How Regent Compares with Oceania

You must be kidding!! We've done 14 Oceania cruises and 7 Regent cruises. I agree that there is very little comparison. We have no plans to cruise on Regent again. The ships are in desperate need of renovation with old furniture and stained carpet. The Gym on the Navigator is pathetic.

But most importantly the service level on Regent has fallen dramatically. The restaurants are understaffed and the specialty restaurants are pathetic. Oceania food is amazing! Fresh berries (blueberries, raspberries and black berries) every day for breakfast! Four free specialty restaurants - all with amazing service.

The things lacking on Oceania are quality guest lecturers, name entertainment and pool side buffets. I've heard from friends that on recent Regent cruises their level of entertainment and lecturers has dropped as well.

We've done over 50 cruises - and love Oceania!

Very interesting post. Wish I remembered which current thread is about the carpeting on Regent. According to our (Regent and Oceania's) CEO, the carpeting is 'NOT STAINED". However, the carpeting has been replaced on the Navigator and will be replaced on the Voyager in October and next year on the Mariner. For whatever reason, the carpeting "appears" stained within 2 months of being installed. Mr. Del Rio has tried to clean it himself. He has smelled it. He has brought the manufacturer on board and has only gotten "cockamamie" (sp) responses from them. It is just how the carpeting appears.

I agree with you on some levels. The specialty restaurants on Oceania are wonderful -- unsurpassed by anything on Regent. However (there is always a "however":-) The Terrace Café and MDR on Oceania cannot touch La Veranda and Compass Rose on Regent in terms of food quality (JMO). The décor on Oceania is stunning. However, Regent is meant to be casual luxury -- similar to many country clubs. IMO, one is not better than the other - just different.

Although we are "platinum" Seven Seas Society members on Regent and receive free laundry, etc., we definitely want to sail on the Riviera (or Marina) again. At the end of the day, we are Regent loyalists that are able to appreciate the amazing décor, artwork and specialty restaurants on Oceania.

Edited by Travelcat2

Just saw this board - so please forgive me for coming in late. Oceania serves Santa Margarita Pino Grigio - and always has. Sometimes at amazingly low prices.

They replied on the Oceania board that they often do NOT have Pinot Grigio. They do on the Riviera according to the OP but it is Danzante which is a pretty cheap Pinot. On Voyager they were pouring Santa Margherita. While I think it is overrated it is still considered top shelf whereas Danzante is not. Surprised!

Shorts are only permitted in the Terrace cafe in the evening - not in any other dining venue.

Since shorts are permitted on Oceania in the evening, it isn't really surprising that we saw people dressed in shorts (not in the specialty restaurants). I have to laugh about bathrobes on Regent. It is rather strange to see a Regent passenger in a bathrobe but I have seen a bathrobe used as a cover-up going to/from the pool and early in the morning going to the coffee machine (rather tacky but it happens occasionally). Not sure what Regent's dress code says about bathrobes:)

In any case, Oceania is more casual than Regent which sort of makes sense. IMO, the specialty restaurants on both cruise lines deserve better than polos and ultra casual slacks.

Wow -- I made the "shorts" post some time ago. There was a debate as to whether or not shorts were permitted in the Terrace Café in the evening. Glad to hear the answer - thank you.

I have had Santa Margarita Pino Grigio on the included list on Regent - but it is not always there. I suppose it depends upon what is available.

Still feel that both cruise lines are wonderful:)

I must also disagree on the comparison between La Veranda and Terrace Cafe. Terrace cafe has a grill on the two larger ships - and a grill is being added this spring to the 3 smaller ships. You can get almost anything you want - at lunch or dinner. They serve fresh grilled fish, lobster, giant shrimp, etc. They also serve rubins, lamb burgers, paninis and more. I saw a comment about the quality of deserts at lunch in the terrace cafe. They serve at least a dozen choices including ice cream and sherberts, plus both sugar free and indulgent cookies. Baked apple deserts and trifle - are amazing.

For breakfast they serve full size toasted bagels - not the mini-ones. They serve lox (my favorite) and 4 varieties of pickled herring. They serve amazing pancakes and French toast. You can open your own box of cereal at your table - and peel your own banana.

Very interesting post. Wish I remembered which current thread is about the carpeting on Regent. According to our (Regent and Oceania's) CEO, the carpeting is 'NOT STAINED". However, the carpeting has been replaced on the Navigator and will be replaced on the Voyager in October and next year on the Mariner. For whatever reason, the carpeting "appears" stained within 2 months of being installed. Mr. Del Rio has tried to clean it himself. He has smelled it. He has brought the manufacturer on board and has only gotten "cockamamie" (sp) responses from them. It is just how the carpeting appears.

I agree with you on some levels. The specialty restaurants on Oceania are wonderful -- unsurpassed by anything on Regent. However (there is always a "however":-) The Terrace Café and MDR on Oceania cannot touch La Veranda and Compass Rose on Regent in terms of food quality (JMO). The décor on Oceania is stunning. However, Regent is meant to be casual luxury -- similar to many country clubs. IMO, one is not better than the other - just different.

Although we are "platinum" Seven Seas Society members on Regent and receive free laundry, etc., we definitely want to sail on the Riviera (or Marina) again. At the end of the day, we are Regent loyalists that are able to appreciate the amazing décor, artwork and specialty restaurants on Oceania.

Food is subjective. What I like you may not like. I agree that the lox and pickled herring are good. We were not permitted to open our own cereal at breakfast. We were not permitted to put our own marshmallow in the chocolate fountain at lunch. Had to laugh that you feel that peeling your own banana and opening your own cereal is worthy of comment. But, with the control freak servers in Terrace Café, I guess that is a big deal. We much prefer serving ourselves.

We found the lobster overcooked and the other grilled items not to our taste. I love pasta but they only had tomato sauce (not to my liking) except for one day when they had Bolognese with fresh pasta. That day I would give Terrace Café top ratings.

We felt that there were much more choices of desserts and cheeses on Regent. In terms of ice cream..... on Regent there is Kahlua and other liquors to pour over your ice cream since it is all-inclusive. I love having a small portion of ice cream with a drizzle of Kahlua over it. Unfortunately, this is not available on Oceania.

As I said, everyone's tastes are different. If I could take the specialty restaurants on Oceania and put them on Regent, I would have the perfect cruise experience:D

Edited by Travelcat2

I enjoy reading Cruise Critic. I am amazed at how some people get very personal with their debate. Take it easy everyone.

I am going on my first cruise in November. I am more worried about the guy in the robe with no underwear (earlier debate on this thread) vs. the food or brand of wine. :)

I enjoy reading Cruise Critic. I am amazed at how some people get very personal with their debate. Take it easy everyone.

I am going on my first cruise in November. I am more worried about the guy in the robe with no underwear (earlier debate on this thread) vs. the food or brand of wine. :)

Is your first cruise on Regent or Oceania?

Is your first cruise on Regent or Oceania?

Regents. Very excited. Staying in a penthouse B. I read they are dry docking Voyager before our cruise. If upgrades are available for purchase, wonder if it is worth it. Remodeled Voyager Penthouse might be worth staying in reserved room! I know my question should be in dry dock thread. Sounds like you have a lot of experience though.

Regents. Very excited. Staying in a penthouse B. I read they are dry docking Voyager before our cruise. If upgrades are available for purchase, wonder if it is worth it. Remodeled Voyager Penthouse might be worth staying in reserved room! I know my question should be in dry dock thread. Sounds like you have a lot of experience though.

We generally book penthouse "B" because on the Voyager the penthouse "A" suites are under the pool and it can be noisy. Upsells to any suite with amn extra bathroom (1/2 bath) is great! On the other hand, we do love the penthouse suites.

The Voyager is our favorite ship -- she will look wonderful after dry dock. We will be sailing on the Voyager in December..... can't wait. I'm sure you will have a wonderful cruise. If there is a Roll Call for your cruise, do try to meet the other passengers -- it is always nice to meet people at the beginning of the cruise.

Assuming that this is your first Regent cruise. My favorite suggestion is to remember that you can order appetizer portions of main courses of main course portions of appetizers in the restaurants. Ordering smaller portions can enable you to try more things. When they have lobster, I order double portions.

I get excited just writing about it.:)

To each his own! Nice sparing with you. Hope to meet you on a future O voyage.

Food is subjective. What I like you may not like. I agree that the lox and pickled herring are good. We were not permitted to open our own cereal at breakfast. We were not permitted to put our own marshmallow in the chocolate fountain at lunch. Had to laugh that you feel that peeling your own banana and opening your own cereal is worthy of comment. But, with the control freak servers in Terrace Café, I guess that is a big deal. We much prefer serving ourselves.

We found the lobster overcooked and the other grilled items not to our taste. I love pasta but they only had tomato sauce (not to my liking) except for one day when they had Bolognese with fresh pasta. That day I would give Terrace Café top ratings.

We felt that there were much more choices of desserts and cheeses on Regent. In terms of ice cream..... on Regent there is Kahlua and other liquors to pour over your ice cream since it is all-inclusive. I love having a small portion of ice cream with a drizzle of Kahlua over it. Unfortunately, this is not available on Oceania.

As I said, everyone's tastes are different. If I could take the specialty restaurants on Oceania and put them on Regent, I would have the perfect cruise experience:D

I have been off playing golf for what seems like months and just caught up on the pages I have missed on this thread! Sorry about that...

Jackie - I do not see how you can make the comment quoted above since you yourself said that you did not have dinner in the MDR during your Riviera cruise! We did - and we found the menu choices and the food to be absolutely superb and better than the CR. We had a Châteaubriand with Béarnaise sauce which still has Ken talking about it amongst others... service was great too. We had lunch there several times as well and found the meals excellent. And breakfast was served far more promptly than in the CR. Quite an amazing place in fact, that MDR!! (Wish they had a branch restaurant here in Switzerland!!)

I have been off playing golf for what seems like months and just caught up on the pages I have missed on this thread! Sorry about that...

Jackie - I do not see how you can make the comment quoted above since you yourself said that you did not have dinner in the MDR during your Riviera cruise! We did - and we found the menu choices and the food to be absolutely superb and better than the CR. We had a Châteaubriand with Béarnaise sauce which still has Ken talking about it amongst others... service was great too. We had lunch there several times as well and found the meals excellent. And breakfast was served far more promptly than in the CR. Quite an amazing place in fact, that MDR!! (Wish they had a branch restaurant here in Switzerland!!)

You're right. We only had lunch in the MDR. A Jacques Pepin salad as I recall and it was really not good. The reviews I read of the MDR probably gave me a negative mindset before sailing on the Riviera. Then, when we had the one lunch there, I didn't want to go back. Although we didn't have breakfast there, I have no doubt that service is served more promptly than in CR. We avoid CR in the morning.

We had lunch in the Terrace Café every day. This was the one dining venue that just didn't work for us. Certainly there were some items that were excellent. It wasn't that the food wasn't prepared or spiced properly..... it seemed that the quality of the meat/chicken, etc. were just not as good as we are accustomed to.

As I mentioned, we are hoping to book another Oceania cruise next year:)

Can I please ask - when was your last Regent cruise - and what itinerary?

You're right. We only had lunch in the MDR. A Jacques Pepin salad as I recall and it was really not good. The reviews I read of the MDR probably gave me a negative mindset before sailing on the Riviera. Then, when we had the one lunch there, I didn't want to go back. Although we didn't have breakfast there, I have no doubt that service is served more promptly than in CR. We avoid CR in the morning.

We had lunch in the Terrace Café every day. This was the one dining venue that just didn't work for us. Certainly there were some items that were excellent. It wasn't that the food wasn't prepared or spiced properly..... it seemed that the quality of the meat/chicken, etc. were just not as good as we are accustomed to.

As I mentioned, we are hoping to book another Oceania cruise next year:)

Sorry, if the Terrace didn't work for you, why did you eat lunch there every day?

Sorry, if the Terrace didn't work for you, why did you eat lunch there every day?

There really aren't many alternatives - pretty much the same alternatives as Regent. We tried the MDR and didn't care for it. My DH ate at the place on the pool deck a couple of times -- took food inside. You can definitely find something good in the Terrace Café. I usually get a salad and small pasta plate on Regent. On Oceania being served a salad was too much work since it was served (I really have to do it my way). And, as mentioned, the pasta sauce they generally had was not to my taste.

The grill had some lovely looking fish, chicken, meat, etc. Again, not to my taste. I did have a slice of turkey a couple of times but prefer when a whole turkey is being carved rather than a turkey breast.

I don't want to put too much emphasis on breakfast and lunch in the Terrace Café because the food in the specialty restaurants is over the top wonderful. Regent has nothing to compare to Red Ginger or Jacques. I wish I could have eaten there every night. Toscana is interesting -- depending upon what you order. Polo is quite similar to Prime 7. I look forward to the Regent Explorer's Asian restaurant -- I imagine that it will be fabulous!

Also should mention again that Le Reserve is amazing. Really had an enjoyable meal there with fun and interesting people at our table.

Edited by Travelcat2

We have sailed on Regent and Oceania, and have found the food in the terrace cafe and waves on the Riviera to be much better than the pool grill or La veranda on the Voyager.

The selection of food is much larger on the Riviera than on the Voyager, and prepared far better on the Riviera.

Breakfast is so much better on the Riviera, just the choices alone.

We have sailed on Regent and Oceania, and have found the food in the terrace cafe and waves on the Riviera to be much better than the pool grill or La veranda on the Voyager.

The selection of food is much larger on the Riviera than on the Voyager, and prepared far better on the Riviera.

Breakfast is so much better on the Riviera, just the choices alone.

Agree with above.

One of my favorites at lunch at Terrace Café is lobster salad with HUGE chunks of lobster (from the tails at the grill the night before) - definitely NOT your usual left-over food :D

We like breakfast in the MDR, lunch at Waves/Terrace and dinner in a specialty or Terrace (almost never in MDR on O class ships).

As always, YMMV :)

I don't read these boards with the regularity I once did, but I'm certainly glad I looked tonight. We're off to Stockholm Tuesday to join the Oceania Marina for a 14 night Baltic cruise ending in London.

We've sailed with Oceania just once before, the spring 2011 Miami-Amazon-Manaus-Miami 24 day near-ordeal on the Regatta I think. We found the Amazon less than thrilling, so while the trip up the river was OK, coming back down was a total loss, during which I learned one of my sisters had a relapse with negative prognosis. All in all, a bad trip, and no dope either!

I've heard so many good things about the new Oceania ships I thought we should give them another try. Your comprehensive comparative review gave us a timely heads-up on what to expect and where to eat for sure. We were going to take the liquor package, but the need for an extended antibiotic treatment put the kibosh on that, and in retrospect, we don't really drink that much any more, so we'll save a few bucks to spend on laundry, another thing we won't get for free on Oceania.

I think you worry about some things some people say, too much. Just ignore the off-the-wall stuff. You know, some people do it just to see if they can get a rise out of others. Thanks for all the tips.

Edited by countflorida

Have a great cruise. We've done 13 Oceania cruises. You will love the Marina. The wine package is a rip-off. You can ask any wine Stewart for a list of their close-out wines and buy a package that way. My wife bought some excellent wines that way.

We also did the Manaus/Amazon cruise and I agree it is not a very good cruise.

I don't read these boards with the regularity I once did, but I'm certainly glad I looked tonight. We're off to Stockholm Tuesday to join the Oceania Marina for a 14 night Baltic cruise ending in London.

We've sailed with Oceania just once before, the spring 2011 Miami-Amazon-Manaus-Miami 24 day near-ordeal on the Regatta I think. We found the Amazon less than thrilling, so while the trip up the river was OK, coming back down was a total loss, during which I learned one of my sisters had a relapse with negative prognosis. All in all, a bad trip, and no dope either!

I've heard so many good things about the new Oceania ships I thought we should give them another try. Your comprehensive comparative review gave us a timely heads-up on what to expect and where to eat for sure. We were going to take the liquor package, but the need for an extended antibiotic treatment put the kibosh on that, and in retrospect, we don't really drink that much any more, so we'll save a few bucks to spend on laundry, another thing we won't get for free on Oceania.

I think you worry about some things some people say, too much. Just ignore the off-the-wall stuff. You know, some people do it just to see if they can get a rise out of others. Thanks for all the tips.

This page in particular shows how subjective food really is. Wish I had seen lobster salad in the Terrace Café - but didn't. There is definitely more food out on the Riviera -- after all, they are feeding a lot more people. It is always interesting to hear different views of the same dining venues. Still think Regent has it over Oceania in all but the specialty restaurants (where Oceania is amazing).

It is also interesting to read a less than stellar review on an Amazon cruise. Usually people rave about that itinerary (an itinerary that I politely refuse to take ....... ever).

We definitely did not feel that either the premium alcohol package or wine package were a "rip-off". What would have seemed a bit outrageous to us was ordering a martini for $10 plus 18% tip and learning that it was half the size of what we were used to (this is apparently not the case in Martini's Lounge).

The experience on the Riviera is incredible. Regent has been our home on the ocean for almost 10 years. IMO, there is no incorrect decision when looking at sailing on Regent or Oceania. The experience on each ship is quite unique but both are awesome!

• 1 month later...

I've just accidentally discovered this thread, and was interested because we've sailed a number of times on both, and have discussed between us the merits of both. We enthusiastically sailed on O as soon as they started and loved it, but parted company w/them later because of several reasons: a very bad excursion experience even resulting in injury to some of us, with next to no remedial action by the line; a change in how they did business in that they established almost a 'caste system' to get passengers to pay more (it was much more egalitarian); we got tired of "being nickeled and dimed" and wanted to try the inclusive approach of Regent. But when Marina and Riviera appeared, we decided to give O another shot because the ships sounded nice and because the itinerary we were on (Baltic) worked better for doing your own thing on excursions, we had tips included, and the excursions offered by Regent did not seem compelling at all. So we did not feel it warranted paying lots extra for things we did not need/want on this trip. We enjoyed the experience, the ship, and met wonderful people. But we found the food, surprisingly, too often unimpressive, including in Jacques. Red Ginger, however, was AWESOME. After reading through posts here, I'd like to (somewhat tentatively) offer the following, which is only relative to OUR experience.

1. Thanks for the detailed info previously shared here.

2. Based on variations in our experience, we've decided the passengers on a particular cruise and the current staff can contribute a lot plus and minus to the quality of the cruise. Similarly, the food quality can be affected. A Regent cruise in Alaska had menu choices like a mainstream hotel dining room, and was too often mediocre. That one had more kids. Every other Regent food experience was stellar. Running into one or more 'bad apples', for example, can possibly color one's whole feeling about the line.

3. For us, there has been a feeling of being taken care of from start of booking to even after the cruise w/Regent, that promotes trust and relieves stress even way before the cruise. If there is a problem, they truly seem to care and go out of their way to make it right. We don't feel anywhere near that w/O. The difference was noticeable early on in trying to arrange details of the cruise, including air.

4. I can't honestly speak re O, but we've been amazed at the number of loyal Regent folks. We have moved up in level as we've cruised more with them, but we are pikers compared to many of the people we've met. Seems most of their passengers are repeats, often with many, many cruises. It has also seemed the passenger average age is older on Regent.

5. With regard to avoiding bacteria in the food line: After getting violently ill on a Regent cruise in April, I think I'll use a previously mentioned tip - thanks! - from this thread and let them serve me or use a barrier of some kind between me and the serving utensil when we board next week. It's no fun being quarantined.

6. All the cabins w/Regent are roomy, especially the bathrooms. We found O's regular stateroom cramped by comparison, no walk-in closet, and tiny shower. Penthouse was much more roomy, and much more size difference between the two cabin levels on O than on Regent.

So those that say each line serves a purpose and fills a niche, especially if you would prefer to avoid assigned dinner seating and formal nights, are probably on target. Sincerely hope I've offended no one!!

I found your observations both interesting and fair. Agree with you about Alaska cruises -- I do not feel they are representative of typical Regent cruises.

As has been said, food is so subjective. A few people have commented about Jacques. Our first time there we both ordered Lobster Thermidor (misspelled:-). It was so good that we had to have it again. So, we have not sampled much of what was offered.

In terms of being nickeled and dimed, we tried to make our Oceania experience as all-inclusive as possible by pre-paying for drinks and the internet. It does bring the cost of the cruise up considerably.

On some Regent cruises we have taken, 80% of the passengers are return guests (generally on cruises of 2 weeks of longer). It is amazing our loyal we are -- even though we try other lines when the itinerary is of interest.

Enjoy your cruise next week......where are you going?

We have three Regent cruises booked and want to book another cruise on the Riviera. Our schedule may not allow that to happen until 2015:o