Select Dining and Formal Nights

Ha-pealady

Hi, we are embarking on our 1st cruise on Equinox in September and have booked 'Select Dining'. I am a bit uncertain really as to how this actually works. We have booked our 1st night for 8.30pm but as yet have not booked for any other nights. My questions are:

1. If we decide we want to eat somewhere other than MDR if we have already booked a time slot can we do that?

2. Do we have to pre-book every night or can we just turn up when we want to?

3. Can we book some nights for a table for 2 and some nights on a bigger table?

4. What happens on formal nights - do the same rules apply and does this just mean you are supposed to don the bling and dickie bow? Are formal nights all in the MDR?

5. If we want to pre-book speciality restaurants before the cruise how do we know that these won't clash with the "formal" nights or will it be formal in all restaurants on that night?

The more I try to unravel "cruise rules" the more confused it seems to get. If anyone can put me straight I will be relieved.

Hi, we are embarking on our 1st cruise on Equinox in September and have booked 'Select Dining'. I am a bit uncertain really as to how this actually works. We have booked our 1st night for 8.30pm but as yet have not booked for any other nights. My questions are:

1. If we decide we want to eat somewhere other than MDR if we have already booked a time slot can we do that?

2. Do we have to pre-book every night or can we just turn up when we want to?

3. Can we book some nights for a table for 2 and some nights on a bigger table?

4. What happens on formal nights - do the same rules apply and does this just mean you are supposed to don the bling and dickie bow? Are formal nights all in the MDR?

5. If we want to pre-book speciality restaurants before the cruise how do we know that these won't clash with the "formal" nights or will it be formal in all restaurants on that night?

The more I try to unravel "cruise rules" the more confused it seems to get. If anyone can put me straight I will be relieved.

1. Yes, but it would be polite to inform them that you are releasing this appointment so they will not hold it while others are waiting for a table.

2. You can do either. If you just show up you may have a wait for a table. The first time we did this we had a group of 6 and rarely agreed in advance when we wanted to eat and as a result frequently had to wait for a vacant table. The next time we used select one of the couples always called in the morning and we never had a wait for a table.

3. Yes- it's flexible.

4. Formal nights are formal everywhere in the MDR whether select or set dining. Also expected in the specialty restaurants for those nights.

I am curious as to why you are saying that formal attire is "expected" in specialty restaurants on formal nights. Celebrity's policy is smart casual or above on all nights in specialty restaurants. Has something changed?

We didn't make advance reservations and never had to wait for more that a few minutes..

They would ask if you wanted to share a table or would like a table for two. We chose

a table for two. As others have mentioned that the tables are very close together.

As I understand it, formal attire is not required in the specialty restaurants.

Correct. Formal is required in the MDR only although many will choose to dress up no matter where they dine.

Thanks for all your replies.

It seems that "formal" night can be anything then from smart casual (which we would go for as a norm in the evening) or full regalia, i.e. cocktail/long dress etc and black tie for men. What percentage of men go for dinner jacket as my hubby is arguing that its hardly worth taking his dinner suit for a couple of nights and just seems to think a linen suit would suffice. Its a sticking point with us at the moment. I want him to take both!

Also, is a booking before the cruise for speciality restaurants required or is it ok to just book the morning of the night you wish to dine there as I don't really want to book a speciality restaurant on a formal night. Is it the same menu in the MDR on a formal night?

Additional question:

As we have OBC we want to book some shore excursions when we embark on ship as I'm given to understand that OBC cannot be used if you pre-book on line. Are we guaranteed availability (Celebrity putting on more availability if tours are very popular)? Thanks everyone.

Percentages of people dressed up are going to depend on the itinerary and quite frankly people see what they want to see either way so giving a number is difficult. I will say that most men will be in a regular suit no matter what the itinerary.

Booking a specialty restaurant on the day you wish to eat is always possible but you risk getting a very poor time.

Thanks for all your replies.

Additional question:

As we have OBC we want to book some shore excursions when we embark on ship as I'm given to understand that OBC cannot be used if you pre-book on line. Are we guaranteed availability (Celebrity putting on more availability if tours are very popular)? Thanks everyone.

Greetings

OBC must be used ON BOARD. If there is a particular tour you want then either book early and pre pay or go directly to the excursion desk when you get on the ship and hope there is still space available. I don't think anyone can guarantee availability except if you prebook.

Good Sailing

Tom

One thing about formal nights in the MDR is that for one of them there will be lobster on the menu. You can stop in and see the Maitre 'D when you board to find out what night is lobster night, so if it's important to you, you don't book specialty dining on that night.

This is something I've heard a number of friends say is important to them, so that's why I'm passing it along. Others will be of differing opinions, I'm sure.

Archived