Scenic receives poor review on latest member reviews

alexandra cruiser

I sure hope Scenic responds on this board. This really is disappointing to hear, we board the Emerald in August and I have a promise from their owner that the food this year will be a lot better than last year. This review sure doesn't indicate that. I'm not sure if the poster had ever been on a river cruise before and did not research fully the evening entertainment. Scenic, what do you have to say?

I read the review - and not I'm sure that the poster had done a river cruise before - or had researched the product. There was surprise about the buffets, the piano player as the evening entertainment etc. This shouldn't be a surprise if you had done your homework.

Food is very subjective, and most of the reviews below that one don't have as much of an issue with the food. In fact, the review directly below was very happy with the food.

I rank the chef as the 2nd most important person on any river cruise... right behind the CD.

This hasn't added any angst to our booking... Still looking forward to our trip with them in September.

Fran

I just read the Scenic brochures and they do say buffets for both breakfast and lunch, with lunch including a couple of a la carte options...plus not knowing about the limited evening entertainment on any of the cruise lines...I would say this was definitely the posters first river cruise.

When we were on a river cruise last year, there were hand sanitizers just outside the dining room doors and passengers were reminded all the time about using them before entering.

Food is so subjective..someones raw is someones elses over done! Plus meats like rabbit might not be everyones number 1 choice. :)

both of you posters going this year,PLEASE do a review.I don t leave till June 2014.Maybe customer service will respond and correct any problems by then.One can only hope.If they want repeat business,their product must deliver what it says.

Even IF it was her FIRST river cruise,should have been better than that since she says she won t go on them again.

Avidcruiser, let us know??:confused:

I believe this is the review Alexandra is referring to.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=219452

Oh...and Alexandra, I would not have angst over one particular review. Some people just have unrealistic expectations (or don't do their homework) and some people are just chronic complainers or both. I have often read on-line reviews of products that I was wishing to purchase - some very negative and some very positive and wondered if these people were using the same product. I now tend to look at an "average" of comments to help decide on something. I spent my entire career in advertising and marketing and understand no matter how good any product or service is there will ALWAYS be some people (legitimately or not) that will have cause for complaint. The difficult part is sorting out those who are just unhappy about everything, and those who have a real gripe.

This actually opens up an even broader question about some of the people who post on this site...well maybe I shouldn't go there.

One of the things I found when exploring for data on our next river cruise was that when it comes to reviews that are published and only a tiny percent of those who cruise actually take the time to write a review over 96% of all reviews posted are positive. I believe that negative reviews only stand out because they are in the minority.

If you would also like to take a quick survey go to the reviews section, select river cruising and look at the stars awarded. A quick exercise in baby math and you'll quickly find the answer. River crusing is a very popular holiday and the vast majority of cruisers would come back in a heartbeat.

I thought this review was very well written. I don't think people should dismiss the OP's opinion for having unrealistic expectations. I have never taken a cruise that promises 5 star service and amenities, but if I did I would expect to receive such service. After all, that is what I paid for. I am not expecting 5 star service and amenities on our upcoming Vantage cruise, but that is because I was not promised such service. This is the type of honest review that helps provide better service in the long run.

Star ratings are never a good thing to try and depend on as they really have no specific meaning outside of a particular accreditation scheme.

Worse still, if you try to apply a star rating to the food rather than the food service then it comes done most often to 'did they serve food that you liked'.

I've had things served to me that would no doubt qualify as 5 star in preparation ingredients and service, but which were, to me, completely inedible at the time due to personal taste. Doesn't mean it wasn't 5 star though.

A 5 star river boat is still a river boat and we need to remember that when deciding where to spend our money, you can't get a 5 star hotel experience on a small boat, doesn't mean it isn't a 5 star boat though, just not a 5 star hotel :)

If you are used to lavish stage production shows on your cruise ship then the lone pianist is probably not going to compare, but you can determine if the lone pianist is what you are going to get before you even pay a deposit, so doing just that would seem to be time well spent.

I'd say this is yet another cautionary tale to remind people to do their homework.

One bad review and then heaps of good ones.

Not concerned at all about my cruise in July.

Cheers

So few under member reviews here,and under Thread by 2 cruise critic reviewers(see below).Did see some on Scenic website,is that what you re referring to?Also, PLEASE do post your review,and we ll HOPE its positive for your July cruise.Thanks in advance.;)

One bad review and then heaps of good ones.

Not concerned at all about my cruise in July.

Cheers

Hi Brisbane Lions fan - just curious about which cruise you are on - we live just down the road in Montville & are on a July 8 Amsterdam departure ..

Hi MerlinC,

Sorry I took so long to get back to you, we have been away in Victoria and Tassie.

We are on the Budapest to Amsterdam cruise on the 30th July. I think all the flooding will be over by then (hoping anyway).

My TA went with Scenic just before the floods and he said it was one of the best most luxurious holidays he has been on.

Cheers from Flaxton

Sue

Hi Sue,

Thanks for letting me know. I am really looking forward to it. Our neighbours herein Montville did this cruise a year ago and they too said it was wonderful. We are very much looking forward to it. July 30 is our return date - maybe we can catch up for coffee when you return and compare notes -or re-live the experience

Warm Regards from just down the road

Merlin

Hi Merlin,

Our river cruise is at the start of 10 weeks away for us, we are also touring around Europe and the UK and then get on the new Royal Princess from Venice to Barcelona and fly home. We are back on October 1st and would love to meet and re-live the holiday.

Cheers Sue

Archived