Something Ive noticed about Quantum pricing.

Ive noticed that on a lot of sailings the difference in pricing between an inside cabin and a balcony is very little. Sometimes its only 100.00 per person more.

The difference between inside and oceanview is even less than that on most sailings. Sometimes as little as 20.00 per person more.

Who in the world would get an inside cabin at those prices? :confused:

Im usually a "cheapest way to get on the ship" cruiser but there is NO way I would NOT get a balcony for only a couple hundred dollars more.

Does anyone else think there will be some good price drops for inside cabins on that ship in order to fill them up?

Ive noticed that on a lot of sailings the difference in pricing between an inside cabin and a balcony is very little. Sometimes its only 100.00 per person more.

The difference between inside and oceanview is even less than that on most sailings. Sometimes as little as 20.00 per person more.

Im usually a "cheapest way to get on the ship" cruiser but there is NO way I would NOT get a balcony for only a couple hundred dollars more.

Does anyone else think there will be some good price drops for inside cabins on that ship in order to fill them up?

I think it depends on how quickly they sell out. If all the balcony are gone, and people really want to sail, they will pay it.

Plus, maybe they think the virtual balcony will be a big seller. I was tempted to reserve one to see what it was like.

Finally, Maybe they feel that the balcony is not that much of a draw, especially in Winter out of New Jersey. People may not be willing to pay the premium for the balcony, so it is actually that they are selling balconies cheap, not selling inside for a premium.

Good point. I usually book an OV if I am traveling in fall/winter/spring. I live in N.J. and cruise out of Baltimore and Bayonne. The balcony was such a great price (compared to OV) it was a no brainer. I am going on the 12 night so I think it will be money well spent.

I think it depends on how quickly they sell out. If all the balcony are gone, and people really want to sail, they will pay it.

Plus, maybe they think the virtual balcony will be a big seller. I was tempted to reserve one to see what it was like.

Finally, Maybe they feel that the balcony is not that much of a draw, especially in Winter out of New Jersey. People may not be willing to pay the premium for the balcony, so it is actually that they are selling balconies cheap, not selling inside for a premium.

I know that when Disney put the virtual portholes in, the demand for inside cabins outpaced outside cabins to the point that inside cabins cost as much as (and sometimes more) than an outside cabin.

With the virtual balconies on Quantum, I can see a similar thing happening.

I would get an inside cabin. :D I am also a "cheapest way to get on the ship" cruiser". We've gotten outside views before, but after evaluating a 10 day cruise we totaled up all the time that we actually spent looking out the cabin window and it didn't amount to 1/2 an hour. We are usually only in the cabin for sleeping, showering and changing. The rest of the time we are out and about the ship.

One of our favorite things to do is go up to the Viking Lounge an hour before dinner and have cocktails. Much better view than a cabin window. Unfortunately, balconies are out of our price range if we want to cruise as often as we plan to do. Couple hundred $$ per person is almost a third of another cruise. (One exception - 30th anniversary cruise to Alaska will be a balcony at any cost.)

Maybe I'm the odd ball out but I'd take fresh air over a "virtual image". We are doing the 12 nighter in April specifically hoping that the weather is much better than on say the December sailings as we were considering that one as well since it had the lowest pricing at one point. But we had the same experience it was a very minimal amount to go from an inside to a balcony even if it was an obstructed one. We ALWAYS book the cheapest option but at the very small increase that it was I "splurged" this time.

We are looking forward to our balcony to see how the ship moves from winter, to spring, to summer weather in a day or so. We go in January and cannot wait. I presume there must be some big indoor lounge for the sailaway party.

The "virtual balcony" concept was all about trying to make interior cabins more attractive and therefore able to be sold at a higher price. I'm sure RCI is trying to see how high they can push the prices on these inside "virtual balcony" cabins to wring out the most profit. If they don't sell well after a few months, I'm sure they'll drop the price.

The "virtual balcony" concept was all about trying to make interior cabins more attractive and therefore able to be sold at a higher price. I'm sure RCI is trying to see how high they can push the prices on these inside "virtual balcony" cabins to wring out the most profit. If they don't sell well after a few months, I'm sure they'll drop the price.

Are all inside cabins virtual balconies?

Maybe I'm the odd ball out but I'd take fresh air over a "virtual image". We are doing the 12 nighter in April specifically hoping that the weather is much better than on say the December sailings as we were considering that one as well since it had the lowest pricing at one point. But we had the same experience it was a very minimal amount to go from an inside to a balcony even if it was an obstructed one. We ALWAYS book the cheapest option but at the very small increase that it was I "splurged" this time.

Actually you're quite smart, not odd.

You're getting a better cruise experience in better weather (warmer for sure) visiting more and nice destinations...and a balcony always trumps an inside cabin.

Enjoy your cruise.

HI! I booked the March Quantum of the Seas but was wondering how to let more people know how to get in the Roll Call talks. Also did anyone get a money off there room? They are a little pricey.

Yes you can get money off if you booked any balcony cabin. Assuming you did, you should get a C&A balcony discount depending on your C&A level.

I noticed the same exact thing OP when I was looking at random dates last week. I thought it was a little odd. I imagine it will all sort itself out when the line sees what cabins are booking and which aren't... then the usual supply/demand algorithms will kick in.

Since we're among friends here I will say this... :cool:

I am also one of the get on board for the least amount of $$ group but I have this odd feeling that the virtual staterooms look like an awesome idea on paper might not work all that well in reality. Royal's IT department isn't known to be top notch (my last cruise had 2-3 different dining room menu's posted each night on the interactive boards in elevator lobbies).

What happens if the lens of the cameras outside get covered in salt... that crystal clear 80" view of outside will look like you're wearing your beer googles! How intermittent will the connection be... will it be the current view? I have visions of turning on the wall and seeing the same image for hours on end lol

As for pricing - they know they've got a captive audience with the C&A members - fill the balcony rooms 'cheap' then they can raise the price to widen the gap between interior and balcony once they release to everyone else. Maybe Royal was just doing something nice for us ;)

Ryano - we've now added my disabled aunt into the cruising addict anonymous group after our Hawaii cruise... I haven't looked at the Q's accessible yet - seem like there's enough and in good locations??

With the addition of the virtual balconies, there will no longer be a "very cheap" room compared to all of the others. Good thing that every cabin category is attractive now.

UCF_Knight ~ Are you still in school? IF you are not already in the Hospitality and Tourism program at Rosen, you should be! I will be there in 2015! :cool:

UCF_Knight ~ Are you still in school? IF you are not already in the Hospitality and Tourism program at Rosen, you should be! I will be there in 2015! :cool:

No... not still in school. Far from it, actually. I went to UCF in the early 90's for computer engineering. I'm still a big fan and never miss a football game.

Good luck in UCF's Rosen College Hospitality Management program. The campus for Rosen is awesome looking.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=705

If you look at the link and see out of 2090 cabins, 1570 are balconies, that might explain it. Maybe?

Archived