Question about not going to MDR on first night

Bibble

I have read here that if you're not going to go to the MDR, it's polite to let the waiter know, so that the rest of the table doesn't have to wait for you, etc.

If my group of 5 is at our own table, and we're going to skip the first night (we want to be top deck as we go under the Skyway bridge (I think that's what it's called), should we still tell the waiter that we won't be there, or would he not really care, as the whole table will be empty, and then there is nobody having to wait?

You should let the maitre d' for your dining room know

We advised the Maitre'D that we would be dining in the Steakhouse first night and not at our table. His answer, "And what do you expect me to do with that information?" Don't bother with it as so many people float in and out of the dining room and eat elsewhere that they can't or don't want to keep track of it

We advised the Maitre'D that we would be dining in the Steakhouse first night and not at our table. His answer, "And what do you expect me to do with that information?" Don't bother with it as so many people float in and out of the dining room and eat elsewhere that they can't or don't want to keep track of it

Agree with this. I think if it was later in the week you should tell your waiter the night before if you won't be there the next night. There are many who don't show up the lst night. We never did until I figured out that that is the ONLY night they have creme brulee for dessert so I suffer thru the dinner to have that! :p:rolleyes:

That was just rudeness on his part!:rolleyes:

I guess it depends on the maitre d' -- not all are gems!

When we were in the same situation and informed him, our MD said "Thank you very much for letting us know -- I appreciate it!"

I have read here that if you're not going to go to the MDR, it's polite to let the waiter know, so that the rest of the table doesn't have to wait for you, etc.

If my group of 5 is at our own table, and we're going to skip the first night (we want to be top deck as we go under the Skyway bridge (I think that's what it's called), should we still tell the waiter that we won't be there, or would he not really care, as the whole table will be empty, and then there is nobody having to wait?

Since you are asking about the first night only, no, it is not necessary to inform the maitre'd or waitstaff that you won't be there. First night is usually open seating and relaxed dress code anyway.

For any other night of the cruise, it is polite to notify the waitstaff you will not be there the following night.

wow that's real rude.

Since you are asking about the first night only, no, it is not necessary to inform the maitre'd or waitstaff that you won't be there. First night is usually open seating and relaxed dress code anyway.

For any other night of the cruise, it is polite to notify the waitstaff you will not be there the following night.

Never had open seating for the first night on any cruise. Maybe certain itins?

I agree with those who said the maitre d Debj spoke to was rude. Sheesh!

I've also never experienced open seating on the first evening of a cruise.

OP, I wouldn't let them know for the first night, but any other night I would. We even do that with out YTD staff since we typically eat in the same section each evening.

Iagree. dont worry about it

First night seating is not open seating on most cruises- (I think the one out of San Juan is different though but that was BEFORE anytime dining)

open seating? The only time I heard of open seating was on cruises that departed from San Juan at 10pm.:confused:

relaxed dress code? How do you relax a dress code where you can wear shorts?

:confused:

Bill

Archived