Cake Question

I am sailing on the Carnival Sensation in a couple of months with the wife on a 10th wedding anniversary cruise. The day we depart is our anniversary. I see in their gift shop (on line), you can purchase a cake. Does anyone know if it can be set up to be delivered at dinner (as a surprise) in the MDR?

Also I noticed in the online shop, they will add on port taxes for a cake. Does anyone know a reasonable estimate on how much this is ($14 cake)?

Forgive the questions, first time cruiser on a very tight budget that took a long time to save, but still want this cruise to be special for us.

1845701328_cakecarniv.jpg.712db091e1a7b70da5e481a4db2b035c.jpg

they do add on tax, but nothing outrageous, basically the sales tax you would pay at a local grocery store. I always order a cake for our cruise. well worth the money. they also have a smaller cake (6inch) for $10. their cakes are REALLY good! I believe you can get it delivered in the mdr the first night. you can always call the bon voyage dept. at carnival and double check. congrats on 10 years!

Some ports/states require the ship charge taxes if certain articles are sold while the ship is still within their waters.

If you purchase a bottle of liquor delivered to your cabin (on HAL), request it be delivered at sea or you will be charged sales tax if you have it delivered while the ship is in Port Everglades or before sailing.

Wait a few hours and purchase it after sailing and there should be no tax.

OP, congratulations on your 10th Anniversary. How special you were able to save enough for a wonderful celebration. Hope it is all you have dreamed your cruise to be. :)

I was on the Sensation last fall.

Ordered their chocolate cake and had "Happy Birthday" put on it.

They delivered it the first night at the MDR.

It was good. My friend loves chocolate and she raved about it.

We had some left and they put it in a box for us.

We took it back to the room and the room steward brought us some plates and forks later that day.

He volunteered to do that, we didn't ask him.

I had ordered it in advance from the web site.

But, I noticed the first day that they had them in a bakery case and you could go there and order it once you were on the ship. Some people were getting them and taking them back to their rooms for a birthday party.

I would order it via the Bon Voyage Department, or on the ship and have it delivered to you in the MDR, or to your cabin, if they will still do that. If delivered to your cabin you wont have to share with table mates!:eek: Botht the chocolate and the vanilla cakes are wonderful and sweet! Congratulations!

I hope you get your cake!

The one year we had ordered a cake from the shop for our anniversary. (pre-ordered online) Well the cake never showed up. We inquired about it, and they said they could have it for us tomorrow. My response was "tomorrow is not our anniversary". The sad part was that it was already paid for! I certainly wasn't a happy camper.

We have done many celebrations on cruise lines (birthdays and anniversaries).

I too would recommend you celebrate the second night out vs the first even though it is your anniversary the first night. You might have some champagne and some snacks in your cabin the first night which you can order. Then go for the cake on the second night which is generally a formal night on most cruises. If you are at sea the second night you may not have any tax added to the costs of the cake. Check with the cruise line on this tax issue.

First nights are always very rushed, staff in the diningroom are not at their best. Sometimes there are unexpected delays leaving port, you have a life boat drill, need to get your luggage and unpack and so on.

I am sailing on the Carnival Sensation in a couple of months with the wife on a 10th wedding anniversary cruise. The day we depart is our anniversary. I see in their gift shop (on line), you can purchase a cake. Does anyone know if it can be set up to be delivered at dinner (as a surprise) in the MDR?

Also I noticed in the online shop, they will add on port taxes for a cake. Does anyone know a reasonable estimate on how much this is ($14 cake)?

Forgive the questions, first time cruiser on a very tight budget that took a long time to save, but still want this cruise to be special for us.

Congratulations on celebrating 10 years.

Hope you get your cake.

You are a man after my heart. This is so thoughtful of you and on a milestone anniversary as well. Your wife will not only be surprised but thrilled. I just know it. Congratulations!

We sailed on my Birthday on the Inspiration and my husband ordered me a cake to be delivered after our first dinner on the first night. After we were settled in he checked on the status of our online pre ordered cake and was told it would be delivered as he requested.

Once we gave them our room number for our dinner sitting, my husband once again checked. The only bad thing was we were still offered dessert and then the cake came. So I was too full to really enjoy it at that moment. It was still a nice surprise! But we took it back to our room and snacked on it for a couple days...a shower cap works great as a food cover!!

ORDER IT!!!! Its a fun surprise too!

Archived