What cruise lines are you coming from?

purpleally

Bummer. Better not be on my Deck 8 or I'll be peeved :rolleyes:

I have sailed on ships with an outdoor smoking area, and they were never a problem. I never smelled a thing. On Oceania ships (around the same size as Viking Star will be, or a little smaller), the smoking area is in one corner of the pool deck, away from where most people sit and walk. A few smokers are always out there, and I always see them, but the smoke doesn't reach to where I'm walking. Typically, on the nicer cruise lines (at least the ones catering to Americans), there don't seem to be that many smokers anyway. I don't think it'll be a problem for you.

Edited by roothy123

• 2 weeks later...

Just booked the July 25 Viking Homelands. Have only cruised 6 times and all were on Oceania so I am a little apprehensive as to how Viking works. I know you don't have to dress up but I no information regarding the dining venues since I never received a brochure ad they are not listed on line. It' is so far off.

I know you don't have to dress up but I no information regarding the dining venues since I never received a brochure and they are not listed on line. It' is so far off.

As much as we know so far is on this page: http://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/about/cuisine.aspx

The online brochure at the above URL has ALL the information that's in my printed brochure, and more, so explore it and enjoy :-)

We're expecting excellent food. I'm pretty sure we won't be disappointed.

• 2 weeks later...

We did three Regent Cruises and the last two on HAL. No comparison except HAL is a lot less expensive and, of course, you get less. I think Viking is really going to go after Regent. The cruises seem less expensive and, though not as all inclusive, the free drinks with meals and stocked bar in the cabins is more like our earlier cruises on Radisson. I assume Viking charges separately for gratuities. And this will be a brand, spanking new ship while the talk on the Regent boards for years is when is there going to be a new ship. We have been getting Viking brochures as we have been considering a river cruise and have some friends that seem to be on Viking every year so just got of first Viking Ocean brochure.

The "little sisters" of Seabourn have been our first choice in cruising for a few years now. Have always had excellent cruises with them and especially enjoy the small-ship experience. But now the three small ships are leaving the Seabourn fleet, which is sad. I am also Platinum on Princess and we have cruised with HAL a few times (I loved the Rotterdam V - that is the old-style real "cruising" that I so enjoy) and several other cruise lines once.

We decided to try Viking Oceans rather than Seabourn's larger ships, even though the Star is a bit larger, because Viking's itineraries really spoke to us. We just booked today on the Aug. 8 sailing from Bergen to Barcelona, with the pre-cruise excursion to Iceland. The ports are diverse and several are on our travel bucket list. Also love that we will sail up the Thames and the Seine Rivers and that we will be staying two days in several of the ports.

Edited by Jassy

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone.

I'm also Platinum on Princes and love Princess. I've also sailed on Disney, HAL, RCCL, and Norwegian. I've enjoyed them all but I like some better than others.

In March I did Norwegian coastal cruise on Hurtigruten (working ship) and that was amazing. Then in May I did my first Viking river cruise in Russia. That is what sold me on Viking. Even though it was an older ship it was clean and everything was kept in top notch working order. The staff and crew were so nice and friendly and the food was wonderful.

I was trying to figure out what Viking I wanted to do next when the information on the Star came and I couldn't resist. I'm really looking forward to what they are going to do to ocean cruising. Once one factors in all of the included things - excursions, soda, wine and beer at lunch and dinner among others - I think the price is very competitive.

I just wish we didn't have to wait so long to sail! ;)

This is a little off topic, but thought I should mention it. We just booked a Star cruise for Sept. 2015. It was not easy to get travel insurance that far in the future, particularly since we wanted coverage for pre-existing conditions. I normally use insuremytrip but they only had 2 companies with appropriate coverage, with one of them being new. Both companies require that you take the insurance within 21 days of your first cruise payment (deposit) so waiting until 2015 wouldn't work! Our TA talked to the company they recommend and got the company to agree to give us coverage, including the pre-existing, if we waited until September 27, which is when their computer system will start handling insurance for a Sept. 27, 2015 cruise.

Just passing that on in case it applies to others!

Edited by roothy123

We booked for the maiden voyage because I never sailed on a maiden voyage after more than fifty years at sea. I am not worried about delays and malfunctions, but believe that Viking has the experience and ability to handle problems well. Our favorite cruise line has been Azamara, but we are not married to any particular company. The loyalty programs are not really a big incentive for us, but good itineraries and a good crew are the most important things in chosing a good cruise.

We booked for the maiden voyage because I never sailed on a maiden voyage after more than fifty years at sea.

Which leg(s) of the maiden? Penny and I are on the first 2 legs, making us very maidenly maidens I suppose :-)

• 1 month later...

Wife and I are Elite on Celebrity, Plantium on Princess and have a few sailings on HAL and NCL. We are both in our early 50's, no kids and can/do travel off peak times.

We have been switching between Celebrity and Princess, have no issue with either line and our next two bookings are on those lines(Christmas in the Caribbean on Princess and Australia/NZ in March on Celebrity).

Just saw the Viking Ocean sailings, really like the free wifi, real king size bed and that it is a new decent sized ship with a dedicated movie theatre. Prices look better than Oceanic or Crystal and the staterooms look larger and nicer than Azamara and all the other old R Ships sailing. Hope to be on board in a couple years.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...
We are Gold in Regent and we love Seabourn as well.

Considering Viking but still not sure....

I understand they are considering creating a Viper cocktail, which should merit your consideration. Had a similar sense of hesitation, but the web presentation persuaded me. More importantly, it persuaded She Who Must Be Obeyed.

There hardly seems time aboard for trivia, which is a mixed blessed.

Hope to see you aboard.

• 3 weeks later...

I guess we are non-loyalists. Been on them all, but none more than 5 times. Just enough to get to one perk and no further. Probably a mistake on our part, but each has their advantages and price points. You might say we have eclectic tastes when it comes to cruising.

Leaders based on taken or booked. Carnival Corp leads but spread out between 4 cruise lines.

5 Princess, 5 HAL, 2 Carnival, 1 Seabourn (13 Carnival Corp)

5 RCCL, 2 Azamara, 1 Celebrity (8 RCI)

5 Silversea

Edited by cruisinsince75

• 6 months later...

We have sailed Princess and Carnival - ships are too big for us and food not what we had hoped for. We loved Viking rivers Amsterdam to Budapest - everything about them. So we are sailing 29 days Barcelona to Stockholm next year on the Star - super excited to be with Viking again. We have more river cruising to do, but depending on future Oceans itineraries as they expand their fleet, we will see.

We are taking our first HAL cruise this fall - one of their smaller ships the Ryndam - so not sure if they will be able to live up to Viking, but the itinerary and reviews are good so we will see some great ports with them as well.

Cruising is actually not our favorite method of travel, but we've done a fair number. Sail mainly on Azamara these days; prefer smaller ships. Planning on trying Windstar at some point. Loved the look of the Viking Homelands itinerary on Viking Oceans, and am looking forward to a shiny new ship! Not onboard until 2016, though....the balconies certainly sold out quickly for 2015!

We've done:

May 1993 Royal Caribbean - Eastern Caribbean (fun in the sun)

May 2002 Royal Caribbean - Southern Caribbean (fun in the sun II)

May 2008 Norwegian - Alaska (gorgeous scenery but not a fan of NCL)

Dec 2009 Costa - Western Caribbean (kitschy fun for New Year's, but organizational disaster)

May 2011 Azamara Quest - Eastern Med (found our cruising home)

Oct 2011 Galapagos Explorer II - Galapagos (great trip, but I'd do a tiny boat next time)

Mar 2012 A&K Sun Boat IV - Nile River (fabulous!)

May 2013 Pacific Catalyst (12 pax!) - Glacier Bay (unbelievably wonderful!)

Jan 2014 Azamara Quest - through the Panama Canal (another lovely trip on Azamara)

Mar 2014 Celebrity Reflection - Eastern Caribbean (fun in the sun III girls trip with my SIL)

and have an Azamara RT from Venice to Croatia and Montenegro and Paul Gauguin in Tahiti planned in addition to the Viking Oceans

• 2 months later...
Oceania regulars, although we did one cruise each with Princess and Celebrity. I'm an oldie too - sailed on the SS America to Europe as a kid when the family was assigned to Bonn (State Dept.) Sailed once on the United States, too. Viking Star sounds very much like Oceania.

It should sound like the small ships as the design used was originally for the Renaissance 9

Jancruz1

• 1 month later...

That's interesting, Jancruz -- hadn't heard that before. So the Viking Oceans' platform -- how similar to Renaissance 9? What's different? How close was Renaissance to ordering a new class of ships before it went under? Curious!

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

It should sound like the small ships as the design used was originally for the Renaissance 9

Jancruz1

I've booked my husband and myself on the Inaugural Viking Sea. I like Maiden voyages and spending a few days in Istanbul prior to the cruise is certainly no hardship.

Over the last decade I have sailed on a number of different ocean cruise lines.

We prefer smaller ships (checked the block on the Epic, the Eclipse, the Solstice... had a good time but don't need to go there again).

Fully concur with whomever mentioned wanting a strict smoking limitation policy.

-Holly

whose past adventures include Costa, MSC, Crystal, Voyages of Discovery, NCL, RCCL, Celebrity, Phoenix ....