Quantum Keel Blocks are in the House!

Some photos and description from the Mobimar:

Royal Caribbean International's new Quantum of the Seas is proceeding nicely in Meyer Werft's shipyard in Papenburg, Germany. Similarly Mobimar is welding the RipCord by iFLY steel and aluminium sections together in their facilities 1215 km (755 miles) away.

The steel and aluminium blocks have been insulated and outfitted with massive fiberglass air ducts that the wind tunnel license owner SkyVenture has manufactured in Texas and shipped to Finland. There are two variable pitch fans in both vertical columns accelerating the wind speed up to "Autobahn" figures.

After block outfitting and final test assembly the RipCord by iFLY will be factory assembly tested (FAT) before shipping to Papenburg. However, first test runs cannot be performed until the arch and funnels are connected to the air ducts under the sun deck of Quantum of the Seas. Additionally the expensive and specially customized flying chamber can be installed only when the blocks are in position now in the summer.

RipCordonMobimarsite_zpsabd7c34c.jpg

I like what they had to say about this photo: It's not the eye of Sauron (J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings) but fan unit for the RipCord by iFLY, made by SkyVenture.

RipCordfanunit_zps6310505f.jpg

I love that helmet! I'll wear it on the Ripcord!!

And TasL... Whatever happened to "What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas." ?

Sent from Lloyd's mobile phone

Oops. I must have been crossing my toes when I said that. :p

Did you see that Quantum is getting the show Sonic Odyssey? Looks pretty cool.

http://malcolmoliver.wordpress.com/tag/quantum-of-the-seas/

Should be an interesting show.

The Quantum of the Seas is getting nicer looking every day.[/size]

May17photobytouristKerstinConen.jpg

Slowwwly getting prettier. Smile

I read in the comments for one of the Meyer Werft videos that there is still a photo ban. I wonder if this has always been their policy or is it just for the RCI ships!?

I understand RCI not wanting people seeing photos of the inside of the ship as it is outfitted/decorated, but the outside!?

If there were photos of the inside of the ship that ‘got out’, as nice as it would be to see them, I wouldn’t want them posted, as that could put a halt to ANY photos, i.e., outside of the ship, if management found out, I would think. Mind you, we’ve only being seeing photos from the visitor’s center, and I don’t think that Meyer Werft would ban photo taking from there. Or would they? [/size]

Edited by Tough as Leather

Slowwwly getting prettier. Smile

I read in the comments for one of the Meyer Werft videos that there is still a photo ban. I wonder if this has always been their policy or is it just for the RCI ships!?

I understand RCI not wanting people seeing photos of the inside of the ship as it is outfitted/decorated, but the outside!?

If there were photos of the inside of the ship that ‘got out’, as nice as it would be to see them, I wouldn’t want them posted, as that could put a halt to ANY photos, i.e., outside of the ship, if management found out, I would think. Mind you, we’ve only being seeing photos from the visitor’s center, and I don’t think that Meyer Werft would ban photo taking from there. Or would they? [/size]

My guess is the photo ban is just on RCI ships. You will recall there were all kinds of pictures when NCL Breakaway and Getaway where in Hall 6. Some photographers have removed all RCI ship pictures from there site (Ingrid was one last time I checked). You remember those Engine block pictures of Quantum from a while back. No longer on her site as far as I can tell. She had some Radiance Class vessel pictures and those are not there anymore. Strangely there are still pictures of Celebrity Ships.

I agree with you about the inside of the ship. I can see them wanting to have some surprises and the keeping somethings away from the competition. With respect ton the Visitor Center MW will/should continue to allow visitors to take pictures from there. It gets people excited about ship building and cruising which is good for the Industry, Ship Builders and Ship Owners alike. Wish RCI will relax the secrecy a little so that people can get a lot more exited about these ships. IMO the Oasis process was a lot more better.

My guess is the photo ban is just on RCI ships. You will recall there were all kinds of pictures when NCL Breakaway and Getaway where in Hall 6. Some photographers have removed all RCI ship pictures from there site (Ingrid was one last time I checked). You remember those Engine block pictures of Quantum from a while back. No longer on her site as far as I can tell. She had some Radiance Class vessel pictures and those are not there anymore. Strangely there are still pictures of Celebrity Ships.

I agree with you about the inside of the ship. I can see them wanting to have some surprises and the keeping somethings away from the competition. With respect ton the Visitor Center MW will/should continue to allow visitors to take pictures from there. It gets people excited about ship building and cruising which is good for the Industry, Ship Builders and Ship Owners alike. Wish RCI will relax the secrecy a little so that people can get a lot more exited about these ships. IMO the Oasis process was a lot more better.

Good points. And yes - hands off the visitors!

I've seen so much of the outside of the ship, I think I need to leave the inside as a surprise until RCI is ready to reveal. :D

Even wondering if I want to leave a lot of the inside as a surprise UNTIL I cruise on the Anthem in 2016!?! That will be difficult to do!

I looked at so many photos and videos of the Oasis of the Seas before I sailed on her that there wasn't much left to surprise me. Mind you, seeing it in person was a big deal of course.

Having said that, a recent visitor stayed away from the ships, with a photo from hall 5, and nothing else! :D

10265587_677326588971845_5308070186809767607_o_zps2459f47e.jpg

A third for :D good measure.

Edited by Lloyd555

Good points. And yes - hands off the visitors!

I've seen so much of the outside of the ship, I think I need to leave the inside as a surprise until RCI is ready to reveal. :D

Even wondering if I want to leave a lot of the inside as a surprise UNTIL I cruise on the Anthem in 2016!?! That will be difficult to do!

I looked at so many photos and videos of the Oasis of the Seas before I sailed on her that there wasn't much left to surprise me. Mind you, seeing it in person was a big deal of course.

Having said that, a recent visitor stayed away from the ships, with a photo from hall 5, and nothing else! :D

10265587_677326588971845_5308070186809767607_o_zps2459f47e.jpg

A third for :D good measure.

It is very likely that you will still find a surprise in the inside of Anthem when you sail on her :) During my second Oasis sailing I saw some things I did not notice the first time in the RP, Central Park and few other places I did not visit the first time.

Many thanks to the visitors of the Visitor Center at MW with all the exterior ship photos. Keep them coming!

Did you see that Quantum is getting the show Sonic Odyssey? Looks pretty cool.

http://malcolmoliver.wordpress.com/tag/quantum-of-the-seas/

Yes it was available to be booked on my sailing. I didn't know what it was but booked it anyway. I know now, Thank You.

The StarWater Show in Two70 was not listed by name for my 12 night sailing for some reason. Hoping it was one of the "Guest Entertainment" things that were listed.

Denise

Yes it was available to be booked on my sailing. I didn't know what it was but booked it anyway. I know now, Thank You.

The StarWater Show in Two70 was not listed by name for my 12 night sailing for some reason. Hoping it was one of the "Guest Entertainment" things that were listed.

Denise

Yea the Two70 shows don't seem to be up yet, only for the main theatre thus far

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Nice to see a new construction video, but at this point I would much rather see someone in the executive office take responsibility for the dining fiasco and say something. While most on here seemed to be losing interest without them releasing updates for a year, I never did, but now I could care less about the construction and want to see them release a video showing how IT messed up. Maybe the minions can go fix some of the servers, they seem a bit more capable.

RCI Construction update video

http://www.royalcaribbeanpresscenter.com/video/415/quantum-of-the-seas-construction-update-royal-caribbeans-newest-ship-takes-shape/

And this answers the question on whether or not they have started inserting cabins:

Cabin_zpsa21d0b37.png

cabin2_zps679c3aa8.jpg

cabin3_zpsb86bc1b4.png

Wow 60% complete! And Lloyd finally gets his interior pictures!