On Grandeur now..

RC can do dry docks of entire ships in 7-10 days, so they should have Grandeur up and running in great condition asap. The important thing is that all crew and passengers are safe.

Ah yes, a memory from my TA days when the Enchantment and Grandeur were "young pups".

RCI had used fancy new generating engines onboard which were failing. The decision was made (after the Enchantment could no longer cruise a standard speed) to remove all of them from both ships. They scooter over to a shipyard along the gulf coast, cut holes in the ship, drove little lifters onto the ship, removed the failing generating engines, replaced with different ones and 2 weeks later back in service.

I remember how amazed how easy they're it sound. When I saw the Enchantment later I looked ...... But never found the opening. Ahhhh heck, she was cut in half and I didn't see that seam either.

I'm supposed to be sailing to Bermuda this Friday on Grandeur. I called RCCL right when I heard about this. They told me it was an "isolated event" and would only effect today's sailing. BUT, now that I'm looking at these pictures, I'm not sure how they can say that. I'm no expert, but I don't think this ships is sailing too soon....

thanks to all for pix and posts to keep us updated.

just deposited Grandeur, yesterday, for next sailing, so hopeful for a full and speedy return to the seas (who are calling...)

Enjoyed that South Pacific Lounge on our last sailing. JAZZ IN PINK had a private group on board and opened up nightly for all the passengers to attend their concert. It was magical, nightly. http://www.jazzinpink.com.

I'm sure they are all following this terrible news.

The good thing: everybody is safe with a chance to go ashore, if desired.

Already we have a conspiracy theory! The press release said: ...fire..deck 3....is it possible the fire was actually on deck 3 and the damage was done by heat and smoke? The poster that thinks RCI was "hiding" something.

Go easy folks... let's try to stay with first hand info and photos or crew info....no need to go off the deep end.....

Whether you love RCI or love Carnival or love them both...PR experts all agreed Carnvial did not do a good job during recent events. RCI has picked up the ball and is, thus far, doing a good job.

The press was also brutal on Carnival....if you recall, the lady that 'had to poop in a baggy" was on literally every TV screen across the country..I swear, she ran from TV camera to TV camera and every outlet was willing to give her air time!

RCI has offered folks the option of staying onboard or on shore....Let's give it some time before we pass judgement...

Sorry...I beg to differ. I happen to love both lines...just putting it out there. Who are these "experts" you're referring to? Could they be posters on CC? How has RCI "picked up the ball" other than send the CEO to the site? This is a fresh story...they haven't had time to do anything so time will tell how they do especially with the passengers (I believe Carnival did a great job in that area...not so great in others).

Why has CC not done a report on this site yet? They usually get reports of OTHER cruise lines very swiftly. Could there be a reason?

Maybe today is a holiday somewhere? :rolleyes:

We have AFT 7650 on two up coming cruises but plenty of time for repairs for us.

Good to know nobody was hurt.

Yep- that was us this Friday! Holding it for July 26 now. Anyone know how quickly RCCL contacts next cruise people??

RC can do dry docks of entire ships in 7-10 days, so they should have Grandeur up and running in great condition asap. The important thing is that all crew and passengers are safe.

Freeport is where dry-dock operations take place. Even though this is an emergency situation, the odds are greater for a quick fix in Freeport than anywhere else.

Wow! Jut saw the FB posting and had to come get the real story on CC. Dharma, that must have been terrifying, and Im glad you are all right. Dhagis , sorry to hear about your DH and do hope he gets home safe and sound! Sounds like they've got it under control.

Good luck and God bless to you all!

Wow, looks pretty bad from this angle.

I certainly feel for the crewmember who appears to be weeping in the foreground. Makes me wonder where their quarters were on the ship.

Rich

Already we have a conspiracy theory! The press release said: ...fire..deck 3....is it possible the fire was actually on deck 3 and the damage was done by heat and smoke? The poster that thinks RCI was "hiding" something.

RCI thinks Carnival started it, but, didn't want to come right out and say it.:D

Go easy folks... let's try to stay with first hand info and photos or crew info....no need to go off the deep end.....

is that you Ghetto Monk?

Hate to dash your anti-RCI hopes..But the PR firms that I mentioned happen to be severfal of the large PR firms in NYC that were recently interviewed on how corporations handle bad news. The Carnival reference was theirs not mine..

Please do not be blinded by your personal animosity toward a person or a company.

that looked like a hot fire,from the picture,glad all are safe.

I agree. The mooring ropes they use are probably polymer based. So you had A LOT of melting/burning. I would imagine that is what caused most of the soot and the reason it took so long to put out.

Archived