Planned New Builds - NCL and RCI gearing up!!

Tom-n-Cheryl

I want them to do whatever makes business sense - for Carnival - not wannabe competition. To them. Not armchair admirals. Why should any ships leave? Lots of ports want a ship. Ask Mobile. Ask San Diego. More and more people are driving to ports - especially families.

Carnival knows its target market. The others are searching for niches. There is no reason for Carnival to follow the losers. If someone else accidentally strikes gold, Carnival has the resources to catch up very quickly.

Let others experiment. The *leading edge* is more often than not the *bleeding edge".

Sarge, I think Travelista was indicating that Carnival's " Fantasy class" had a bit of age on them, sorta like you and I :eek:

Solo cabins only appeal to solos, obviously. I'm not sure Carnival would/should ever build ships with them. That they did away with single pricing for 1As would seem to indicate they get sold anyway. Particularly the ones with portholes. Don't the 1As on Spirit class have two twin beds that can be converted? :confused:

I think a cabin that could be sold to one or two people would be preferred to one that could only be sold to solo passengers. If necessary (apparently not), Carnival could easily adjust solo pricing for double cabins, but not easily sell solo cabins to two people. :cool:

OK so you admit Carnival doesnt care if they get my business, and prices solos so that its cheaper often to cruise on other lines?

Whereas NCL and RCL are both building small cabins for solos which are a huge hit and both want to attract my business.

Sarge, I think Travelista was indicating that Carnival's " Fantasy class" had a bit of age on them, sorta like you and I :eek:

So? I think that is a good thing. They don't build things today like they did yesterday. The older ships have real teak, for example.

Smaller ships can access ports the ginormous ones can't.

Choice is good!

OK so you admit Carnival doesnt care if they get my business, and prices solos so that its cheaper often to cruise on other lines?

Whereas NCL and RCL are both building small cabins for solos which are a huge hit and both want to attract my business.

Carnival used to have discounted pricing for 1A cabins. They always have the option to bring it back on a given sailing. Why build cabins just for that?

On new builds for other cruise lines, do any of the solo cabins have a porthole or window?

?

On new builds for other cruise lines, do any of the solo cabins have a porthole or window?

Actually they have solo balconys on quantum (and several more sister ships to be built with the same design). Cabins are only 119 s.f. but they have a nice deep balcony 55 s.f.. They also have solo insides.

But then we know that the actual balconys are larger on RCL than Carnival in general, even if the cabins are a bit larger. Its a small cabin meant for solos.

I have read some solos on Epic who say the solo cabins are the only way to go who just loved the living room area where solos had a place to mingle. Its been a huge hit.

I think a lot of solos are feelings snubbed by Carnival, and that other new ships are catering to them.

Princess gives double loyalty credits to solos, so even they give solos something extra.

Carnival seems bent on driving us away. I actually would like to try out the solo cabins on epic. I have a balcony booked, but if someone wants it, I will volunteer to downgrade and would love a solo inside to try out.

Note the new solo cabins on RCL and on Epic, none have a solo supplement. So, that brings the higher prices of these new ships closer to the 7 day cost I would pay on Carnival X 200%.

I doubt I would ever fly back to NJ to cruise quantum again. As you know I got a super cheap deal .. but I would fly to Florida to cruise in a solo cabin on a sister ship and pay full price at some time in the future when these new ships come out. In fact I do plan on booking more solo cruises direct in the future on my own.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/cabinclass/cabinTypes/cabinType/home.do?br=R&cabincls=B&cabinType=UB&shipCode=QN

Interesting rumor also has one of the NCL new-builds doing something for solos beyond just the current studios.

ncl and rcl can go ahead and build away. it seems they want the bumper cars, rock walls blah blah blah, to me, it takes away the purpose of a cruise. if I want a rock wall or ice rink, i'll stay home. if I want bumper cars, i'll go to six flags and spend $70 as opposed to $4000. newer isn't always better. carnival is fixing up all their ships, I would rather them do that, than build new. rcl or ncl may have more ships, but carnivals will be the safest and that's ok with me

I guess it's fortunate for RCI that there are a lot of people that don't have your mindset and are booking Oasis and Allure on a weekly basis.

12,000 pax every week with itineraries that are ho hum. That is pretty impressive in my book.

Bill

To be honest I feel like I get the same thing on the RCL side at CC get togethers as I get from Sarge and okgirl on the Carnival side. The RCL loyalists are just as blindsided to me. When people were talking about their next cruises .. and I said well I got Conquest and Miracle to Hawaii and Alaska at my Navigator CC meet and mingle .. I get the same reaction from them I get here from Carnival loyalists.

I wish people could be more middle of the road.

Thanks Tom...now I shall aim for some of Firefly's astute booking...and go for it...i want to try something else and may take one can't pass it up on Carnival too...would be great to take 2 different lines back to back, compares the service for a solo with only one plane ticket expense...Sarah

I guess it's fortunate for RCI that there are a lot of people that don't have your mindset and are booking Oasis and Allure on a weekly basis.

12,000 pax every week with itineraries that are ho hum. That is pretty impressive in my book.

Bill

How many pax does your local shopping mall have? Shopping malls are about as exciting and often cheaper.

To be honest I feel like I get the same thing on the RCL side at CC get togethers as I get from Sarge and okgirl on the Carnival side. The RCL loyalists are just as blindsided to me. When people were talking about their next cruises .. and I said well I got Conquest and Miracle to Hawaii and Alaska at my Navigator CC meet and mingle .. I get the same reaction from them I get here from Carnival loyalists.

I wish people could be more middle of the road.

yea that's the way forums work , unfortunate...but if you understand it going in , its no problem

when one is doing research, its easy to identify the rabid cheerleaders and haters... so I just don't stock in what they say or post .. for a decision..

now for pure entertainment value ... its something else

bottom line for me... I want to cruise all , some many lines , so little time

This is about as valid as people saying carnival is the Walmart of the seas.

If you really want to get a crowd in an uproar, tell them that Walmart is the Carnival of discount retail. :p

If you really want to get a crowd in an uproar, tell them that Walmart is the Carnival of discount retail. :p

Carnival only wishes they could be as successful as Walmart. Royal is like Target, where the same tv bought at Walmart cost double at target for the same thing, hence Royal charging double for the same thing, no thanks.

I did a mock booking on rcl the other day just to get a price (thinking about a quick get away sometime) and the cost was $999 per person...when I clicked on the stateroom I wanted, it was now $2,030 (7 day cruise during hurricane season :eek: for a balcony room. that's over double

you need to learn how to shop. RCL cruises double? Double what?

Don't think so

Carnival only wishes they could be as successful as Walmart. Royal is like Target, where the same tv bought at Walmart cost double at target for the same thing, hence Royal charging double for the same thing, no thanks.

This makes no sense

youve never priced tv's on rccl and then found one cheaper on ccl?

Nope. Nor as one other poster referred to how many "pax" go to my local mall. Last time I checked passengers don't go to a mall. Either customers or consumers go to a mall.

How many pax does your local shopping mall have? Shopping malls are about as exciting and often cheaper.

How many people pay $700+ per week to go to the mall?

I think CCL should get rid of George Lopez and hire you because you are a pretty funny dude.:)

Bill

Bill

Have you heard that the other lines are booking and sailing with full ships, too ?????

It doesn't really mean anything that two ships are carrying 12000 pax a week.

Solo cabins only appeal to solos, obviously. I'm not sure Carnival would/should ever build ships with them. That they did away with single pricing for 1As would seem to indicate they get sold anyway. Particularly the ones with portholes. Don't the 1As on Spirit class have two twin beds that can be converted? :confused:

I think a cabin that could be sold to one or two people would be preferred to one that could only be sold to solo passengers. If necessary (apparently not), Carnival could easily adjust solo pricing for double cabins, but not easily sell solo cabins to two people. :cool:

Do you realize that the price of the solo cabins on NCL often go for more than double the price of an inside cabin? (And on low weeks they still go for higher than the list cost of the regular inside- so they 'make' money by keeping those cabins available to two berths, meaning two bar tabs, etc.) But, people actually pay MORE to stay inside these tiny little single (inside) cabins than they would to pay the single supplement to sail in an inside room with more space. There is money to be made.

Lots of ports want a ship. Ask Mobile. Ask San Diego.

If those ports made money for the company, they'd have ships.

Bill

at top $ too oops I forgot what the brilliant economist says "ccl can sell for less because they can"

Archived