Avoid 8622 on Enhantment of the Seas

I've been on Enchantment three times, first time being back in 2000 and I can tell you that I have experienced much of the same problems on every single cruise. In three different cabins, on three different decks. She is my least favorite ship as we had so many sewage-related and guest services problems it was ridiculous. But this is an on-going problem on a lot of Royal Caribbean ships that they are aware of (can't speak for other lines as I don't cruise on them). Not just Enchantment.

Sorry your cruise was ruined.

I have to ask... why are you D+ on a cruise line that gives you countless problems. Why on Earth would you put up with that?

Stacy, that's really strange that all of your RCI cruises have been affected by sewage issues. Amazing that you're still loyal to Royal...I guess. I haven't had any issues on a RCI ship yet; I suppose that I should count myself blessed, huh? :eek:

No, all of my cruises on Royal have not been affected by sewage issues. My three Enchantment cruises have been. And one on Radiance.

I have to ask... why are you D+ on a cruise line that gives you countless problems. Why on Earth would you put up with that?

Because I don't sweat the small stuff. And because 3 cruises were affected, not the other 30+. So I no longer sail on those ships. I love Royal Caribbean otherwise.

It's no wonder people are afraid to post on these boards, you can't share your experience without all sorts of snarky comments. It's hysterical!

Just breezing through this thread, as the title caught my eye. The black water system (toilets) are separate from the gray water system (sinks and showers), so someone flushing something would not have caused this problem. Tubs do tend to be problematic on board ships, as the drain pipes tend to be smaller than at home, in order to reduce wasted space hiding them in the bulkheads, and also because there is little room for sloping the pipes downward as done ashore.

I'm just now recognizing the complaints that many make about sewer smells around various ships. Here's a tip for everyone. What is happening is that the A/C tends to evaporate the water in the drain traps (the S-shaped pipe under sinks and showers that traps water to prevent backflow of fumes). If a drain anywhere in your bathroom is not used regularly, it will dry out and the odor will come back up the pipe. Simple solution is to pour a glass of water down each drain (sink, shower, tub, floor) every day. This takes away most of these odor problems. The floor drain (if there is one, not in the shower) is the most likely culprit. On the NCL Pride of Aloha, there was a gutter type drain at the bathroom door, that would never hold trap water. We eventually plugged these off, as they were rarely needed, and were always causing odor problems.

Oh my, a lecture.:rolleyes: Ok, let me rephrase my original statement......the back up may have been caused by someone flushing something down their tub drain that shouldn't have been......a pair of panties, socks, a small kid, or whatever. :p:D:eek:

Oh my, a lecture.:rolleyes: Ok, let me rephrase my original statement......the back up may have been caused by someone flushing something down their tub drain that shouldn't have been......a pair of panties, socks, a small kid, or whatever. :p:D:eek:

Not trying to lecture anyone. It just twigged in my old, soft brain that I could possibly help those who voluminously post about cabin odors. Tub backup probably not caused by item in drain, as again toilets and tubs are separate systems, most likely maintenance was not proactive in snaking the tub drains, as the hairballs tend to collect badly in the nearly horizontal runs associated with tubs on ships.

Trust me, after 4 years as Staff Chief Engineer, I've had my fill of underwear, handtowels, face cloths, dinner napkins, swimsuits, paper towels, disgruntled crew uniforms, crack pipes, and coke spoons needing to be roto-rooted out of the vacuum toilet system. At least we could discipline the crew!

Not trying to lecture anyone. It just twigged in my old, soft brain that I could possibly help those who voluminously post about cabin odors. Tub backup probably not caused by item in drain, as again toilets and tubs are separate systems, most likely maintenance was not proactive in snaking the tub drains, as the hairballs tend to collect badly in the nearly horizontal runs associated with tubs on ships.

Trust me, after 4 years as Staff Chief Engineer, I've had my fill of underwear, handtowels, face cloths, dinner napkins, swimsuits, paper towels, disgruntled crew uniforms, crack pipes, and coke spoons needing to be roto-rooted out of the vacuum toilet system. At least we could discipline the crew!

I quite enjoy reading the actualities (is that a word :p) of running a cruise ship. I work with many Marine engineers so I get information from all sides -- I think a little knowledge is a good thing. Love the tip about pouring water down the drains - never needed it before but good to know.

Lecture or not, I found it educational. Thank you for sharing.

I will still try your odor preventive "water in trap" tip. It is easy and cannot hurt.

If I were to have trouble with a tub drain causing a floor drain backup, I wonder if slowing the outflow might help. Maybe a washcloth over the tub drain (not down the drain, I promise) to slow the water flow a bit when draining tub after a bath. Do you think it might help?

I have been on Enchantment a total of 14 odor/sewage free days. Fifteen delightful days on Radiance plus some on her sisters. No sewage or odor problems in many other cruises (Oasis class, Freedom class, Voyager class, and Vision class). I hope my luck continues, though I know someday I may take my turn with plumbing woes.

Lecture or not, I found it educational. Thank you for sharing.

I will still try your odor preventive "water in trap" tip. It is easy and cannot hurt.

If I were to have trouble with a tub drain causing a floor drain backup, I wonder if slowing the outflow might help. Maybe a washcloth over the tub drain (not down the drain, I promise) to slow the water flow a bit when draining tub after a bath. Do you think it might help?

I have been on Enchantment a total of 14 odor/sewage free days. Fifteen delightful days on Radiance plus some on her sisters. No sewage or odor problems in many other cruises (Oasis class, Freedom class, Voyager class, and Vision class). I hope my luck continues, though I know someday I may take my turn with plumbing woes.

It couldn't hurt to try slowing the outflow. It may also be that other cabins are showering at the same time, combined with a slow tub drain that backed things up.

in answer to my last email,I received a letter with offer of $250 credit for future cruise(per person).Think this was proper response to complaint and adequate compensation for a miserable cabin .Have asked if possible to switch to my son and his wife for upcoming cruise in Nov.(since he was the person who recommended this line in first place).I will let you know what I hear back.But I m pleased with this outcome and glad to report favorable response from this cruiseline.;)

from my customer service complaint. The offer of $500 credit on next cruise will be switched to my son for his Nov.cruise.

I was pleasantly surprized when Mr.Garcia(manager)called me and let me know this would be possible.He was very polite and I thanked him for allowing this to be done.I had mentioned my son has taken MANY cruises on that line and had recommended it.

IT pays to be polite and persitant.:)

Archived