On Grandeur now..

No one seems to be curious how? The fire started? At least I haven't read how or why? That's my concern as well as the safety of the passengers.

That will be investiagted by the USCG & NTSB and other agency's

No one seems to be curious how? The fire started? At least I haven't read how or why? That's my concern as well as the safety of the passengers.

We are all curious how it started. They just haven't passed any facts yet. It would only be speculation.

Those are not windows. It's an open area used for mooring activities and crew area. See image prior to damage for comparison.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/77/Halifay_-_NS_-_MS_Grandeur_of_the_Seas.jpg/673px-Halifay_-_NS_-_MS_Grandeur_of_the_Seas.jpg

I agree. I stand corrected. There are 4 windows missing from the lounge though. Those may have been removed to help ventilate smoke from the inside of the ship.

I do agree. I just looked at some of my pictures from my 2009 cruise on Grandeur and I stand corrected.

Heavy Fire Conditions, checking out CNN and it does appear that the recessed areas above the Main Fire floor are gutted !!! The crew on the Granduer did an outstanding job !!!

I think a fire at sea is every cruiser's worst nightmare. I am very glad there was no loss of life. It sounds like the crew did exactly as trained, and kudos to them for doing such a good job.

Picture from inside the damaged area

BLSlthnCMAADOf7.jpg:large

I wish this picture had a bit better perspective. From what little I can see this space most likely has smoke and water damage. The windows were probably taken out to provide ventilation and to also flow water onto the fire from above and to also try and keep the outer hull steel cooled.

This picture provides a better view of areas impacted. If as stated earlier the fire started on Deck 3 I can see from this picture damage extending up to at least Deck 5. I would imagine that the Grandeur will be out of service for at least 2 weeks if not longer.

You have lower windows (nearest the Floors) which are deformed and cracked. take a look at the metal framing around the windows in the Lounge ???

You have lower windows (nearest the Floors) which are deformed and cracked. take a look at the metal framing around the windows in the Lounge ???

That seat back is melted also. There was obviously some high heat up there.

That will be investiagted by the USCG & NTSB and other agency's

Will NTSB actually go onboard? It is a foreign flagged vessel. It is up to the government of the Bahamas to investigate the cause of the fire. I am sure NTSB can consult, but I thought that they would have limited jurisdiction

They still have not given the cause of the fire and I'm sure it will be a while until they know. I can't say it was caused by a cigarette or someone smoking. What I WILL say is that on a recent cruise I was amazed, shocked and angered at how many people threw their hot ashes and cigarette butts overboard!!

Hopefully seeing something like this will make them realize the potential danger and have them seeking out proper ashtrays to dispose of ash and butts!!!

Geez, I just watched a CNN report on this incident and they report it was pandemonium onboard. They showed a video taken by a passenger and it appeared that everyone at the muster stations were calm although certainly concerned about the situation.

I wish this picture had a bit better perspective. From what little I can see this space most likely has smoke and water damage. The windows were probably taken out to provide ventilation and to also flow water onto the fire from above and to also try and keep the outer hull steel cooled.

Check out the Metal Framing by Adams Feet ??? It Could of been taken out for horizontal Ventilation ??? Or it Could of Cracked ???

Will NTSB actually go onboard? It is a foreign flagged vessel. It is up to the government of the Bahamas to investigate the cause of the fire. I am sure NTSB can consult, but I thought that they would have limited jurisdiction

In this case, the Bahamas has the lead. NTSB and USCG have interest due to it being a U.S. based voyage. Plus, their expertise is commonly sought in major incidents like this.

Looks like a chair was singed as well. I sat at that exact area on the repositioning cruise playing as the Diamond lounge at that hour.

NTSB will be aboard if invited to participate in investigation by the cruise line, coast guard, or Bahamian authorities. Their insurance provider will also be involved in the investigation.

Since no life was lost, the main thing is to find out the cause, and to see if the crew responded appropriately. It sounds like it was handled well overall. Questions are, could something have been done to prevent it? Was the fire identified quickly? Was it extinguished quickly?

Ditto all the prayers and sighs of relief that everyone onboard is safe!

The FB picture looks like there could be two interpretations: One, the crew member really is still upset about the ship they have grown to love by serving on her. Or two, the crew member is acting upset to set up a great picture. It just looks a little contrived that the crew member is the only one framed in the picture - and someone had to take the picture. Just sayin': To observe is easy; to interpret, not so much. We all need to wait patiently until actual news comes out. Speculations about how the fire started are both groundless and useless. The only thing that is certain is that the captain and the crew performed admirably, and everyone aboard benefits from their quick and efficient response.

Muster Stations are based on Cabin assignment. The ship has no discretion in making changes. Folks need to consider that when travelling with minor children that will NOT be with the parents. Now back to the subject at hand!

True!! another good reason to book one parent with a child and switch on board. In case of an emergency each child will be with a parent. Never thought about this scenario, but it makes sense. Better to go through the inconvenience of getting the extra keys, and not worrying about our children being by themselves during an emergency.

Check out the Metal Framing by Adams Feet ??? It Could of been taken out for horizontal Ventilation ??? Or it Could of Cracked ???

I'd guess it's from the crew taking out the windows for ventilation. I would think many of the windows would be cracked or deformed in other spots too.

Archived