Cancellation of cruise due to illness

plymouthian

I was due to go on a cruise with my husband on the 17th August 2013, it was the Eclipse to Scandinavia and Russia. Yesterday my husband had a stroke and is now in intensive care and I will obviously have to cancel. I know the main thing is that he gets well, but can anyone tell me if I am within the time for a refund Thank you for your help.

Sorry to hear of your husband's illness. Well wishes for his full recovery.

I would call the cruiseline and inquire regarding their policy. Did you have travel insurance? If so, that would cover this type of occurance.

call celebrity or your TA immediately and cancel the cruise. if it is before final payment is due, you may or may not get your deposit back depending on the rules where you booked the cruise. In the US, everything is refundable if you cancel prior to final payment being due....but that varies if you booked in another country.

if you purchased travel insurance, which you hopefully did, it should cover this situation if you obtain their claim form and have the doctor fill it out and sign it. If it was in any way related to a pre-existing condition, the insurance company may try to deny the claim unless it had a pre-existing condition waiver and/or you purchased it within the time frame specified by the insurance company for waiving pre-existing conditions (usually 10 days from day of deposit0.

Otherwise, as other posters have said, you will only be out your deposit. You should notify the cruiseline/travel agent as quickly as possible to protect your rights and then the insurance company as soon as possible.

I'm sorry about your husband. Hopefully, he will make a full recovery.

Thank you all for your prompt replies and I will call my TA who is in England in the morning. Yes we do have travel insurance so hopefully will get some back. As long as my husband recovers that's all that really matters. Thank you once again.

Ann

It looks like you closely missed the 75 day cutoff for a full refund, but you are still within the timeframe to get all but your deposit back.

As others have suggested, contact the cruise line (or your travel agent) immediately.

There have been other situations reported in the past where Celebrity was very accommodating under similar circumstances, either issuing a full refund or providing credit towards a future cruise.

Even if you did not purchase any additional travel insurance, if you booked the cruise on a major credit card be sure to check what terms your credit card company provides as you may well be covered there.

We all wish your husband a full and speedy recovery.

In regard to cruise, call and cancel if you already haven't and explain reasoning for cancelling

If you do have travel insure, put a claim in EVEN IF Celebrity gives you a refund

Many people forget, insurance is an added protection that covers you independently from any cruise line refund policy, so it's smart to file a claim

Two cases I personally know of

1. A flight we were on was cancelled in Australia to New Zealand making it necessary for us to get new tickets to New Zealand. Although the airline reimbursed us for the second ticket when we got home , under the terms of out travel insurance, we were entitled to the ticket price from the insurance company as well.

2. A friend had to cancel a cruise because of a last minute personal illness, although cruise line would only refund the 25% (amount that they were contracually liable for), they ended up putting in a clain with their travel insurance, and ended up getting back all but $100 from their insurance

Wishing your husband a speedy recovery. I had a blood stroke a few years ago two weeks after we made final payment. We had travel insurance and received refunds for both the cruise and airfare.

Please keep us posted on his progress and take care of yourself too. We tend to forget the toll it takes on the spouse. Good luck to both of you.

Very sorry to hear about your husband's illness. My husband and I were scheduled to sail on the Summit this past April 27th and I had to cancel the day before! We had travel insurance and we just received a full refund! Good Luck! Hope your husband is better soon!

In regard to cruise, call and cancel if you already haven't and explain reasoning for cancelling

If you do have travel insure, put a claim in EVEN IF Celebrity gives you a refund

Many people forget, insurance is an added protection that covers you independently from any cruise line refund policy, so it's smart to file a claim

Not all insurance companies will give you a refund even if the cruise line refunds your money. I had to cancel a trip in January 2013 due to a brain tumour. When I filled out the forms from the insurance company, it was very explicit about "double dipping" so to speak. Had to sign that I had not received any other monies from the cruise line or air line. Also stipulated that if you said you had not received other reimbursement and the insurance company found out you had received monies, they would take steps to recover the money. This was a well know insurance company in both Canada and USA.

Hello everyone, many thanks for all your kind regards at this very difficult time. I took your advice and contacted my TA, explained that my husband was in intensive care due to a stroke. They told me to put it in writing (e mail) immediately as the cut off date was imminent. I did this and have received confirmation that I will receive a refund less my £300 deposit. I am more than happy with this and I thank Celebrity for their understanding. Hopefully we will one day make this trip. Thank you again Celebrity.

Hello everyone, many thanks for all your kind regards at this very difficult time. I took your advice and contacted my TA, explained that my husband was in intensive care due to a stroke. They told me to put it in writing (e mail) immediately as the cut off date was imminent. I did this and have received confirmation that I will receive a refund less my £300 deposit. I am more than happy with this and I thank Celebrity for their understanding. Hopefully we will one day make this trip. Thank you again Celebrity.

Glad everything worked out. Wishing your husband a speedy recovery.

Looks like my post crossed the others but here is my reply anyhow ..glad it worked out

Hope all goes well...that's the main thing

when we cancelled a big trip due to our dtr's illness (she's doing well now) after making final payment..we got the percentage refund from the cruise line & were able to cancel all booked excursions.

Pvt non-cruise line Travel ins covered the rest,, same for airlines..we had non-refundable tix so only got a meager return of taxes minus enormous airport fees..but ins did the rest..

you will need to document the illness and inability of husband to travel ...

Good luck and prayers for a full recovery!!

Archived