Alaska excursions ?

pearl12970

We are sailing in July on Rhapsody of Seas from Seattle ( roundtrip ).

We will cruise the Inside passage, Juneau, Skagway, Tracy Arm & Victoria .

This is our first cruise to Alaska and would appreciate recommendations on shore excursions that are an absolute MUST .

This is our first cruise to Alaska and would appreciate recommendations on shore excursions that are an absolute MUST .

I would suggest posting this over on the Alaska forum where you will find lots of recommendations for shore excursions.

Here is a link to it

ALASKA Forum

It would also be helpful if you give some indication as to your physical condition and what kinds of excursions you enjoy and if you have any price limitations because Alaska excursions can vary widely in price.

To paraphrase a guy named Mike who used to post on these boards, an excursion that is a MUST for me may be boring for you, and an excursion that is a MUST for you might kill me. :D

I'll tell you what we did in Juneau, was w/ northstar trekking and hiked for two or three hrs. on a glacier, you flew in a helicopter to the glacier which was just beautiful. Other people have said that the Whale watching tour is great w/ Harv and Marv (we will do this next time). Skagway we did the Train ride and enjoyed that. First, I thought this is going to be a looooooooog ride, but we went while there was still snow and it's just beautiful. But these are just my thoughts, the Alaska boards will give you tons of information.

Well, we've been to Victoria twice now and loved it! The first time we did a combo tour with RCCL. It was a tour of Craig Darroch Castle and high tea at the Fairmont Empress. The Castle is more of a house, but it was interesting. I didn't care too much for the tea at the Fairmont, but seeing inside the hotel was really neat. The next visit, we took a water taxi around to Fisherman's Wharf and had fish and chips from Barb's. Very good fish and chips. Has outdoor seating. Then we shopped on Government Street. Picked up some chocolates at Rogers Chocolates. Also we took a carriage ride. Very enjoyable day.

For Juneau, we did the RCCL tour that was a tour of a gold mine. We got to go inside the mine and the guide demonstrated the 100 year old drill and a rock thrower I think. Then after the tour, we had a nice lunch at the Twisted Fish in the Taku building. Then we took one of the shuttle buses over to Mendenhall Glacier. We walked the trail back to Nugget Falls and got some really nice pictures. But don't make the same mistake we did. We bought round trip tickets so when it was time to return, we had to wait for the shuttle bus that we had purchased from. I recommend buying a one way ticket. Then you can buy a one way ticket back on the first bus that comes to take you back. Some of the tours drop people off at Mendenhall. I think I've read that Harv & Marv's does. You might check into that if you were wanting to see whales, and then finish up at the glacier.

For Skagway, we booked the train/bus combo from Chilkoot Charters. I think it was the bus/rail combo. We took a bus to Frazier and then got on the train and rode back to Skagway. Then we had a nice lunch at Skagway Brewery.

But I agree with the others. Check into what's available that appeals to you.

Hope that helps you. Have a fantastic trip!!

In Juneau the float plane to Taku Glacier Lodge is one of THE BEST excursions in Alaska! You get a 30 min flight over several glacier enroute to Taku. You will land on the Taku River and have a few hours to explore the beauty of the area surrounding Taku Lodge., which sits directly across from the Taku Glacier. Soon after arrival you're served a fantastic fresh salmon lunch.. the ice in the drinks is actually from the glacier.

After lunch you'll have time to walk around or take the short hike through the rain forest to a waterfall. Before returning for your 20 min flight back to Juneau.

Best part of this excursion is you're almost guaranteed to see Black Bear. They can't seem to resist the smell of salmon on the grill. :eek:

This excursion is $305.00 pp if you book on Shore Trips dot com.

In Juneau we did a whale watch/Mendenhall Glacier tour - we enjoyed the whale watch part, but we didn't think we had a enough time at Mendenhall, another hour would have been good.

In Skagway we rented a car and drove into the Yukon, beautiful scenery, we saw bears by the side of the road.

In Victoria we had a lazy day, we walked around the park and the harbour and then went back to the ship. We live close enough to Victoria that we can visit anytime :)

We are doing this exact itinerary in a few weeks. In Juneau, we are taking Orca Enterprise Whale Watching tour and in Victoria, we are also doing a whale watching tour --- guess you can tell we like whales. :) For Inside Passage and Tracy Arm we can't do anything but relax and watch the beauty of Alaska from the ship since we are cruising. Have been to Skagway before --- not too sure what we will do this time around.

Have a wonderful cruise.

We are doing the northbound inside passage in August.

Planing to take the shuttle bus to Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau and hike one of the trails there.

In Skagway we will be met by Alaska Green Jeeps to pick up a rented Jeep. From there we will drive along the Yukon Highway to Emerald Lake and back.

Friend just did the same cruise and post cruise tour and returned last weekend.

They had a great time and their pictures make us look forward to August even more.

In Skagway we did the White Pass & Yukon Route railway trip. We did the one what was round trip on the train. If I had it to do over, I do another one that does the train one way and the bus the other, just for a change of scenery.

How long was the dog sledding, can you tell us more about that excursion and about how much pp?

Dog%20Sled%202-M.jpg

From RCI site

Dog Sledding & Glacier Flightseeing by Helicopter - SK10

Destination: Alaska

Port/City: Skagway, Alaska

Activity Type: Flightseeing | Wilderness & Wildlife Tours | Sightseeing and/or City Tours | Adventure Tours

Approximate Duration: 2 hour(s)

Prices starting from:

*510.00 USD (Adult)

*510.00 USD (Child)

It has gone up a bit. It was around $420 a person when the DW and I did this.

In Juneau we did the 2 hour glacier hike. Helicopter to the Mendenhall glacier and walking around on the glacier.

In Skagway we took the ships tour to the Yukon, bus up and White Pass train back. On the bus we saw a bear right next to the road.

For Tracy Arm I spent the time either on our aft balcony or up on the top deck. We got really close to the Sawyer Glacier.

In Victoria we did the Butchart Garden and Butterfly house tour. Afterwards they dropped us off in town, where we went to a very small aquarium, and then walked back to the ship.

Julie

:eek::eek::eek: If you are leaving next month and are just now starting your research, you'd better get cracking! Tours sell out and you may not get what you want. Other ships will be in port with you, sharply increasing demand.

How much time do you have in each port?

Archived