AMA claiming "no cancelled cruises" on Facebook

nana541

My feelings about AMA has everything to do with customer service. It didn't matter where I was taking their riverboat, it was the answers to the questions and the way everything was handled by management. I just took my business to other companies and don't have to deal with them ever again. No more lost sleep over AMA for me.

Sheila

I have sensed from reading many different threads here that river cruises in Russia are very different, disirregardless of the cruise line. The ship designs are all very different from those in central Europe, the cuisine and service standards are different, and it seems as if the cruises themselves are being run by different management. So it's no surprise that the home offices are less in control and less "in the loop."

I don't think Coral and Shosana2's experiences show an AMA issue; rather it's a Russia issue. [At least that's my hope, since I'm booked on AMA in a few months!]

My feelings about AMA has everything to do with customer service. It didn't matter where I was taking their riverboat, it was the answers to the questions and the way everything was handled by management. I just took my business to other companies and don't have to deal with them ever again. No more lost sleep over AMA for me.

Sheila

I agree with Sheila. When they lie to you about simple things like how many days you are spending in a port, one questions the companies ethics and customer service. There were several things they knew but didn't tell people until after it was too late to cancel. My comments concerning the company deal entirely with my Customer Service dealings with them and honestly, I would not trust them.

Coral and Shoshona, it is clear you had a bad experience, but without more specifics (read the lie about nights in port - was your itinerary changed, was there an emergency such as water levels :confused:) it's difficult to understand your frustration, but I respect your feelings.

You have taken your business elsewhere, and that is exactly what I would do if I experienced such a high level of dissatisfaction.

Hopefully those AMA customers dealing with the current situation on the Danube will report back with their perceptions of how AMA handled the challenges.

We have also encountered extremely bad and inaccurate information from AMA's Customer Service headquarters. They need to get their act together. I am also not surprised at the conflicting information people are receiving from AMA. We also received complete opposite information from their office and it turned out both individuals were wrong. I had such high hopes for this company.

We have also encountered extremely bad and inaccurate information from AMA's Customer Service headquarters. They need to get their act together. I am also not surprised at the conflicting information people are receiving from AMA. We also received complete opposite information from their office and it turned out both individuals were wrong. I had such high hopes for this company.

Again, more information would be appreciated. What was the context of the misinformation? Was this a past cruise? Are you impacted by the current flooding situation?

We were on an AMA cruise in fall of 2011 when the rivers were very high. We saw a number of river boats (Viking among them) that simply parked and moved their passengers to buses.

Our boat, the AmaDante, and Captain were able to complete the cruise without mishap. There was one day where we were supposed to sail the Rhine Gorge and the boat could not make it. AMA chartered a brand new day sailing vessel that accommodated 600 passengers and loaded it up with food and drink and took us down the Gorge. Guests raved about the entire experience and how it was handled.

That was my experience and it was very impressive.

We continue to choose AMA as our two cruises with them have been exceptional.

To sippican,

Please email me at scorpiosheila12 at roadrunner dot com and put Cruise Critic in the subject line.

sheila

I also have no problems if people email me to explain the problems we encountered with AMA's Customer Service and the lies they told us (and it didn't have to do with river levels being high or medical emergencies). My point in posting to this thread was that AMA Corporate provided a lot of inaccurate information and I am not surprised they are providing conflicting information now.

Our travel agent told us 3 days ago to go to the AMA Waterways site and check the updates for the European cruises tours. It tells us to check back on June 7. Well it's June 7 eastern Standard Time and the update message has not changed in 3 days. It's difficult to understand that several other cruise lines have cancelled similar trips and yet AMA hasn't said a thing different in the last 3 days. We are flying to Frankfurt on June 10 to visit friend then flying to Prague on June 14 to meet up with the tour. It would be a great let down to be in Germany and then find out at the last minute that the Romantic Danube trip has been cancelled. Our travel agent said that Ama stated that they would assist us in making homeward travel reservations. I hope we don't get left up the mid stream without a paddle.

Our travel agent told us 3 days ago to go to the AMA Waterways site and check the updates for the European cruises tours. It tells us to check back on June 7. Well it's June 7 eastern Standard Time and the update message has not changed in 3 days. It's difficult to understand that several other cruise lines have cancelled similar trips and yet AMA hasn't said a thing different in the last 3 days. We are flying to Frankfurt on June 10 to visit friend then flying to Prague on June 14 to meet up with the tour. It would be a great let down to be in Germany and then find out at the last minute that the Romantic Danube trip has been cancelled. Our travel agent said that Ama stated that they would assist us in making homeward travel reservations. I hope we don't get left up the mid stream without a paddle.

The 14th is a week away and things are changing fast, I would be surprised if they could tell you anything this far in advance.

That said I understand your frustration with the lack of even brief update!

Note: AMA's Facebook page has an update dated yesterday June 6 at 4:30pm, they are not mentioning any cruises past about the 10th or 11th.... It's just too early for your departure!

I was just speaking with my TA, who was on AMA and Uniworld earlier this year. She noted that Uniworld had to bus them to the ship to begin the cruise because high water had prevented it from reaching the port -- but that AMA was sailing right along that same stretch. It seems that AMA designed their ships with a more fully retractable ship's bridge so they have the lowest profile on the river. That's why they were able to keep sailing when other lines were forced to cancel.

Note: if you would prefer not to sail because the ports won't be 100%, AMA sells insurance that includes "any reason" (I checked and my policy includes this). But even if not, my TA was able to get AMA to issue a future cruise voucher for a customer who had NO insurance.

So they are taking care of their passengers, even if people haven't been able to find the information they wanted as quickly as they wanted it.

To sippican,

Please email me at scorpiosheila12 at roadrunner dot com and put Cruise Critic in the subject line.

sheila

I also have no problems if people email me to explain the problems we encountered with AMA's Customer Service and the lies they told us (and it didn't have to do with river levels being high or medical emergencies). My point in posting to this thread was that AMA Corporate provided a lot of inaccurate information and I am not surprised they are providing conflicting information now.

I appreciate your offers to communicate your issues via e-mail. If you feel it is not appropriate to share the details of the claims you've made, I'm okay with leaving things unsaid.

Looks like Tauck has their feet in the fire now

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1858232

I can't imagine how difficult this situation is for them along with the others. They have an impeccable reputation in the river cruise industry, yet are having the same difficulties. Just shows what a unique situation this is.

Thoughts with everyone impacted!

CC reports from AMA passengers on board show me that their cruises are indeed going on with a minimal-enough impact that I would be glad they DIDN'T cancel.

The latest pictures from Passau show a remarkably fast recovery effort, and I for one would be happy to bring back memories of being a "vicarious survivor" of this momentous event.

I'm very glad our August Rhine cruise is on AMA, as I feel they have come through these trials with flying colors.

But everyone is different. Those who have been totally freaked out all week about the impossibility of a normal experience and demanded cancellations with refunds for 2-3 months--should take their business to one of the lines that cancelled lots of cruises.

Archived