Oceania Air Question.

kimanjo

If the Oceania air allowance/credit is, for example 800.00 for a European Cruise, how often (if ever) can O's air department NOT find a flight for $800?

If I am flying ATL-FCO-BCN-ATL and the air allowance/credit is 800.00, but all the flights I see (want) using itasoftware.com are 1100.00 will "O" charge me 300.00 more? Or do they have specially priced tickets/agreements with the airlines.

Has anyone been charged more than the allowance that is offered, and examples if so...

Does my question make sense????

Thanks

J.

Edited by kimanjo

If the Oceania air allowance/credit is, for example 800.00 for a European Cruise, how often (if ever) can O's air department NOT find a flight for $800?

If I am flying ATL-FCO-BCN-ATL and the air allowance/credit is 800.00, but all the flights I see (want) using itasoftware.com are 1100.00 will "O" charge me 300.00 more? Or do they have specially priced tickets/agreements with the airlines.

Has anyone been charged more than the allowance that is offered, and examples if so...

Does my question make sense????

Thanks

J.

No, it doesn't. The only significance of the air credit is if you decline to take O's "free air" which is included in the price of the cruise. You then get the credit and book your own air. If you take the "free air", you don't have to worry about what it costs O. And yes, they have special agreements with the airlines and buy "bulk fares." It's your choice.

If you take O air, they will fly you to and fro. No extra charge. The "air allowance" is a separate issue.

They will charge a deviation fee if you want to not arrive on the day of the cruise and/or leave the destination city on a date other than the end of the cruise.

In addition to the deviation fee, there are other charges possible if you want to choose your flights or make stops en route.

O does have contracts with airlines. I'm sure they don't pay published prices.

If you use the free air you will get a ticket with the airline and flights of their choice. If you want to pick you will pay the air deviation fee plus any additional cost for the ticket.

...and that's where I think the confusion comes in for the OP. That does not refer to published airline fares that you would see on sites like itasoftware when doing research. It refers to any additional fares that O incurs with the airlines and is not a figure you would know in advance. Make your flight proposal to O and wait to see what they come back with. You don't have to take it. They MAY add a supplemental charge or they may not, you never know. You will pay the 150pp deviation fee, regardless. (If you take the offer. Of course you don't incur a deviation fee just for asking. Thought I better clarify) Hope that helps.

Edited by thunderbird56
clarification

...and that's where I think the confusion comes in for the OP. That does not refer to published airline fares that you would see on sites like itasoftware when doing research. It refers to any additional fares that O incurs with the airlines and is not a figure you would know in advance. Make your flight proposal to O and wait to see what they come back with. You don't have to take it. They MAY add a supplemental charge or they may not, you never know. You will pay the 150pp deviation fee, regardless. (If you take the offer. Of course you don't incur a deviation fee just for asking. Thought I better clarify) Hope that helps.

You understood me perfectly!

Thanks. I just couldn't understand how they could do air for 800$, (plus a 150 deviation fee if I choose) when all the major carriers are at 1200-1300 for the same route.

I will make the proposal and see what they come up with, and do the math...

Thanks!

I am aware that deviation flights can be arranged 270 days prior to cruise. Can I know, at that same time, what their free air flights would be? I thought those flights were known close to departure..somewhat late to make ones own arrangements?? I ask this because I may opt for their standard flight post cruise.

I am aware that deviation flights can be arranged 270 days prior to cruise. Can I know, at that same time, what their free air flights would be? I thought those flights were known close to departure..somewhat late to make ones own arrangements?? I ask this because I may opt for their standard flight post cruise.

Regarding opting for the standard flight post cruise, sitraveler is correct, you pay one deviation fee for pre-, post- OR both. The deviation fee is an adminstrative fee, billed to you immediately and non-refundable once you accept the deviation proposal.

Regarding when flights are known, that's one of the great advantages of the deviation process. You will immediately learn exactly which flights they are proposing, and once you accept the proposal, those flights will be yours. You will actually be assigned seats at that time, and in most cases you can change those seats if you like. Another great feature of the deviation versus booking yourself is that you do not have to pay for the flights when booked; they are part of your cruise fare and are paid at final payment. If you must cancel the cruise prior to the final payment you are not responsible for the air costs. The only fee you pay at the time you accept the deviation is the adminstrative fee ($150). If you must cancel the cruise, you would lose that fee.

Regarding opting for the standard flight post cruise, sitraveler is correct, you pay one deviation fee for pre-, post- OR both. The deviation fee is an adminstrative fee, billed to you immediately and non-refundable once you accept the deviation proposal.

Regarding when flights are known, that's one of the great advantages of the deviation process. You will immediately learn exactly which flights they are proposing, and once you accept the proposal, those flights will be yours. You will actually be assigned seats at that time, and in most cases you can change those seats if you like. Another great feature of the deviation versus booking yourself is that you do not have to pay for the flights when booked; they are part of your cruise fare and are paid at final payment. If you must cancel the cruise prior to the final payment you are not responsible for the air costs. The only fee you pay at the time you accept the deviation is the adminstrative fee ($150). If you must cancel the cruise, you would lose that fee.

Don, There is a drawback on getting your flights early..you must continually check them as the airlines tend to take flights off and add other flights all the time..so the flights you get might not be there in a week..

Jancruz1

Don, There is a drawback on getting your flights early..you must continually check them as the airlines tend to take flights off and add other flights all the time..so the flights you get might not be there in a week..

Jancruz1

Good point Jan, but the undependability of Airline schedules can be a problem right up until flight time. The Airlines are in such a state of turmoil that Customer inconvenience does not even enter into the equation any longer.

We still make our Reservations well in advance, but reconfirm them semi-regularly. The days of putting the confirmed reservation in the Safety Deposit Box (actually, we used to do that with the paper tickets) are long gone.

Jancruz1

Jan, the airlines have always sent me an email when flights have changed. In the case of an Oceania deviation, would they really charge me another deviation fee if their original flights disappeared? Wouldn't they make new arrangements for me?

Jan, the airlines have always sent me an email when flights have changed. In the case of an Oceania deviation, would they really charge me another deviation fee if their original flights disappeared? Wouldn't they make new arrangements for me?

Good question, also-when booking on our own we get updates from the airlnes when there are changes to the flights, who would get these updates with an O deviation, my travel agent or me?

Good question, also-when booking on our own we get updates from the airlnes when there are changes to the flights, who would get these updates with an O deviation, my travel agent or me?

ALL communications from Oceania will go to the Travel Agent.

This makes a great deal of sense because even if the passenger should become aware of a flight change first, any amendment to the Air Arrangements MUST be made through that Agent.

Once a cruise is booked through an Agent, Oceania is contractually required to deal ONLY WITH THAT AGENT.

ANOTHER REASON to find an Agent that you love, :D

It was mentioned that you will be given a bulk ticket if you book through OC. We just returned from a tour of Ireland and reserved through the tour operator, thus received bulk tickets. I did this mainly because I could cancel the tour and air fare up to to 60 days before the tour. Flying from Seattle to JFK then JFK to Shannon and returning from Dublin to Atlanta and then Atlanta to Seattle we earned 2,734 miles per person TOTAL. Reason: bulk tickets on Delta earn 25% of the actual miles flown. If miles are important to you check with the airline you are flying to determine what happens to your miles under the bulk ticket rules.

Another problem with bulk tickets is that they are often not upgradeable. I was unable to upgrade my United flights using miles plus co-pay and was unable to because they were bulk tickets.

Another problem with bulk tickets is that they are often not upgradeable. I was unable to upgrade my United flights using miles plus co-pay and was unable to because they were bulk tickets.

True, but having Oceania purchase Bulk Tickets on your behalf is often not the only option. They key is to specify that you WANT up-gradable Tickets when you request the deviation.

Then, when they come back to you with the proposed Itinerary, you will know exactly what is being offered.

I am taking the Insignia next summer on the Sunsoaked Getaway through Amalfi etc...We are going to fly in two days early to Venice and stay three days longer in Rome. We will have the use the "deviation" plan you are discussing. We also KNOW what times we want to fly. What advice can you give in regard to what I should make a priority in requesting our flights. I am not sure what you mean by Upgrade able tickets??? Can you explain? Also what wording should be used as we make these plans in this coming year???

Thanks for all of your wisdom and experience. It is incredibly valuable and appreciated.!:)

I am not sure what you mean by Upgrade able tickets??? Can you explain?
Even though the question was not addressed to me, I will take a stab at this as I fly numerous airlines and am familiar with some of their rules.

Each airline has different rules and instruments to upgrade tickets from Economy to Business or from Business to First. I will use American Airlines (AA) and United Airlines (UA) as examples.

Both airlines have two upgrade instruments, miles and SWUs (System Wide Upgrades).

Miles

To upgrade with miles on UA, you must purchase a more expensive ticket. In other words you cannot upgrade flights booked in fare classes Z, P, S, T, K, L, G or N. So you have to pay more up front. If the upgrade is not available at the time of booking, then you are put on a wait list with no guarantee of the upgrade coming through.

To upgrade with miles on AA, you can purchase the cheapest ticket available and then when the upgrade comes through, which may be at the time of booking, you pay an additional co-pay along with the required number of miles needed for the particular route.

SWUs

Both airlines have SWUs that are given to their top tier frequent fliers, UA 1K and GS (Global Services), and AA EXP (Executive Platinum). The requirement for reaching those levels is to fly 100,000 miles per year, to earn that status each year.

AA can use SWUs on any fare class, where UA has to use it on the higher fare class tickets (as they do when using miles described above). No co-pay required when using AA SWUs.

Now, the airfare purchased by the cruise line is often wholesale fares, aka bulk tickets, and are most often non-upgradeable depending on the airline. On UA they would definitely not be upgradeable. AA may be one of the exceptions to that. I don't know for sure.

Note each airline's rules are completely different, so what upgrade rules work for UA and AA will be different for DL, US, LH, BA, etc. Go to the respective airline's web site and look at their rules for upgrading which will be found in the frequent flyer section of their web site.

If you are from the US and are on a cruise departing from a foreign port and don't have 60,000 - 100,000 miles per person to upgrade there and back, then don't waste your time researching this option.

Quite often by the time you pay the premium fare or co-pay and pile of miles, it may be batter to just use miles for a free premium ticket or pay for a business class ticket instead, especially if you can get O $799 business class air add on.

Beware on consolidators selling super discounted business or first class tickets. In some cases these are unscrupulous mileage brokers who have purchased miles from frequent flyers and then book tickets for you using those miles. Sounds great right? Not really as the airlines are very adept at catching these folks and while the broker gets your money, you end up without a seat when you arrive at the airport and the frequent flyer who sold the miles ends up with a frozen FF account. General rule is, if it sounds too good to be true it probably is.

Note: Just because you buy an upgradeable fare does not mean you will be upgraded as upgrades are capacity controlled by the airlines so make sure the upgrade is available prior to purchasing the ticket if that is of paramount importance. I book all my air myself to make sure I am in business or first, and often buy, use miles for free tickets (not really free as I did a lot of flying to earn those miles), and occasionally upgrade.

Edited by Fam_Cruise

I am taking the Insignia next summer on the Sunsoaked Getaway through Amalfi etc...We are going to fly in two days early to Venice and stay three days longer in Rome. We will have the use the "deviation" plan you are discussing. We also KNOW what times we want to fly. What advice can you give in regard to what I should make a priority in requesting our flights. I am not sure what you mean by Upgrade able tickets??? Can you explain? Also what wording should be used as we make these plans in this coming year???

Thanks for all of your wisdom and experience. It is incredibly valuable and appreciated.!:)

The short answer is that the more flexible an Airline Ticket is, the more it will typically cost.

When you are requesting an Air Deviation from Oceania, therefore, if your intention is to try to upgrade that Ticket, then you need to make that fact clear to them during the planning stage.

Because of the contracts that Oceania holds with the various Airlines, buying an upgrade-able Ticket may or may not be an option, but it never hurts to ask. Even if the answer is "no", it is better to know where you stand.

Requesting flights as an "Air Deviation" represents no great mystery, but again you should be aware that there is no such thing as a free lunch.

If the Fight which you desire costs more than another which Oceania might have chosen for you, then the Deviation Quote which you receive may well include a surcharge for that difference.

The Passenger then has the option of accepting that route (with the fee) or requesting yet another flight.

If this process still seems confusing, then you may want to enlist the help of a Travel Agent who is well versed in Oceania. Their service would be free to you, and their advocacy can be invaluable. ;)

I am thinking of deviation for our TA next April. If I call O to discuss...I booked direct, will the tell me what flights they have already picked?

NO

But you can request the ones you want then decide if it is worth the deviation fee

I am thinking of deviation for our TA next April. If I call O to discuss...I booked direct, will the tell me what flights they have already picked?

No they won't, because the tickets are not actually purchased until after you make your final payment.

With a deviation payment we always know what our flights are once they are booked with Oceania. I think though that you cannot book a deviation until 290 days prior to sailing. I may be wrong on the number of days, but we have a deviation for our cruise in January 2014 and we were able to book and knew what our flights would be late April this year.

With a deviation payment we always know what our flights are once they are booked with Oceania. I think though that you cannot book a deviation until 290 days prior to sailing. I may be wrong on the number of days, but we have a deviation for our cruise in January 2014 and we were able to book and knew what our flights would be late April this year.

I believe that you misunderstood the question at hand.

Bareheadedlass, wanted to know if Oceania would tell her what flights they would book for her if she DID NOT buy the Deviation.