Balcony cabin doors - Bang, bang, bang

I booked my first balcony cabin for my 17 day cruise to Hawaii this past April. I couldn't believe the number of people who let the door to their balcony slam day and night. One day I was so frustrated that I let my door slam -- couldn't do it again out of consideration for the others on either side of me. Polite Canadian:rolleyes: Is this a common habit?

I've noticed this too, and it does sound loud. If a person lets it happen once, even twice, I give them the benefit of the doubt that they just don't know better. After all, we all make mistakes and the door might accidentally slam. But more than twice and I start to think they're just inconsiderate neighbors who don't care about anyone else's peace and quiet. :(

(edited to add that it bugs me in hotels too) !

When someone is coming in the front door, and the balcony door is opening or closing, its VERY dangerous. Super wind tunnel. Almost cut off my hand when DH was coming back, at a total of like 3 times over 7 days on average, for 4 or 5 cruises. Scary! That is why my door was slamming if anyone wants to know. lol. Ugh.

Don't even get me started on this topic. I think this is one of my biggest gripes on a cruise ship, and even in hotels.

We recently took our first Royal Caribbean cruise on the Freedom of the Seas. We had a cabin with a veranda. The veranda doors were sliders, so you never heard them slam.

The cabin doors were also not as free swinging as they were on any other ship that I have been on, even if you just let the door go from your hand, it would close quietly. HOWEVER, I still heard doors slamming, to the point it would shake the cabin walls. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

This is not good news. We have our first balcony on HAL book for this December. I am a light sleeper and love the thought of a quiet balcony. I guess I will see.

I also get up early (4:00 AM) for work, so if it is a really bad issue and it is coming from right next door....I MAY have to demonstrate the annoyance back to our neighbours as I watch the sun rise.... That would be a last resort. I would ask for them to try not to slam the door first.

On the Golden Princess the doors were sliding so no slamming there.

I have heard a few doors slam on ships but nothing serious as others have described. As for the light sleeper concerned about slamming balcony doors in the morning, I can't say I have ever been woken up by that (light sleeper too). Then again, our charter shave many late sleepers and I am usually awkae earlier than most. :)

Yes, we hear some verandah doors slam and some hotel doors as well.

It's the sound of people living, moving, being busy........

I am able to tune it out. I notice sometimes but more often it's backround noise that barely registers with me.

Maybe I'm the 'deaf' referred to so kindly above. :D :D

When someone is coming in the front door, and the balcony door is opening or closing, its VERY dangerous. Super wind tunnel. Almost cut off my hand when DH was coming back, at a total of like 3 times over 7 days on average, for 4 or 5 cruises. Scary! That is why my door was slamming if anyone wants to know. lol. Ugh.

Almost cutting off your hand is probably exaggerating a lot. Did the door break any bones or was stitches needed?

My dear MIL and I experienced this daily on the Nieuw Amsterdam in April, to the point that the walls did shake when the doors slammed shut. :( I wondered if, perhaps, these folks were raised by wolves?

On my recent Prinsendam cruise, this was not an issue because the balcony doors are sliders. Peace. ;)

Sure seems like there are a lot of self appointed exaggeration police around here lately. Aren't we so lucky!

I've noticed a lot of people (yes a lot) love to slam their doors. It's annoying. One dude next to me had his Kindle in speak mode but I'm probably exaggerating about that too. Too bad mine didn't have speak mode or I'd put it on the Shades of Grey book. Pretty sure that would cure people:D.

I think a lot of the slamming doors may be attributed to just what you sited.

When both doors are open, the hall way door will slam like it's going to fall off!

Sorry about your hand.

Sure seems like there are a lot of self appointed exaggeration police around here lately. Aren't we so lucky!

I've noticed a lot of people (yes a lot) love to slam their doors. It's annoying. One dude next to me had his Kindle in speak mode but I'm probably exaggerating about that too. Too bad mine didn't have speak mode or I'd put it on the Shades of Grey book. Pretty sure that would cure people:D.

Shades of Grey would make them H---- and then you would have another kind of noise to put up with - perhaps not a good idea.:)

Lorekauf,

I didn't mean to imply what should or should not bother you or anyone or gauge how loud the slamming you have experienced is. Of course, that is personal to each of us. I only meant of the things that bother me on ships and in hotels, luckily for me that is one thing I seem able to ignore most of the time. There are times it is excessive slamming and I do not and don't like that but I'm sure there are things that irk me that others don't notice. :o We all pick our personal 'annoyances'. :D

By no means am I telling anyone what should or should not bother them.

Lorekauf,

I didn't mean to imply what should or should not bother you or anyone or gauge how loud the slamming you have experienced is. Of course, that is personal to each of us. I only meant of the things that bother me on ships and in hotels, luckily for me that is one thing I seem able to ignore most of the time. There are times it is excessive slamming and I do not and don't like that but I'm sure there are things that irk me that others don't notice. :o We all pick our personal 'annoyances'. :D

By no means am I telling anyone what should or should not bother them.

It's not you that I was referring to. I don't appreciate when I have experienced something to be told I'm making everything up. I would never dream of dimishishing someone elses experience just because I haven't had it. You've had your experience and in no way did I feel that you were diminishing mine.

Shades of Grey would make them H---- and then you would have another kind of noise to put up with - perhaps not a good idea.:)

Then you would hear a different kind of "banging" *LOL*

Alright you two...behave :D:p:D (kidding in case that's not clear).

I was going to say something similar to a few comments above. On an April Cruise on the Statendam I too noticed the verandah door noise, but after my cabin made made the same noise, I realized it was not slamming the door (which I think of as intentional or at least an overly aggressive shoving of the door, but rather letting go of the door too soon, rather than holding on until it closes. She would come into the cabin and let the door close behind her, sounding like a slam.

Now, maybe I am only picking at words, but to me the way to correct the situations are totally different. I tried, but did not always remember, to guide the door until it was closed - no real noise. In fact, our door you could not slam the door as you might when mad, is it closed at its own pace

I find the balcony doors so heavy I can barely open them. So if my cabin is next to you and my door slams :eek: ... it only means I lost my grip ... not that I'm being rude.

In fairness the cabin doors and balcony doors can be a little heavy and do tend to get away from you. I can see an older or frail person (not making an such assumption about you :))

Even on land some of the large glass doors in some bldgs are very heavy. I am a pretty solid guy with no physical limitations and I really need to pull/push hard . I don't know how an elderly or handicapped person who may have a walker or cane could manage.

Archived