On Grandeur now..

I wish this picture had a bit better perspective. From what little I can see this space most likely has smoke and water damage. The windows were probably taken out to provide ventilation and to also flow water onto the fire from above and to also try and keep the outer hull steel cooled.

Also some charring around the Windows. Heavly stained interior windows with Soot is also visible. Wow !!!

People it has only been 12 hours...it takes a while to access the damage...they have only been in port 4 hours. Look how long it takes on land to determine the cause and how long it will take fix it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Geez, I just watched a CNN report on this incident and they report it was pandemonium onboard. They showed a video taken by a passenger and it appeared that everyone at the muster stations were calm although certainly concerned about the situation.

Of course they reported there was pandemonium! It's not sensational if they report that things were calm and orderly. It's all about the shock value in reporting these days.

I'd guess it's from the crew taking out the windows for ventilation. I would think many of the windows would be cracked or deformed in other spots too.

That a good point, I wish we had some more PIX.

I'd guess it's from the crew taking out the windows for ventilation. I would think many of the windows would be cracked or deformed in other spots too.

Possible, but then why take out the lower windows too? The chair was singed as well. I would guess the fire/heat caused both.

Also some charring around the Windows. Heavly stained interior windows with Soot is also visible. Wow !!!

Certainly some smoke staining there but also keep in mind those windows already had a dark tint to them.

Possible, but then why take out the lower windows too? The chair was singed as well. I would guess the fire/heat caused both.

You would also take out the lower windows for water to drain out. Water will undoubtably leak from fire hose in operation and you do not want water to collect and pool up inside the ship. Without a doubt when those windows were taken out there would have been a lot of heat/smoke entering from the fire below causing heat damage to furnishings.

I wonder what is in the Storage rooms in deck 4 & 5

Looks Like Folks are back in the Aft cabin on Division 8

As someone else stated earlier I believe the Deck 4 area is a crew recreation area. I believe Deck 5 would be storage areas and the galley.

The CG is reporting

The fire started on the aft mooring deck and spread to the fourth deck at the crew lounge area before it was extinguished, Coast Guard spokeswoman Marilyn Fajardo said. Information on the fire's cause wasn't available, she said.

You would also take out the lower windows for water to drain out. Water will undoubtably leak from fire hose in operation and you do not want water to collect and pool up inside the ship. Without a doubt when those windows were taken out there would have been a lot of heat/smoke entering from the fire below causing heat damage to furnishings.

Wouldn't the ledge prevent the water from draining?

Wouldn't the ledge prevent the water from draining?

Not once the water goes over it. Those fire hoses flow up to 150 gallons per minute. Water would collect quickly and flow over that ledge easily.

The angle of those lower windows also allowed the crew to directly flow water down towards the fire which is why they would have been taken out.

I bet it's a cigarette. A passenger probably threw it from an aft balcony.

Maybe a crew member on a smoke break? We'll know soon enough.

This will gin up the Congress for hearings rather than spend their time on their business.

Its great to read that everyone is safe and the ship is in working order. Judging from the photos, it could have been so much worse.

The Carnival Ecstasy fire was reportedly caused by welding igniting a dusty laundry chute. Just like the rest of you I'm very curious as to what caused this fire.

How ironic the Triumph is also in Freeport.

Maybe a crew member on a smoke break? We'll know soon enough.

Too bad the media is taking the day off! No real news on today- just a rehash of old news.

The only way a cig butt could come from a balcony is the aft balconies- that would be a long shot from that distance/angle. I am sure someone from the crew knows something...

Too bad the media is taking the day off! No real news on today- just a rehash of old news.

The only way a cig butt could come from a balcony is the aft balconies- that would be a long shot from that distance/angle. I am sure someone from the crew knows something...

Hopefully some CCTV camera's were located in the vicinity or origin area ???

RC can do dry docks of entire ships in 7-10 days, so they should have Grandeur up and running in great condition asap.

True -- but in those cases the dry dock is planned for months if not years beforehand with all vendors, parts, supplies, craftspeople, plans, etc.. all worked out before the ship even docks.

No doubt RCCL is scrambling but this would not be a typical dry dock-type exercise.

How do they wake all the passengers? What if you are a heavy sleeper would they just come in your room and get you up?

Hopefully someone in the room with you will wake you up. If you cannot hear the alarm though, then you are certainly an extremely heavy sleeper.

Archived