On Grandeur now..

So glad everyone is safe as that is the main thing and thank you for the updates. Thinking of everyone on the ship and the staff who have had to deal with a traumatic incident and it sounds like they did exceptionally well.

My thoughts to all. x

Just spoke with a customer service rep from RC and she said that as far as she knew, passengers were still going to sail out on Friday. She did say that the ship was going to be "evaluated" and RC would be calling the 5/31 sailing passengers as well as updating their website should they change their minds about sailing on 5/31.

Fingers crossed for this cruise and next week's!

Dharma - I hope it's a beautiful, sunny day there in Freeport and you can relax for a bit.

Debbie

Just spoke with a customer service rep from RC and she said that as far as she knew, passengers were still going to sail out on Friday. She did say that the ship was going to be "evaluated" and RC would be calling the 5/24 sailing passengers as well as updating their website should they change their minds about sailing on 5/24.

Fingers crossed for this cruise and next week's!

Dharma - I hope it's a beautiful, sunny day there in Freeport and you can relax for a bit.

Debbie

crap Debbie, you have 3 cruises that could be affected. I immediately thought of you after I saw everyone was okay.

Update: from cruise director John. Some cabins uninhabitable...some lounges unusable...I'm quoting here. Authorities to board ship soon. We are in Freeport. We are under our own power but some areas of the ship were heavily damaged per CD.

Must have been quite the fire.

pls keep us posted on the decisions RCI makes regarding repairs, travel home, status of your cruise....

Did note, over the the RCI facebook page, someone has already tried to determine the cause of the fire...tried to make it smoking related.....Wish folks would stick to facts...leave their personal opinions out of this sort of situation.!

Kudos to RCI for handling an emergency like professionals!

We are ok. Bad fire on deck 3 and 4. Headed to Freeport. Lifeboats we lowered and opened as we stood at 3 am for over 4 hours at our muster station. Passengers were ill (passing out and vomiting). Not sure if we will continue or what.

Why were the passengers ill (passing out and vomiting)? Was it from excessive amounts of smoke, or from claustrophobia, or something else?

Coast guard plane was circling us and Carnival Sensation was called to stand by. We could see it lit up in the distance. This was scary. The crew was serious. Crew was running wigh fire hoses and it took 2 hours to actually put out the fire. I heard it was in deck 3 after mooring room...all those ropes. On a happy note my toilet is flushing even better than before! We update if possible

Oh my! Were you woken from a dead sleep to Bravo Bravo?

Dharma,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post. Elated to hear passengers and crew are safe. Hope you are now able to take a deep breath and relax from what must have been a very stressful situation.

Congrats to the Captain and crew for all they do to keep everyone calm and safe as possible in events such as this.

crap Debbie, you have 3 cruises that could be affected. I immediately thought of you after I saw everyone was okay.

Thanks - I, too, thought about those passengers first and then thought about my 3 weeks scheduled for this ship. I just hope RC can work their magic and get the ship back in shape for this week's sailing as well as for next week's passengers.

Debbie

Very sorry to hear about this fire on the Grandeur this morning. Glad to hear there were no injuries (at this time) and that the damages will be inspected. I'm most impressed with Captain Espen's response: having the life boats ready was a smart move...and it shows RCI takes safety issues very seriously. Kudos to the Captain and crew and I hope the passengers have enjoyed their cruise thus far and will return home safely.

I am glad to read that all passengers and crew are well and Grandeur seemed to escape a serious situation due to the crew's training and quick action.

I am not on board now and empathize with those that are, but let's put this in perspective. You are on a cruise ship, you will be cared for, you will, most likely, be given a monetary gift, albeit refund or OBC for your cruise interruption.

The people in Oklahoma are homeless and only wish they could be in Freeport. They are looking at where their house used to be and now is just a pile of rubble. Some families are burying their loved ones.

I'm just trying to say that on the giant scheme of things, count your blessings and that you have your health and lucky enough to be having your comfort level treated as priority one.

Unlike another cruise line..where a principal never showed his face and left it go others to represent his company.

REALLY?:mad::mad::mad: Way to be mature and sympathetic at a time like this.:rolleyes:

West Coast just waking up and hearing all the news. Glad to hear everyone ok and that RCL put passengers safety first. Keep us posted and take care of you and your loved ones.

Archived