective to fly to Ft. Lauderdale and sail on Celebrity or RC.

What are your thoughts and opinions.

Thanks

Well like you said, they are all options, you're not forced to buy them. But you're right, NCL is by far the cruise line that nickel and dimes the most. Fortunately for me, most of the stuff I like is fairly inexpensive. But I can see how some families can rack up very high tabs by the end of the cruise.

If you read clearly my planning guide, you can see that there are a lot of ways of saving money. I will be honest to say that I was surprised at how low the end account balance was.

Gambee, Superb review so far. Love the detail.

I have a question about shore excursions. I was on Allure Of The Seas and they had plenty to pick from. Do NCL offer them? If they do is it cheaper to do things yourself etc?

cheers :p

NCL also offers a ton of excursions, but you can do everything much much cheaper on your own. I wont rush into it, but the excursion I did cost me $65 vs the $80 that everyone else paid by doing it with NCL. We were all in the same boat, I just bought my ticket elsewhere. I will go into details on day 5 and 6.

Good morning my friend! Looking forward to more of your fantastic pictures. Bermuda is definitely on my list now for future travels. I was thinking even possibly of great a LIVE review: Breakaway versus Quantum, back to back to Bermuda :D

Definitely a possibility....

Chris you should join us on the Breakaway August 31st next year

Gambee... don't like to interupt your review but now seems like a nice time to say great job as usual. THANK YOU for taking the time to do this. Years ago, I use to run a Website of a different nature and understand the time and effort it takes to do something like this. Looking forward to the final days and conclusions.

Well hello there, thank you very much for stopping by and saying hello. Nice to see you here. Definitely a lot of work, but at least I know it goes appreciated by many.

Gambee: I knew it was you!! I have another question. On most ships there is a crown type club at the top of the ship where you can relax and usually there are recliners, loungers, etc. There anything like that on breakaway? Somewhere inside where you can recline other than the spa?

I did not see one on the Breakaway, that was our favorite place on the Allure. Also, no there is no Solarium, the spa is your only option if you want to be inside.

It is very funny, but I think those two things are the ones I miss the most when I was on Breakaway. It is a different concept of a ****, NCL does things their own way.

Gambee, I can't find the words to tell you how awesome your review is !! Thank you thank you thank you. You have helped me so much in my planning for July. ;)

I also want you to know that I too, avoid large social groups. I avoid them like the plague. ( I probably will not go to my meet and great :( ) I really and truly know how hard it was for you to approach Peter Max and deal with the customer service fiasco . You did great. :)

Thanks again.

Elena

You're very welcome Elena. I thought we did good to, Max was just rude and he should not be aboard if he can not represent NCL accordingly. And NCL really has to be careful with the attitude of their customer service staff, they really need to calm down some.

Great start to another fantastic cruise...can't wait to hear all about it...

~millie

Thank you :)

FYI Gambee: THEE best items Le Bistro are famous for is the ESCARGOTS ( make sure you order an ANGIOPLASTY to go with that...the juice in the little holes are to die for with the baguette!!), and the Fruit Fondue, which till now is the BEST dessert we've ever had on any ship ( Carnival's Chocolate Thunder is 2nd...)..Creme Brulee was good, but not in the same league as the Fruit Fondue was...I had the medics standing by just in case...LOL...it is our favorite specialty venue on all ships, with the Oasis 150 Central Park 2nd, Teppanyaki 3rd...Love your review as always, but I wish you would have a BIT more details in your report!! LOL...LOL....Love it!

Big Al

Thank you Big Al, I guess time I can try the escargot and the Fondue. I had a really disappointing experience in 150 and honestly I don't think I would try it again. And Teppa we love, maybe ill try some new venues later on.

Once again thank you for stopping by.

Interesting. This situation has always intrigued me and being so close to NYC it would be easy to grab one of the ships that does this type of itinerary. I just have not been sure if it is for me. Your review has opened my mind to the possibilities.

PS: The Quantum does look cool!!

Bill

Glad that it did, we had a grand time in Bermuda.

That barracuda looks just like comedian Don Rickels!! LOL And did I see a baby bear in a tree?

It was actually a type of kangaroo, but forgot the exact name.

Gambee, I am absolutely LOVING this review - and all your awesome photos!

I was the same as you - only with the EPIC - (we had a group called the Epic Stalkers) and devoured all information available from the first ideas through to my actually sailing on EPIC. Unfortunately, I think I had 'too much information' and was slightly 'under-whelmed' when finally cruising on Epic.

But..since I did get some EPIC souvenirs from fellow Cruise Critics, I am carrying it forward!

I have a Breakaway one for you! I had entered a Cruise Critic contest ( I think on Facebook?) and won this coin from the keel-laying of Breakaway. If you'd like it, please email me your mailing address and I'll send it along to you. :) I think it will have a better home with you.

Photo of coin:

100_9136

Thank you so very much for your generosity, I sent you an email already :).

For us I was not really underwhelmed, but I did experience a few glitches here and there.

Bermuda streets look exceptionally clean. Was that your impression of the island? It all looks gorgeous.

It was indeed, I have a statement at the beginning of day 5 that summarizes my opinion of Bermuda. I will post it later on today.

Oh wow, the water in Bermuda is breathtaking! And your pictures are gorgeous. I'm such a lazy photographer, I rarely even carry my camera around in favor of capturing everything with my iPhone. :eek:

One of these days I'll make it to Bermuda (my sailing will be headed to FL and the Bahamas - not my first choice itinerary but it coordinated with the dates we needed).

Can't wait for Day 5!

Thank you for your kind words. For me no vacation is complete without thousands of pictures :D, lol.

This is my first post here but very excited to go on Breakaway in July. You're review and photos are amazing Gambee. Thank you for doing this. It really gives great perspective. This will only be our 4th cruise and 3rd with NCL, all out of NYC since it's so close to home for us.

You said you replaced your underwater camera already. So what did you get? I'm researching them for this trip and trying to find best value for price. Don't want to take the nice Nikon to the certain areas.

I replaced it with the Olympus Stylus TG-2 iHS, before I was looking for something compact and got the Sony tx. Now I want better picture quality, and this camera appears to be the one to deliver that. I get the camera tomorrow and will probably take her out to the beach this weekend. We will see how that goes, mom got the old Sony TX20.