Why so expensive?? Just a sign of the times or ....

MaiTaiMary

Our last Carnival cruise was three years ago. 8 nights, Mexican Riviera. We had an aft balcony cabin. Price per person was around $750.

We're pricing cruises for next Fall and I can't believe how expensive they are!!! :eek:

7 nights, Mexican Riviera, Ocean view cabin start at $1,149!

I haven't been keeping up with cruises very much the past few years. Has there really been that dramatic of a price increase?

We want to go in October from the west coast and there is hardly anything to choose from. :( SO sad Carnival doesn't have cruises out of San Diego anymore!

Anyway...

the cruise we are looking at goes to two ports: Puerto Vallarta and Cabo San Lucas. 7 nights on the Miracle. It's not a holiday week and I don't believe this is a newer ship. (?)

So does starting at $1,149 for an ocean view sound about right? Just trying to figure out why it's so expensive now. :(

eta: with taxes the OV cabins on this cruise are starting at $2,416.90. Ouch.

Our last Carnival cruise was three years ago. 8 nights, Mexican Riviera. We had an aft balcony cabin. Price per person was around $750.

We're pricing cruises for next Fall and I can't believe how expensive they are!!! :eek:

I haven't been keeping up with cruises very much the past few years. Has there really been that dramatic of a price increase?

We want to go in October from the west coast and there is hardly anything to choose from. :( SO sad Carnival doesn't have cruises out of San Diego anymore!

Anyway...

the cruise we are looking at goes to two ports: Puerto Vallarta and Cabo San Lucas. 7 nights on the Miracle. It's not a holiday week and I don't believe this is a newer ship. (?)

So does starting at $1,149 for an ocean view sound about right? Just trying to figure out why it's so expensive now. :(

I booked a 6 night for me and my fiancé in November out of ft Lauderdale got a premium balcony for 1,100 for both of us. Seems like a great price to me I don't think they have gone up at all really

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

Fall 2014? If so it would make since to have really high prices. You might fall trap and get a past guest or super saver rate and be stuck with a high price. Best case scenario for carnival is they have a high price and its sold out. Make a bigger profit.

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

Seems like a great price to me I don't think they have gone up at all really

Oh, they've gone up tremendously! I'm just trying to figure out if there is a reason this cruise is so much more than the one I did three years ago, or if the prices have just steadily gone up in the past three years and this is just what they cost now.

We paid $750 per person for 8 nights on the aft balcony cabin, 3 ports.

This cruise STARTS at $1149 per person for an ocean view, 7 night, 2 port cruise. I think that's a huge difference.

Lack of supply has increased the demand. Also California is requiring extra environmental measures than the other ports.

Our West Coast cruises have risen faster than the Carribbean ones. But tt is still almost always cheaper (for us) to cruise out of SoCal than to fly to a cruise on the East Coast.

There are several threads on the West Coast Departure board about the condition of West Coast cruising.

It's possible that the Oct cruise is close to selling out. Is it right after a Hawaiian Cruise? Some will B2B the Hawaiian and MR itins.

Check the next week.

I haven't been keeping up with cruises very much the past few years.

Has there really been that dramatic a price increase?

No, but the Dollar has devalued itself that much.

Cruise prices haven't gone up

- the value of the money has gone down

thereby putting up the numeric value (in dollars) of the products you want to buy!

It's 'right' if the ship is selling cabins...

Prices are only low when sales are low. This itinerary is obviously popular enough for them to have the price that high (and that is high for a CCL cruise).

I think because there is SO little in way of options for this itinerary, that is likely the reason for the high rate.

Supply/Demand

I'm not sure where you're looking. I just checked for Oct. 2014 and found most OVs at $669 and balconies at $769.

Well now I'm more confused than ever! LOL :confused: So almost $500 per person less for one year later? I wish I understood how they price these!! ARGH!

Well now I'm more confused than ever! LOL :confused: So almost $500 per person less for one year later? I wish I understood how they price these!! ARGH!

If it's a popular itinerary, it is always very very beneficial to book EARLY!!!!!

The rate for that cruise in 2014, will likely go up.

I think because there is SO little in way of options for this itinerary, that is likely the reason for the high rate.

That certainly makes sense. I knew Carnival wasn't sailing out of San Diego anymore, but was shocked that there were so few to choose from out of Los Angeles. :(

I was looking at various lines out of Florida for fall next year, and wasn't too thrilled with the prices myself.

My target price is a decent quality ship for $100/pp/day TOTAL price, including gratuities, for ocean view or above. I didn't find too many, although there were some and carnival led the pack on affordability.

I believe that the cruise lines are betting, for now at least, on a stronger economy in 2014 that will enable them to charge higher rates.

Anyway...

That price is ridiculous!!! I see on the Carnival page it shows 1149. for the Oct 6, 2013 sailing...Is that what you are looking at?

We have started booking the Caribbean, since the options are so limited for us on the West Coast. You could get a cruise & air for that price! We are so disappointed with the lack of ships...We like to cruise 4 times a year.

We've been trying to plan our annual Valentine's cruise & can't commit to the Miracle...prices & lack of ports are a big factor.

We loved the Spirit & the itineraries it offered out of San Diego for the 8 & 9 day itineraries...Maybe someday we will get another ship, other than a 3 & 4 day that the Imagination will bring.

Shelly

That certainly makes sense. I knew Carnival wasn't sailing out of San Diego anymore, but was shocked that there were so few to choose from out of Los Angeles. :(

can you book with another cruise line? I haven't looked at all the options...I actually was looking to see if NCL had any ships on the west coast in October and they don't (not for a 7 day sailing, anyway :( )

That would have been convenient for us as my DH is on the west coast for work 2 weeks out of every month.

I say, book it for next year and find something else that suits your budget for this year.

Anyway...

The Miracle is doing route now. That is why. When the Splendor was there she sailed so cheap because of all the problems on thge ship.

I too say, book it for next year with an early saver, and plan something else for this year. I am glad to think that Carnival thinks the economy is going to get better, I would love to only have to work two jobs instead of 3.:rolleyes: And still not be able to pay all the bills on time:confused:

The early saver & easy saver on the Oct 6th sailing are 1019.00 when you click into booking. It is still way too high!

The Splendor wasn't always cheap, either! We sailed several times on her.

Wish we got fares that are the same as east coast...we'd be cruising once a month!!

I miss the 8 day Spirit cruises, too. We're sailing the Miracle on February 22nd '14 with an overnight stay in Puerto Vallarta and a day in Cabo. We are in a 4k with the french doors that open between lifeboats. We booked past guest rate for $580 each plus taxes. If you can be flexible with your sail date you can find better pricing.

I was lucky to have cruised the Mexican Riviera many years ago with stops in Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta which we did while living still in San Diego area. Have been sad that the west coast cruising has basically turned into Ensenda and Cabo, was happy to see that they are adding Puerto Vallarta again so I went at looked at pricing like everyone else in the thread except I looked at November also. Find it very interesting that the Nov. 17 sailing currently has insides listed 100$ more than OVs! Really?

Splendor might've been cheaper as it was a bigger ship and had more rooms, so there was less demand for a limited amount of rooms. Also prices tend to go up the closer yopu get to the cruise. I have a friend who is doing the Oct 6 cruise and has a balcony and the only paid $725/pp, but they booked in January.

when I looked at AFt Balconies..the price did seem high. I think more people know about them, know how much those who book them enjoy them..so they go fast...and like everything in high demand....got for a premium price.

that said........Fall Cruises will start going down. Usually it is the season when Prices are the lowest in the Carbbean. One big storm..and prices drop the Next Day.And I live in Florida I don't wish a big storm on my worst enemy. But they come...

The ships sail out of danger. Airlines...are the issues. Can't get flights or terminals close.

Wait if you can until the middle of July to book. Also have all of the balconies like that..and I know there are not many..booked?

Would you change for one with just an extended balcony?

I pulled out my cabin confirmation for the Glory about five years ago....and it was right at $1250 for an ocean view. for a week. That is not too out of line with prices today.

once we booked a cruise on the Dream for $429. Two Octobers ago. One Week before sailing. An inside cabin. Midship though. One of our favorite cruises. We won the super duper Trivia contest with the Best Trivia TEam Ever....Then we paid through the nose for one on Princess....and I came down with Norvo. On lockdown for three days. and I love Princess. And in 20+ cruises ..that was my only time with Norvo. Hopefully the last.

So...who knows.

A different..less expensive cabin?

could you upgrade to a suite?

Would the East Coast be cheaper for you..even with airline tickets? Look at some of the prices on The Dream for balconies. Low.Low. for the fall. And they have a new miltiary rate..plus a sail from Florida sale.

Anyway...

I just did a mock booking for the Oct. 6, 2013 Mexican Riveria cruise and Carnival is only showing 1 room left! This is why the price is so high. I even checked a 2nd travel agency website and they are also only showing 1 OV cabin left!

Archived