How long to buy insurance before cruise?

jtwanabe

There is not one answer that is best for everyone.

Here are some things to consider:

- Many policies waive the pre-existing medical condition exclusion if you buy the policy within 10-21 days of the first payment on the trip. You usually have to insure all nonrefundable prepaid expenses. The same can be said for the 'cancel for any reason' option.

- You can wait to buy insurance until close to your trip, but you absorb some risk by waiting. Of course, medical conditions can happen at any time. But also if a tropical storm is announced, then it is too late for you to buy insurance and be covered against hurricane issues.

All policies are NOT the same. Their coverages might sound the same, but the devil is in the details. I always buy my trip insurance from this site: http://www.tripinsurancestore.com

That site has a ton of useful information to help you pick the best policy for you.

In my opinion, the most important coverages are emergency medical evacuation (could easily cost over $50,000 and anyone could have an appendix burst, break a bone that needs surgery, etc.) and medical coverage (if you don't have a policy that covers you outside the USA.)

D4 makes a lot of good points. Your personal situation will determine your insurance needs--there's no one right answer.

I always compare policies on InsureMyTrip.com and buy from them. Excellent information and customer service.

Spend an hour reading on this site. There are threads just about every week on this Carnival forum where someone posts that they didn't buy insurance and then becomes seriously ill days or a relative is deathly ill days before their cruise and they cannot go. I feel for them, but they chose to take the risk by not buying insurance. I don't know why they expect the cruise line to have sympathy for them and refund their money or give credit towards a future cruise. They gambled by not buying insurance and lost.

Again, I think emergency medical evacuation and medical coverages are the most important. I guess I would add in missed connection coverage.

Other coverages are nice to have since they are usually sold in a bundle. For example, I think cancellation coverage is nice, but most of us could lose the cost of the trip and not suffer horrible financial hardship. (I admit it would be the pits.) But it doesn't compare to needing to spend $75,000 to be emergency evacuated because you slipped on a wet floor, broke a bone badly, and the ship's doctor says it needs surgery. Things like this happen, even to young healthy people.

I've used it three times. Doctor visit on my first cruise to flip my eyelid for a stuck contact (ugh), second for the airlines losing one of the two shoes on three different pairs and third time was again, missing shoes and a suitcase that was wrecked.

I now put my shoes in my carryon btw. Lol.

Anyone ever know anyone that has ever had to use it. I'm not questioning the need just the experience. (I have no per-existing conditions)

We did! And it meant getting a $2,000 refund! I had purchased insurance that included a "Cancel for Work Reasons" clause. I booked the cruise with a hunch that I would be getting promoted around the time I went on the cruise, which would mean that my vacation would be cancelled to go to training. Sure enough, about 2 weeks before sailing, I received the happy (or dreaded) news that I was getting promoted and that training was slated for (you guessed it) the same week as my cruise.

I had to get a notarized letter from my employer and I sent it to the insurance company. A few weeks later, I received a check in the mail for the full non-refundable amount (which we used a few months later to book another cruise). Best $49 I've spent in a long time!

Not all reasons to cancel a cruise are medical (as you can see from my experience). There are SO many things that can derail a vacation. IMHO, its completely worth it.

Here's another recent example of why insurance is good to have even if you are young and healthy.

We are sailing this Saturday (family of 14, several first time cruisers). I HIGHLY recommended that everyone purchased insurance. Some did and some didn't. My brother in law thought that it was a dumb idea. Sure enough, we found out few weeks after final payment that my sister was pregnant, but unfortunately, a few days ago, she had a miscarriage (with 10 days to go before the cruise!)

Fortunately, she has recovered quickly and the doctor gave her the green light to go on the cruise, but can you imagine if this had happened a few days later, during the cruise, while AT SEA???

Insurance would've been key, not only covering travel expenses, but also a very costly medical (and possible evacuation) bill.

If you play blackjack and have ever looked at a book or video to learn how to play it better you'll know, insurance is never a good bet.

it's really the same for travel insurance.

Oh sure, there's lots of people who'll tell you how insurance saved them thousands, but strictly statistically speaking, it's not a good purchase, especially if you travel often.

If this is a trip of a lifetime event and you really don't travel that much, then I'd suggest you buy the insurance. But if this is a standard vacation, one similar to other's you take every year or twice a year, then buying insurance is a losing proposition.

Insurance premiums are about 10% of the cost being insured (trip cancellation insurance), which strictly speaking means that you're betting there's a greater than 10% chance something will happen to cancel the trip and receive full refund from insurance. As example, I've taken 14 cruise vacations, and about 10 resort vacations in the last 13 years. That's 24 trips costing on average about $7000 each. If I had bought insurance each time, I would have paid over $15,000 in insurance. That's enough to pay for 2 full additional vacations.

As it was, none of those 24 trips had any issues requiring reimbursement, so in my case I won the gamble and now, even if a future trip is cancelled and I have to pay the whole thing out of pocket, I'm still saving money. If it was statistically a good bet in your favour, the insurance companies wouldn't offer it. They only offer it because just like in blackjack, the house always wins in the long run.

As for medical insurance, same thing really. Chances of having a major health issue on vacation are very slim. not zero of course, but slim. Unless of course you're old and/or at risk, in which case you're either not going to be able to get insurance or your premiums will be sky high.

In our case, we have some health coverage for trips from my wife's employer insurance package we're a part of which covers major stuff, but minor issues that arise come out of pocket. I had to see some doctors in UK one trip and it added about $1500-$2,000 out of pocket. some of which was reimbursed later from the employer and our provincial government. total cost out of pocket in the end was about $1200. Another trip I had to pay for a doctor visit, which cost about $200.

We reduce our risk whenever possible. for example we never fly in on the day of departure. We fly in at least a day in advance and on overseas trips at least 2 days in advance to reduce risk from flight delays and such. We live in Canada, so if planning a winter trip, from home town of Calgary to say, Florida, we will try to have direct flights or connect through Houston instead of connecting through Toronto as that reduces by 50% the likelihood of snow delays. Baggage loss by airlines and excessive airline delays costs are insured by the credit card I use to book the flights.

Further... Sometimes if something does happen to cause a voluntary cancellation, it happens prior to the 100% loss deadline. Even after final payment is due, there is a staggered refund percentage, which in all but the most last minute cases will result in some refund.

So for myself, 24 trips costing about $7000 each, just $1400 in out of pocket medical costs and no cancellations where I lost any non-refundable money. I've had one flight delay that made me miss my connection, but because of flying in a day in advance it was no harm done and the airline paid the cost to get me to my destination as it was their fault I missed the connection.

I did buy insurance once. It was for a very expensive trip to Europe around the time the Iceland volcano was mucking up air travel and so I spent about $800 on that. (didn't need the insurance in the end)

Summary: I saved about $12,000-$13,000 by not buying insurance. I acknowledge that one day something could happen to change the cost/benefit math in my case, but it's very unlikely and that's the whole point.

If, like me, you always split two 8's and always double down on two Aces, you should never buy insurance unless there is some external risk that alters the math.

Anyone ever know anyone that has ever had to use it. I'm not questioning the

need just the experience. (I have no per-existing conditions)

Yes I have known someone who had to use it for their child who was horsing around and severely broke their arm. The break required some surgery, so medevac was required. Very expensive, but at least they took insurance.

I also had a patient who tripped in St Thomas and broke her hip. She was flown by air ambulance to my hospital in Florida for treatment and surgery.

These are just two instances. Not to mention on here a week or so ago someone mentioned their flight was so delayed that they missed the ship requiring them to fly to the next foreign port to board the ship. So unexpected things happen and I try to stress to people it is for more than just cancellation.

If you play blackjack and have ever looked at a book or video to learn how to play it better you'll know, insurance is never a good bet.

Oh sure, there's lots of people who'll tell you how insurance saved them thousands, but strictly statistically speaking, it's not a good purchase, especially if you travel often.

If this is a trip of a lifetime event and you really don't travel that much, then I'd suggest you buy the insurance. But if this is a standard vacation, one similar to other's you take every year or twice a year, then buying insurance is a losing proposition.

Insurance premiums are about 10% of the cost being insured (trip cancellation insurance), which strictly speaking means that you're betting there's a greater than 10% chance something will happen to cancel the trip and receive full refund from insurance. As example, I've taken 14 cruise vacations, and about 10 resort vacations in the last 13 years. That's 24 trips costing on average about $7000 each. If I had bought insurance each time, I would have paid over $15,000 in insurance. That's enough to pay for 2 full additional vacations.

As it was, none of those 24 trips had any issues requiring reimbursement, so in my case I won the gamble and now, even if a future trip is cancelled and I have to pay the whole thing out of pocket, I'm still saving money. If it was statistically a good bet in your favour, the insurance companies wouldn't offer it. They only offer it because just like in blackjack, the house always wins in the long run.

As for medical insurance, same thing really. Chances of having a major health issue on vacation are very slim. not zero of course, but slim. Unless of course you're old and/or at risk, in which case you're either not going to be able to get insurance or your premiums will be sky high.

In our case, we have some health coverage for trips from my wife's employer insurance package we're a part of which covers major stuff, but minor issues that arise come out of pocket. I had to see some doctors in UK one trip and it added about $1500-$2,000 out of pocket. some of which was reimbursed later from the employer and our provincial government. total cost out of pocket in the end was about $1200. Another trip I had to pay for a doctor visit, which cost about $200.

We reduce our risk whenever possible. for example we never fly in on the day of departure. We fly in at least a day in advance and on overseas trips at least 2 days in advance to reduce risk from flight delays and such. We live in Canada, so if planning a winter trip, from home town of Calgary to say, Florida, we will try to have direct flights or connect through Houston instead of connecting through Toronto as that reduces by 50% the likelihood of snow delays. Baggage loss by airlines and excessive airline delays costs are insured by the credit card I use to book the flights.

Further... Sometimes if something does happen to cause a voluntary cancellation, it happens prior to the 100% loss deadline. Even after final payment is due, there is a staggered refund percentage, which in all but the most last minute cases will result in some refund.

So for myself, 24 trips costing about $7000 each, just $1400 in out of pocket medical costs and no cancellations where I lost any non-refundable money. I've had one flight delay that made me miss my connection, but because of flying in a day in advance it was no harm done and the airline paid the cost to get me to my destination as it was their fault I missed the connection.

I did buy insurance once. It was for a very expensive trip to Europe around the time the Iceland volcano was mucking up air travel and so I spent about $800 on that. (didn't need the insurance in the end)

Summary: I saved about $12,000-$13,000 by not buying insurance. I acknowledge that one day something could happen to change the cost/benefit math in my case, but it's very unlikely and that's the whole point.

If, like me, you always split two 8's and always double down on two Aces, you should never buy insurance unless there is some external risk that alters the math.

Does Travel insurance usually run that high in Canada? Because your estimates seem really high! If so, I can understand hesitating before taking the gamble. But for me it was a no brainer since my insurance cost me about $45 pp and my child was free.

I have used it twice. Once when my (totally healthy) dd had an appendicitis attack and she and I were offloaded in Belize for 3 days - and the other time when I caught norovirus 1 day before my cruise. We got back every penny of cruisefare, airfare, medical expenses, etc. Best money I ever lay out. I just consider it part of my cruise cost, and buy it within 5 minutes of booking any cruise or land vacation. (we use Travelguard Gold Assist)

Insurance for our family of 4 runs about $110 per trip.

On our last cruise we all got ill and the kids needed the on board doctor.

on arriving at Port Canaveral we were met by an ambulance and taked to hospital for suspected appendicitis for my son.

didn't end up needing it but medical costs in the USA being what they are the total medical bill ended up being over $10,000

It was covered.

being sick and needing a hospital at sea and a helicopter trip would be WAY more expensive.

its up to you.. I bought it for peace of mind and hoped not to use it.

If you buy it and nothing happens - great

If you buy if and something happens - that's unlucky but it won't hit you financially.

If you don't buy it and nothing happens - great you are up $100 bucks or so.

If you don't buy it and something happens - bad news for you and your pocket.

chances are nothing will happen - that's how insurance is so cheap for stuff like this - enough people pay and few claim. Insurance companys have professionals to work out the risk.

your call

...insurance is never a good bet.

...strictly statistically speaking, it's not a good purchase, specially if you travel often.

Since you are into statistics, you should also know that by traveling often, you also increase your chances of running into a situation that would derail your vacation. If you travel two times a year, you double your chances of needing insurance.

Chances of me getting in a car accident today are low. Does that mean that I should cancel my car insurance? Because statistically speaking. I don't need it. :rolleyes:

Insurance premiums are about 10% of the cost being insured (trip cancellation insurance).

We insured our upcoming cruise for $95 (or 1.9% of the cost of our vacation). Your numbers are off.

Your statistics mean NOTHING if you happen to be the ONE person whose vacation plans get ruined.

There's something MUCH more important to me than the odds, percentages and probabilities. And that is the PEACE OF MIND that comes with knowing that, in the remote chance that something does happen, I'm covered.

We always buy insurance. So 7 cruises with insurance and 1 without. I planned a cruise last year. After I booked the cruise I priced the insurance but decided to do it the next day. Of course I forgot.

Three days before we were to leave my daughter who was fighting breast cancer got some very bad news. We cancelled our cruise. I never gave a second thought to the money I lost. It was paid in full so it was water already under the bridge. I do think Carnival should have given me credit for that cruise since we paid for it.

I didn't even kick myself for forgetting to get the insurance. One thing my daughter's battle taught me is that of all the things that matter is life money is at the bottom of the list.

Your blackjack analogy is laughable. For me, buying the insurance gives me peace of mind, and is affordable (roughly 3.7%) of my cruise fare. You say do the math. I am also an avid blackjack player, but I know how to count cards, and when you know the true count, there are times when you don't split 8's, and you do take insurance!!!

BTW, show me any basic strategy that tells you to double down on two aces. You split them!!

Since I travel solo and often I am willing to eat the cost of my trip should something come up and I can't go, so I do not purchase a policy that inlcudes cancellation. I do, however, always purchase a last minute policy, Travel Guard calls it "Pack and Go". This covers me from the time I leave my doorstep should something happen and is very cheap since it does not include cancellation. It usually costs me about $20. I think it is totally woth it for the peace of mind, or should an emergency ever arise.

I would buy immediately after booking my cruise. A friend of mine does this, luckily, as 3 weeks after she booked she was diagnosed with cancer. She is doing great and does not think it will cause her to cancel her cruise in Feb.,2014, but if it does, she is covered. Also, very important-when you buy insurance, you must be able to travel that day. In other words,

if you could not cruise when you buy the insurance because of a certain condition, then if that condition stops you from cruising later on the cruise you bought the insurance for, you are out of luck. Read the fine print.

We always buy insurance. So 7 cruises with insurance and 1 without. I planned a cruise last year. After I booked the cruise I priced the insurance but decided to do it the next day. Of course I forgot.

Three days before we were to leave my daughter who was fighting breast cancer got some very bad news. We cancelled our cruise. I never gave a second thought to the money I lost. It was paid in full so it was water already under the bridge. I do think Carnival should have given me credit for that cruise since we paid for it.

I didn't even kick myself for forgetting to get the insurance. One thing my daughter's battle taught me is that of all the things that matter is life money is at the bottom of the list.

Prayers for your daughter, your family, and all the people that love her.

My MIL has stage 4 cancer, when we booked our cruise, my DH discussed with our PVP, she said we had until the day our final payment was due to add the insurance, she said if we are in port and something happens, no matter which port, they will fly him home. We used the CCL insurance and added it on June 1st as our final payment was due June 5th.

Prayers for your daughter, your family, and all the people that love her.

She lost her battle with Inflammatory Breast Cancer in Feb. She was only 33.

Thank you for your prayers. Even though she is gone we still need prayers as we try to figure out how to live without the sunshine of our lives.

Casey (my daughter) was married on the Pride in March of 2010. Next year we are doing a memorial cruise and sprinkling some of her ashes in the sea.

I appreciate small acts of kindness so much more now. So I really appreciate your kind words.

Yes. Just this last cruise (May 25 on the Breeze) My parents had to cancel. They got a full refund. Insured though CSA Booked through Insuremytrip

You double down on a pair of aces?????

I don't think the blackjack analogy makes any sense. In blackjack, you know exactly how much money is at stake. Also, if you hit a bad streak of losing, you can just stop playing and you won't lose any more money.

With a cruise, the potential loss is unknown and difficult to quantify. And once you've incurred a loss, you can't change your mind and say ok now I want to insure the rest of my trip to limit my losses.

I agree that buying trip insurance just for the cancellation coverage doesn't make sense for everyone. But IMO, unless you're really wealthy, you should have emergency medical evacuation coverage. You may have a low likelihood of needing that coverage, but if you do then you can easily have to pay $50,000 or more. Most health insurance policies do not cover medical evacuation even if they cover you for emergency health care treatment anywhere in the world.

Archived