On Grandeur now..

This was just posted on RCCL's Facebook page:

For more information regarding the Friday, May 24, sailing of Grandeur of the Seas please call 1-866-562-7625.

I haven't heard anything. The usual facilities like the fitness center are not open because crew is busy cleaning up. Not sure what will happen. There is a new FB post from RCL regarding this cruise but I can't call it. Can someone please and see what it says?

It takes you to the regular reservation call-in system...it doesn't appear to be a special number.:rolleyes:

I really appreciate your factual posts about what's happened and is happening on the ship. Good luck today, and I hope your day is as normal as possible!

I hope you are able to board on Friday without any issues....a co-worker of mine is on that sailing as well. There are no other ships that you can move to at this point, right? Grandeur is the only RCI doing Bermuda, isn't she? Sorry this is happening.

My sailing has been sold out for over a month ... I doubt there are any alternatives. I'm sure it will be a day or two before we can expect any info regarding my sailing. But the attention really needs to be on the current sailing and the passengers. Since the problem was aft and the smoke damage is aft, we can concur that the MDR is affected as well. Resolving smoke damage is not a quick process ... been there, done that.

I can't imagine returning to a smoke-damaged cabin to try and get some rest after the trying ordeal in cramped conditions that everyone has gone through. And we are only focused on the passengers ... the crew has to be even more exhausted, after having fought the fire. I wonder how usable their cabins are?

Update: from cruise director John. Some cabins uninhabitable...some lounges unusable...I'm quoting here. Authorities to board ship soon. We are in Freeport. We are under our own power but some areas of the ship were heavily damaged per CD.

Update: from cruise director John. Some cabins uninhabitable...some lounges unusable...I'm quoting here. Authorities to board ship soon. We are in Freeport. We are under our own power but some areas of the ship were heavily damaged per CD.

The good news is, you all are safe, it seems no one was hurt, and you are not stranded at sea. Sorry to hear your cruise was impacted like this.

I think cruisers on the next (or even next couple) cruise should probably plan to be notified of their cruise being canceled. That is, if the damage is as bad as the CD is making it sound. :(

Thank you Dharma for taking the time to let us know what's happening. I can only imagine how stressful this is for you and the rest of the passengers and crew. I hope that they can repair everything while docked in Freeport. We're sailing 3 weeks beginning June 7th.

Sending you (((hugs))) from Virginia!

Debbie

Thank you for posting. Many are waking up to incomplete/unsatisfying news snippets and worrying about what happened. Cruise Critic members are the best at providing helpful information.

Hope you can get some R&R in Bahamas - perhaps a comfortable lounger for a nice long nap and a couple of stiff drinks!!??

So thankful to read that there were no injuries during this scary time

Thoughts and Prayers are with you and thanks for updating those of us who are worried for you all

Safe Travels to you from here on out!

Chass

I hope you are able to board on Friday without any issues....a co-worker of mine is on that sailing as well. There are no other ships that you can move to at this point, right? Grandeur is the only RCI doing Bermuda, isn't she? Sorry this is happening.

Explorer does Bermuda out of Bayonne, NJ.

Wow- so sorry OP! Following this since I got the tweets. Thinking of you and everyone else impacted. Hopefully no more musters like that for you and I'm praying you can still eek out a nice vacation going forward. Thank god you're ok.

sounds like RCI was well prepared to address the fire - especially with the lifeboats lowered/ready to board. glad for a safe docking in Freeport. am positive RCI's care and concern for the welfare of their entire staff and crew plus passengers will be Priority #1.

scary....

We are watching for your posts, Dharma - thank you.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/#importantAlertContainer

Grandeur of the Seas Update

Royal Caribbean International Statement

May 27, 2013

On Monday, May 27, at approximately 2:50 a.m. ET, Grandeur of the Seas experienced a fire on the mooring area of deck 3. The fire has since been extinguished.

In an abundance of caution, the Captain deemed it necessary to muster all guests at their assembly stations. All 2,224 guests and 796 crew have been accounted for, and there have been no injuries of guests or crew reported. The safety of our guests and crew is our top priority, and we will continue to focus on their needs and concerns.

Grandeur of the Seas was enroute to CocoCay, Bahamas, but is currently heading to Freeport, Bahamas, for further evaluation. The ship is in calm seas, and has full power.

Grandeur of the Seas is currently on a seven-night sailing that departed Baltimore, Maryland, on May 24, and includes port calls to Port Canaveral, Florida; CocoCay and Nassau, Bahamas. For more information regarding the Friday, May 24, sailing of Grandeur of the Seas call 1-866- 562- 7625.

Archived