Quantum Keel Blocks are in the House!

Checking out the Meyer Werft webcam for images of Quantum of the Seas (blocks) has me curious about the company and the huge structures within which they build the ships. Finding nice videos of their facilities. These have me wanting to go on their tour:

For that matter, I've also been checking out info, photos and videos on the Cape Liberty cruise port because the Quantum of the Seas will sail from there. Didn't really know it existed until I heard about it in relation to the ship.

Wow!

That was really cool. I will have to do that tour someday too. Hope they have an english version or at least signs in english.:o

I have been to cape Liberty. They will need a few upgrades I think.

Denise

Edited by DKNYC

Wow!

That was really cool. I will have to do that tour someday too. Hope they have an english version or at least signs in english.:o

I have been to cape Liberty. They will need a few upgrades I think.

Denise

I think that I'll put it on my bucket list. Would be nice to see the Quantum of the Seas (or the other 2 Quantum class) being built before I set sail on her.

• 2 weeks later...
The webcam view as of 6/26 is still tightly on the Getaway. Hopefully soon we'll see some Quantum progress!

Eric

I saw the same which led me to believe something must be going on behind Gateaway. I don't recall them having the webcam in that position for so long while two shps were being built.

It seems like most of the glass pieces for the balconies on the NCL Getaway have been installed which is a good sign of progress! Now it looks like they need to catch up a bit on the upper decks! Hopefully they move this thing out of there soon.

Just checked out the webcam and there is a new pic. Still tight on the Getaway, but you can clearly see an interior Quantum block on the dock at the left. Might even be one or two more further down the lock towards the aft of the Getaway, but its tough to tell with the cranes in the way.

Updated the image again today. Not like them to update so often? Maybe they're getting a lot of emails from anxious Quantum fans?!

MeyerWerftlayout_zps73557048.jpg

I did notice that the webcam updated to an early morning shot today. What is the purpose of the diagram of MW? I'm just curious as its not related to the webcam. It does show Hall 6 with the bridge between what would be the Getaway and Quantum though (gray line; not yellow)

Updated the image again today. Not like them to update so often? Maybe they're getting a lot of emails from anxious Quantum fans?!

MeyerWerftlayout_zps73557048.jpg

I was one of those emails. I specifically mentioned the back of Hall 6 and aft of Getaway. Instead they zoomed into Getaway again. But did they just do that? Maybe they are trying to tell us something about the Quantum block closest to the webcam??? Notice how the middle section of that block is open through those decks. Not sure what decks this could be, but certain parts of the deck plans published do show open spaces.

I did notice that the webcam updated to an early morning shot today. What is the purpose of the diagram of MW? I'm just curious as its not related to the webcam. It does show Hall 6 with the bridge between what would be the Getaway and Quantum though (gray line; not yellow)

Just showing the layout of Hall 6 at MW for anyone who may not be familiar with it. I myself had wondered if there may be another lock next to the one that the Getaway is located in, and that perhaps the blocks we could see may be for a ship in that other lock, and not necessarily for the Quantum of the Seas. So, I Googled for the Meyer Werft facilities layout to answer my own question.

Also, my puzzle-loving sister seems to think that the large block that we can see on the dock is for the area around the Quantum's rear elevators and stairs. She thinks that the two rectangular holes at the top of the block are either for the staircases or elevators. I guess we'll have to see if she's right or not.

Edited by Lloyd555

I was one of those emails. I specifically mentioned the back of Hall 6 and aft of Getaway. Instead they zoomed into Getaway again. But did they just do that? Maybe they are trying to tell us something about the Quantum block closest to the webcam??? Notice how the middle section of that block is open through those decks. Not sure what decks this could be, but certain parts of the deck plans published do show open spaces.

I would suspect that being a stair well.

Don't want to see keel blocks sitting on the dock where they're not meant to be. They need to float out Getaway already and get to work on Quantum...

Those slackers. :p

I agree !! Finish it outside, lets get some serious building done

Just showing the layout of Hall 6 at MW for anyone who may not be familiar with it. I myself had wondered if there may be another lock next to the one that the Getaway is located in, and that perhaps the blocks we could see may be for a ship in that other lock, and not necessarily for the Quantum of the Seas. So, I Googled for the Meyer Werft facilities layout to answer my own question.

Also, my puzzle-loving sister seems to think that the large block that we can see on the dock is for the area around the Quantum's rear elevators and stairs. She thinks that the two rectangular holes at the top of the block are either for the staircases or elevators. I guess we'll have to see if she's right or not.

Your sister may be right. Looks to be in the hump area.

Your sister may be right. Looks to be in the hump area.

I did some sleuthing of my own on my lunch. I'll attach three images here. It's one of the two circled blocks from the block plan. Likely the orange one. Let me explain why.

Looking at the MW image, you can see that there is a piece toward the back that has a grid with smaller squares. That is for the exhaust pipes. So that gives you a general axis of where the blocks have to be.

Now take a look at the highlighted section of the MW picture. You see a bump out there. If you compare that to the deck plan picture, you can see deck six and above have the bump out while five and below do not. They have the lifeboats, hull, etc so the shape is different.

Back at the MW image, you can also see there are elevator shafts on either side of the block towards the front. Also in this image, you can see there are four floors with cabin spaces toward the outsides.

So if you add all this up, it has to be one of the two blocks circled. Likely you are seeing decks six through nine in that MW picture. I just cannot find a good enough block plan image to figure out if its the white or orange block. But given the bump out, and given the lifeboat locations, I have to say its the higher up block. Would also make sense to be the orange one too due to the fact that the green one above that would be decks ten through 13, or the remaining passenger cabin decks. Enjoy!

blockplan1.jpg

Untitled1.jpg

Capture3.jpg

Edited by Mass2Cruise

That's the same spot my sister was looking at. Her boyfriend says 'No way they would have built a block that high up in the ship yet!'.

He's thinking that they would build blocks for the Quantum from the full bottom (keel) of the ship upwards. Not necessarily I told him. Well, it's not necessarily how they would put the blocks together, anyhow. Whatever they do at WF, we don't know how long they've been building the blocks. Heck! They could have the bridge built by now! :rolleyes:

I showed him this image from the WF site of the Getaway being built where I guess the Quantum of the Seas will be built. It's the area behind the present location of the Getaway that the webcam isn't showing us now(!). Anyhow, it shows my sister's bo that the whole keel of a ship isn't necessarily put together before they start to build upward. Looks like WF was building what they could in the space allotted.

Edit: In the bottom right corner you can just make out the rear of the Breakaway?

Norwegian_GetawayimagefromMW_zps0028d185.jpg

Edited by Lloyd555

You are correct in respect to not having to build the keel horizontally (as you obviously have visual evidence of). They can build it vertically in two halves too if need be, and weld them together. That is what the shipyard that built, I believe the Disney Dream, did. They actually did them in two different shipyards, welded a closed hull on one half, and towed it through the ocean to meet up with the other half. But the Quantum block I pointed out can be the correct one based on the fact that they have no choice but to build up at this point given the position of the Getaway versus the length of the drydock.

That's the same spot my sister was looking at. Her boyfriend says 'No way they would have built a block that high up in the ship yet!'.

He's thinking that they would build blocks for the Quantum from the full bottom (keel) of the ship upwards. Not necessarily I told him. Well, it's not necessarily how they would put the blocks together, anyhow. Whatever they do at WF, we don't know how long they've been building the blocks. Heck! They could have the bridge built by now! :rolleyes:

I showed him this image from the WF site of the Getaway being built where I guess the Quantum of the Seas will be built. It's the area behind the present location of the Getaway that the webcam isn't showing us now(!). Anyhow, it shows my sister's bo that the whole keel of a ship isn't necessarily put together before they start to build upward. Looks like WF was building what they could in the space allotted.

Edit: In the bottom right corner you can just make out the rear of the Breakaway?

Norwegian_GetawayimagefromMW_zps0028d185.jpg

You are correct in respect to not having to build the keel horizontally (as you obviously have visual evidence of). They can build it vertically in two halves too if need be, and weld them together. That is what the shipyard that built, I believe the Disney Dream, did. They actually did them in two different shipyards, welded a closed hull on one half, and towed it through the ocean to meet up with the other half. But the Quantum block I pointed out can be the correct one based on the fact that they have no choice but to build up at this point given the position of the Getaway versus the length of the drydock.

Thanking you both for the great info. I had no idea what went into building these ships. Watching the progress of the Quantum is going to keep me occupied online - well, cruise ship-wise anyhow :rolleyes:. My roll call is not busy right now (as Lloyd555 can attest to!). Going to go check out images/videos of the Disney Dream halves being put together.

Edit: Was the Dream built the same way as the Magic? I found online that the bow half of the Disney Magic cruise ship was built at the Fincontieri shipyard in Ancona, Italy, and had to meet with the stern section 100 miles away in Marghera. Haven't found any images/videos of the merging yet.

Edited by Tough as Leather

Was the Dream built the same way as the Magic? I found online that the bow half of the Disney Magic cruise ship was built at the Fincontieri shipyard in Ancona, Italy, and had to meet with the stern section 100 miles away in Marghera. Haven't found any images/videos of the merging yet.

Not sure, Discovery Channel/Destination America show the "Disney Cruise Line" special regularly which shows it.

Geek Alert! :D

Well, if everyone is so keen on seeing Quantum of the Seas blocks/parts, there is this image:

This image is from the blog page about the Getaway on the NCL website

http://www.buildinggetaway.ncl.com/2013/05/first-float-up/:

If it is indeed the Getaway - and not a stock photo of the Breakaway - then the blocks on the dock are likely Quantum's.

PossibleQuantumblock2.jpg

Geek Alert! :D

Well, if everyone is so keen on seeing Quantum of the Seas blocks/parts, there is this image:

This image is from the blog page about the Getaway on the NCL website

http://www.buildinggetaway.ncl.com/2013/05/first-float-up/:

If it is indeed the Getaway - and not a stock photo of the Breakaway - then the blocks on the dock are likely Quantum's.

PossibleQuantumblock2.jpg

Random I know but does anyone know what the purpose of the bridge sticking out in front like the NCL is for?

I did some sleuthing of my own on my lunch. I'll attach three images here. It's one of the two circled blocks from the block plan. Likely the orange one. Let me explain why.

Looking at the MW image, you can see that there is a piece toward the back that has a grid with smaller squares. That is for the exhaust pipes. So that gives you a general axis of where the blocks have to be.

Now take a look at the highlighted section of the MW picture. You see a bump out there. If you compare that to the deck plan picture, you can see deck six and above have the bump out while five and below do not. They have the lifeboats, hull, etc so the shape is different.

Back at the MW image, you can also see there are elevator shafts on either side of the block towards the front. Also in this image, you can see there are four floors with cabin spaces toward the outsides.

So if you add all this up, it has to be one of the two blocks circled. Likely you are seeing decks six through nine in that MW picture. I just cannot find a good enough block plan image to figure out if its the white or orange block. But given the bump out, and given the lifeboat locations, I have to say its the higher up block. Would also make sense to be the orange one too due to the fact that the green one above that would be decks ten through 13, or the remaining passenger cabin decks. Enjoy!

blockplan1.jpg

Untitled1.jpg

Capture3.jpg

Nice work. I think we are all looking at the same block area.