West Palm Beach

patterson3

I've never flown into West Palm Beach before, but I saved approx. $250 by flying into West Palm (vs. FLL) from Boston, and I was wondering if anyone can give me any advice re: the West Palm Beach airport? I'm guessing it's pretty small (relatively speaking) and therefore much easier to get in and out of. According to Google it's a little less than an hour to Port Everglades from the airport. Does traffic on 95 usually make that longer or should I plan on about an hour for a Saturday?

Thanks in advance.

Yes, the airport is smaller then Fort Lauderdale and of course Miami.

To get between your ship and the airport the most cost effective option is likely to rent a car and plan for an hour drive so be sure to factor all of this into your planning.

Keith

To get between your ship and the airport the most cost effective option is likely to rent a car and plan for an hour drive so be sure to factor all of this into your planning.

Keith

Thank you Keith!

According to Google it's a little less than an hour to Port Everglades from the airport. Does traffic on 95 usually make that longer or should I plan on about an hour for a Saturday?

Thanks in advance.

I fly in and out of FLL and PBI regularly (mostly FLL, but lately several times for PBI). Allowing an hour on a Saturday should be fine, barring any unusual circumstances (wrecks, etc.)

Keith

Actually, if no mobility limitation and packing light, the most cost effective transfer is TriRail. Very efficient and frequently maintains time schedules.

Actually, if no mobility limitation and packing light, the most cost effective transfer is TriRail. Very efficient and frequently maintains time schedules.
Do yourself a favor and don't use TriRail. Not designed for Tourist & Cruise Line Passengers.

Price everything out carefully. All Florida airports have a mess and mass of fees. By the time you pay for airport fees, toll roads (cashless and must have the transponder or you will receive bill for toll and penalty),drop off fees for one way -- even FLL and MIA which share ground facilities for rental cars can have one way fees:mad: maybe cab for the final few miles it is likely that your "savings" is down to not worth it. More and more I am finding this true with time and effort and risk adding up to a factor as well as the cost. (late night flight cheaper but inconvenient, long layover cheaper but food in airport really expensive and annoyance of announcements etc are wearing, LONG flights made longer by multiple stops, so few flights now that if one flight is misaligned can you get another?).

Working on this now with a stopover in Tahiti -- Tuesday flight is $400 cheaper but then I need a hotel room for 2 nights in Paradise. Nandi Fiji is cheaper flight and resorts but the better resorts are 2 hours from the airport (yeah I heard the one to one and a half hour claim but it always does take longer!) and cost more. Is it worth $500 pp for nonstop flight to final destination (AKL)? Travel today does not seem to be just the price but so many other factors. Sometimes it gives me a headache. And with few or poorly trained travel agents, they can't spend the time perfecting plans that I can as a compulsive travel planner.

Good luck. Find a price you can live with and a set of circumstances that aren't too bad then forget about it -- change fees are too high to worry about.

Do yourself a favor and don't use TriRail. Not designed for Tourist & Cruise Line Passengers.

I have used it and found it excellent for me. I pack light with only one medium bag and had no problem.

I have used it and found it excellent for me. I pack light with only one medium bag and had no problem.

BQ is right. TriRail is fine if you travel light. If you have large bags and carryons...a rental car would be better.

We actually did a trial run on the TriRail last winter.....over the whole route. It was clean, our train was fairly new, with plenty of room for bags. We went mid-day, midweek so there were only a modest number of pax. The bus connection to MIA was ready for us when we arrived at the last rail stop.

Note: if you want the senior rate you have to jump thru a couple of hoops (like getting a photo ID card---provided by TriRail), it takes a little time to do it, so allow for it.

Price everything out carefully. All Florida airports have a mess and mass of fees. By the time you pay for airport fees, toll roads (cashless and must have the transponder or you will receive bill for toll and penalty)
There are no toll roads between PBI and FLL, unless you go way out of your way to find one. Use I-95...no tolls.
,drop off fees for one way
Shop for a rental car. Certain companies have no drop-off rates within Florida. Suggestion: Use Priceline 'name your own price' for a one way rental.
-- even FLL and MIA which share ground facilities for rental cars
FLL and MIA do not share rental facilities...they are too far apart.
can have one way fees

Are located remotely from the airport, and require a short shuttle bus ride. Each car company has its own bus fleet, so allow a little extra time to get your rental

AG

It's a light rail at Miami, not a shuttle bus, and very efficient. However, it can be a LONG walk. There are several sets of moving walkways but still requires a great deal of walking. At the car rental complex, upon returning the car, some of the rental companies did transfer you to the ports. Be sure to tip, so they continue this- in my opinion. It's a great service. (I hope still available?)

toll roads (cashless and must have the transponder or you will receive bill for toll and penalty),

Not quite. If you go through a Sun Pass lane on the FL turnpike yes, you need a transponder. If you don't have one, there are lanes that take cash, OR have a "pay by plate" option, where a picture is taken of your license plate and you are sent a monthly bill...no penalty. I believe the Miami-Dade Co. section of the turnpike has gone strictly to Sun Pass or Pay by Plate, and presumably the rest will follow. Either way, it is not mandatory to have a transponder.

I've never flown into West Palm Beach before, but I saved approx. $250 by flying into West Palm (vs. FLL) from Boston, and I was wondering if anyone can give me any advice re: the West Palm Beach airport? I'm guessing it's pretty small (relatively speaking) and therefore much easier to get in and out of. According to Google it's a little less than an hour to Port Everglades from the airport. Does traffic on 95 usually make that longer or should I plan on about an hour for a Saturday?

Thanks in advance.

I would highly recommend the West Palm Beach Airport. We flew there last year for a cruise out of Fort Lauderdale. Flying a couple of days prior, we had to rent a car anyway. We found that there were no drop off fees for Alamo. Then we dropped off the car at the airport and they shuttled us for free to the port.

Coming home, we took the shuttle and rented another car for the day as we had flights around 5pm. We spent the day with friends in that area and dropped off the car at West Palm, no lines or waits. Basically we saved over 400 for four people. It was the least stressful airport experience that I have had in years.

3. Toll roads. You can end up on a toll road around the Miami FT Lauderdale area without even trying. Take the exit the wrong way and there you go. I am almost a native but still every time you go something seems to be changed

The OP is potentially going from PBI to Port Everglades. That's pretty much a straight shot on I-95, which has no tolls. The FL turnpike is a toll road, but much more out of the way from either PBI or PE than I-95, so it's highly doubtful the OP would end up traveling on it.

2. Somebody said that there is not shared facilities between MIA and FLL. The shared facility is where they do the repair work, the mechanical work and keep the fleet. They also sell cars from here and my SIL bought a car from them awhile back. The price from local rental office can be cheaper than airport but not always and this shared facility is where the local cars come from also.

4. I usually reserve my rental car very early and secure with credit card but do not pay for the car. A week or so before the trip, I then check all the different companies out again and this time with specials and prepaid rate. Can often save money this way. DO reserve ahead of time. There is usually cars to rent but I have hit town not realizing that their was a concert or sports event etc. and not cars to be had.

QUOTE]

Local offices sometimes don't shuttle so there can be added expenses of taxis.

What rentals do you reserve with a credit card? None of the majors I have used, Alamo, Thrifty, Avis in the last year, ever have required any credit card with a reservation. Prepayment is a different story certainly, but that is no what you have noted?

It's a light rail at Miami, not a shuttle bus, and very efficient. However, it can be a LONG walk. There are several sets of moving walkways but still requires a great deal of walking. At the car rental complex, upon returning the car, some of the rental companies did transfer you to the ports. Be sure to tip, so they continue this- in my opinion. It's a great service. (I hope still available?)

That free shuttle was still operating in February ... we used the one provided by National/Alamo, and it worked great, getting to the Port of Miami, and then back to MIA.

AG

Archived