On Grandeur now..

I'm supposed to be sailing to Bermuda this Friday on Grandeur. I called RCCL right when I heard about this. They told me it was an "isolated event" and would only effect today's sailing. BUT, now that I'm looking at these pictures, I'm not sure how they can say that. I'm no expert, but I don't think this ships is sailing too soon....

Maybe they meant isolated to one ship.:rolleyes:

I'm guessing you mean Mickey Arison who is the Chairman of the Board and CEO of CARNIVAL CORPORATION & PLC. He received critical press for attending Miami Heat basketball games while Carnival Triumph was adrift after their fire.

Jerry Cahill who is President and CEO of Carnival Cruise Lines was on point and attended news briefings. He is the equivalent of Adam Goldstein. I believe that Richard D Fain, the Chairman and CEO of Royal Caribbean LTD. is the equivalent of Arison and will most likely also delegate news briefings to the specific cruise line CEO who is Goldstein.

Thank you for providing actual facts.

I am amazed and thankful that there were no injuries.

hello Jean. I hopped on over to the RCI boards as soon as I saw this on facebook. could not agree more...glad everyone is safe.

hope all is well with you and Don!

amy

Just look at the most recent picture. All the windows to the lounge above the deck where the fire started are gone. I would imagine there is some structural buckling of the deck floor from the heat of the fire. Based on the discoloration of the steel this was a very hot fire and it appears the fire spread vertically and laterally due to heat conduction through bulkheads and deck flooring.

Thank you for your input. Your expertise in this area is much appreciated. I suspect that lounge is in bad shape, not only from smoke, heat, or fire, but also from water.

One good thing RCI has going for them is the fact the ship is in Freeport.

Looking at the deck plans is it the kitchens behind the Gatsby Restaurant on the decks above the mooring deck. It looks like it reached the lounge (at least heat wise) to cause the windows to go.

Lots of flammable material (oils/lubricants) in those areas so looks like the crew fire teams did a great job to contain it!

Just look at the most recent picture. All the windows to the lounge above the deck where the fire started are gone. I would imagine there is some structural buckling of the deck floor from the heat of the fire. Based on the discoloration of the steel this was a very hot fire and it appears the fire spread vertically and laterally due to heat conduction through bulkheads and deck flooring.

And most likely an Automatic Sprinkler actiavtion in the Lounge due to the radiant heat or direct flame contact which blew out the windows (now we have possible water damage)or

possibly combustible ignition in the Lounge. I Think we are signing the same tune, lol

Today, 01:14 PM

FIRELT5

5,000+ Club Join Date: Oct 2001

Location: Coastal Ocean County-Jersey Shore "Jersey Strong !!!"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

Originally Posted by samj80

I agree. The mooring ropes they use are probably polymer based. So you had A LOT of melting/burning. I would imagine that is what caused most of the soot and the reason it took so long to put out.

Plastics=Hydrocarbons produces High BTU'S. You have discolored metal on the rear starboard Aft which indicates very high Temps. Direct Flame contact and radiant heat damage with some structual damage is evident on the upper floors.

Just look at the most recent picture. All the windows to the lounge above the deck where the fire started are gone.

Those are not windows. It's an open area used for mooring activities and crew area. See image prior to damage for comparison.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/77/Halifay_-_NS_-_MS_Grandeur_of_the_Seas.jpg/673px-Halifay_-_NS_-_MS_Grandeur_of_the_Seas.jpg

I really appreciate the updates and pictures, everyone.

We just left the Grandeur on Friday, and ironically, on Thursday night we were talking with one of the bartenders in the Viking Crown Lounge who ran our muster drill about emergencies. He said that there's no point in worrying and getting upset, and he felt that if something were to happen, he needed to stay calm and help everyone as best he could. I have no doubt that he did just that.

I'm wonder if those window panels were broken out on purpose (or even removed) to fight the fire from above.

There was never glass there to begin with. It's an open deck area use for mooring.

And most likely an Automatic Sprinkler actiavtion in the Lounge due to the radiant heat or direct flame contact which blew out the windows (now we have possible water damage)or

possibly combustible ignition in the Lounge. I Think we are signing the same tune, lol

FIRELT5

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

I agree. The mooring ropes they use are probably polymer based. So you had A LOT of melting/burning. I would imagine that is what caused most of the soot and the reason it took so long to put out.

Plastics=Hydrocarbons produces High BTU'S. You have discolored metal on the rear starboard Aft which indicates very high Temps. Direct Flame contact and radiant heat damage with some structual damage is evident on the upper floors.

I think we're on the same page. I was just looking at some pictures I took while on Grandeur in 2009 and comparing. To the pictures posted here so far. I would guess that some of the windows from the lounge passengers can use were taken out for ventilation. The deck just above where the fire appears to have originated shows exposure to some high heat conditions.

Those are not windows. It's an open area used for mooring activities and crew area. See image prior to damage for comparison.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/77/Halifay_-_NS_-_MS_Grandeur_of_the_Seas.jpg/673px-Halifay_-_NS_-_MS_Grandeur_of_the_Seas.jpg

The Lounge has 4 Windows which are gone.

Correct, there are just a few windows gone from the South Pacific Lounge.

I am sure that they can get it fixed up in a few weeks. They will be working 24/7 to get it done. I would guess at least two more sailings after this one will need to be canceled.

I still can't imagine heading to a muster drill at 3 in the morning. But, it also shows how good the crew can be in an emergency.

I am suppose to be sailing Grandeur on June 7th best possible outcome would be for us to sail, however if not I am hoping Royal will try and accommodate us on other ships and pay the additional airline charges.

Not likely.. Not many empty cabins in all cruises a week or so before leaving port.

thanks, we have all seen the pic, but I will wait for the actual report on the damage, and the info on how the fire started

FIRELT5

Quote:

I do agree. I just looked at some of my pictures from my 2009 cruise on Grandeur and I stand corrected.

No one seems to be curious how? The fire started? At least I haven't read how or why? That's my concern as well as the safety of the passengers.

I bet it's a cigarette. A passenger probably threw it from an aft balcony.

Just as an FYI to anyone else who is on an upcoming Bermuda sailing, you might want to look at the Breakaway and the Dawn on NCL. They have available cabins in June with late booking discounts. DD and I are in discussion about what are options are, since it doesn't look like we'll be sailing the Grandeur in four days.

Archived