Riedel Comparative Wine Seminars

Karen@Steve

Do I understand correctly that you get to keep 4 glasses from the tasting or have them sent to your home? Is there any snacks at the tasting or is it just a cleanse the palate food item? I don't care about wine but my husband does, so I thought this might be interesting for us to do together.

Do I understand correctly that you get to keep 4 glasses from the tasting or have them sent to your home? Is there any snacks at the tasting or is it just a cleanse the palate food item? I don't care about wine but my husband does, so I thought this might be interesting for us to do together.

You get a certificate for four glasses per person. When you get home, you go online and order them using the codes on the certificates. Shipping is $15 to anywhere in the US. You can also take them home with you if you want to avoid the shipping.

There is no food of any kind served during the tasting. But even if you "don't care about wine" you should try this as it may change how you feel about wine. I loved reds when we first went (have done it twice) but have learned that with the right glasses, whites can be delicious.

If you like the glasses, you can purchase extra sets. We did on Eclipse in June as the price is about $35 less than Amazon wants for the same set. The class and the glasses are a really great deal.

The vinum tasting set consists of one glass for each of the following types of wine:

Chardonnay, Pinot Noir, Sauvignon Blanc, and Cabernet Sauvignon.

Excellent, we have the Shiraz and Champagne ones. They are really very good.

Did I get this right? It is $85 for the class and the set of four glasses. How much are extra glass sets each?

Did I get this right? It is $85 for the class and the set of four glasses. How much are extra glass sets each?

You can buy them as a set from some stores in Australia for around $20 per glass (on special).:D

The extra glass sets are also $85. Amazon currently has that same set for $120. It's that particular set that's expensive. If you Aussies can get them for $100 that's a great deal.

We are just off Eclipse in the Baltic and bought two extra sets (total of 4) so we now have a set of 6. Three arrived in great shape, one in pieces. Still waiting for the replacements. Supposed to arrive by August 22.

Jim

As some suggested it may be better to book on board. I have never seen them sell out. If they need more space they move it to a larger area.

It is basically a informercial to sell the glasses.

Do some research first before taking the plunge. Look at the Reidel website. The glasses are very fragile. One lady told me that many of hers broke while hand washing. It just takes a tap against something like the faucet or setting on the sink wrong to break. There are also different grades sold at various outlets and wine shops so don't get confused that you can buy them somewhere else for a better price.

It is amazing how the wine seems to taste different from the different glasses but you have to consider that the event is made to do that. It is like any demonstration, they are based on their strengths and don't show the weaknesses.

I was in a upscale wine shop the other day and there were Reidel glasses for $3.99. I made a comment about the price and the owner said that they are bar or restaurant grade. I said that it was still a good price for those glasses even though they are the cheap grade. We then got into a lengthy discussion about glasses wine.

One was if glasses are that important why do all of the wine judgings use the same style of glass for all of the wines? He said that he carries the glasses because he has a wine shop and it is part of the business, offering things for sale that relates to wine.

As some suggested it may be better to book on board. I have never seen them sell out. If they need more space they move it to a larger area.

It totally agree. The best way to book is with your sommelier at dinner. He gets some credit for it and you get to use Riedel glasses in the dining room for your entire cruise.

It is basically a informercial to seek the glasses.

Do some research first before taking the plunge. Look at the Reidel website. The glasses are very fragile. One lady told me that many of hers broke while hand washing. It just takes a tap against something like the faucet or setting on the sink wrong to break.

I also agree with this. Be very careful with them. It always freaks me out to wash them but get yourself a wine glass sponge brush (got mine from Amazon for under $20) and use it. We have had ours for more than a year and no chips or breaks...so far.:eek:

It is amazing how the wine seems to taste different from the different glasses but you have to consider that the event is made to do that. It is like any demonstration, they are based on their strengths and don't show the weaknesses.

I have tried this on numerous occasions with one glass vs another and the right glass always improves the wine. And it's not just the right glass. It's knowing how to drink from that glass which the class will tell you. We have a friend who tried ours after we did the class and were raving about it and he said, "I can't tell the difference." So I watched him drink and he did what all those testers of wine do, he swished it around in his mouth. Wine was NOT meant to be swished. Different wines are meant to hit different (and not ALL parts) of your tongue. The glasses put the right kind of wine on the right parts of your tongue. It works.

One was if glasses are that important why do all of the wine judgings use the same style of glass for all of the wines? He said that he carries the glasses because he has a wine shop and it is part of the business, offering things for sale that relates to wine.

As I mentioned above, the people who judge wine, swish. I am a believer that this is not the best way to drink wine. To be honest, I think wine tasting and rating is more of a personal thing and the ratings you see in wine magazines are kind of ridiculous. It seems like every wine in every store has a 90 or better score. They can't all be that good. :D

Dr. Koob-As a professional wine judge (see http://winejudging.com/bios/bob_foster.htm ) I couldn't disagree with you more. You state:

"Wine was NOT meant to be swished. Different wines are meant to hit different (and not ALL parts) of your tongue. The glasses put the right kind of wine on the right parts of your tongue. It works."

This was Riedel's orginal claim but based on the now outdated concept that certain areas of the tongue only sense certain tastes (sweet, salty, bitter etc.) This concept has been proven wrong. There are no "right" parts of the tongue. It is ALL of the tongue. So swishing lets the taster taste all the wine has to offer. Additionally swishing the wine volatizes some of the components getting the flavors into the olfactory system and it has been shown that much of taste is smell related.

You defeat your own position. You claim the presence of so many 90+ point wines shows swishing is not the best way to taste. Think about it-you've just admitted swishing makes the wine taste better (and thus results in higher scores.). Sure there are lots of 90 point wines, but you don't see the amazing number of sub 90 point wines that we find. Nobody makes a shelf tag for a 78 point dog of a wine.

You defeat your own position. You claim the presence of so many 90+ point wines shows swishing is not the best way to taste. Think about it-you've just admitted swishing makes the wine taste better (and thus results in higher scores.). Sure there are lots of 90 point wines, but you don't see the amazing number of sub 90 point wines that we find. Nobody makes a shelf tag for a 78 point dog of a wine.

You totally missed my point here. I am saying that what we have with all the 90+ points is what we in education call grade inflation. Everyone can't get an A. It is hard for me to go to a wine store and I never see any wines on the shelves that are less than 90s. Are they all that good? If so, what are they graded against?

I wasn't saying that the grading was good or bad because of swishing, I was just saying that it doesn't make any difference if the "judges" swish. They are going to wind up as 90 or above no matter what.

Whether you are in the swish or non swish camp is your call. I just know that I like certain wines better when I drink them without swishing.

The extra glass sets are also $85. Amazon currently has that same set for $120. It's that particular set that's expensive. If you Aussies can get them for $100 that's a great deal.

Jim

This is only one type of glass (stemless) that I saw advertised the other day.:D

Dr Koop writes: " It is hard for me to go to a wine store and I never see any wines on the shelves that are less than 90s. Are they all that good? "

"I wasn't saying that the grading was good or bad because of swishing, I was just saying that it doesn't make any difference if the "judges" swish. They are going to wind up as 90 or above no matter what."

Where do you come up with this stuff? I've been judging major California wine competitions for over 30 years. High scores are hard to come by. Normally only 15% of the wines entered get golds (The equivalent of a score of 90 or above) Stores only carry the wines they can sell, those with gold medals or 90 or more points. You only see on the shelves the results of the stores' buying decisions. You assume what you see in a store is a full cross section of the market. It is not. Who would buy a 74 point wine for their store? You don't see them because the stores won't stock them. They won't sell

We will have to disagree about swirling. But I have to tell you in 30+ years of being in the wine business you are the ONLY person I have ever heard espouse the no swirl position. Even the Riedel rep who gave my class years ago swirled his wine.

Funny this was posted yesterday as I was trying to also find out about the Riedel Seminars. I was in my reservation (Feb. Eclipse) and it is now available to book but it wasn't telling me what day or time - what if I bought it and then had a conflict - so I guess we'll wait till on board.

Also for those that have done the seminar - dh drinks mostly red and I drink white - will I also enjoy this or would it be better to just send dh? I'd love to "learn" to like red but the room temp turns me off to it. I don't like sweet wine - but dry, dry, dry. Perhaps this seminar can push me over - lol?

LOL, you may change your mind about reds after the clinic...I did!

When we were onboard a few years ago, they were only offering the tasting because something or other caused a backlog at the Riedel. I was not big on any reds until buying the glasses. They are amazing tannin tamers! I really love Pinot Noir now almost more than my beloved Riesling! I so wish we would have been a little more knowledgeable about wines back when we lived in Germany because we lived very close to the Riedel factory in Kufstein, Austria. They had tours there all of the time. We were 20 something when we were there and just starting to really learn about better wines. We were exposed to Gallo, Blue Nun, Mogan David and Manischewitz here in the states, but quickly learned there was more to a wine department in Germany than these names. The Riedel glasses taught us that there is something to the shape of the glasses. I have all these beautiful wine glasses that I bought in Bavaria during our time there, but I will honestly say these days they simply adorn the bar in our massive German Schrank.

It is basically a informercial to sell the glasses.

Do some research first before taking the plunge. Look at the Reidel website. The glasses are very fragile. One lady told me that many of hers broke while hand washing. It just takes a tap against something like the faucet or setting on the sink wrong to break. There are also different grades sold at various outlets and wine shops so don't get confused that you can buy them somewhere else for a better price.

I was in a upscale wine shop the other day and there were Reidel glasses for $3.99. I made a comment about the price and the owner said that they are bar or restaurant grade. I said that it was still a good price for those glasses even though they are the cheap grade. We then got into a lengthy discussion about glasses wine.

I don't necessarily agree with the infomercial comment. We were told that it's the *shape of the glass*, at least at our Riedel tasting, that affects the taste and I have to agree because there is really a difference. Various things I have read seem to support that, not to mention that I have a friend who works in an upscale wine store in Florida that is in total agreement. I personally couldn't stand most reds and I now find the majority of them very appealing, the exception being Merlot and that's only because the oak that it's aged in comes across very strong. Believe me, I did not find this based on a suggestion. Many people enjoy that taste....it personally gives me heartburn.:eek:

Riedel's crystal is of a very good quality and as with any very good crystal, one has to exercise care when washing and caring for them. I have some other shell type lead crystal, ask me how I know! :p I also bumped one of my Swarovski crystal animals, which are not shell, the bear to be precise and it caused some damage. It's crystal, so bumping it can be an issue. Riedel now says that the Vinum will take up to 1500 washes in a Miele dishwasher. I wouldn't dare put mine in a dishwasher! I have a Bosch which is the most uber gentle dishwasher I have ever owned...I wouldn't dream of putting my Riedel in there, or for that matter in a Miele, if for no other reason, temperature fluxes.

At any rate, they offer many grades of wine glasses, so it isn't really necessary to buy the top of the line. I bought the *Wine Collection* and the *O Series* which are all a little cheaper, more durable, but produce the same results. I want to by the Vitis collection because I love the shape of them. Williams and Sonoma offers a package called Ouverture and Grape. If you are planning to share wine with friends, this is the best way....that way, you won't be sorry you didn't glue your friend's hand to your Vinum glass. :rolleyes:

I have seen Riedel in Home Goods and Tuesday Morning for sale. Living Social and Groupon both offered coupons for the Wine Enthusiast which is how I bought part of my collection. I found the tasting very informative and if you are really interested purchasing the Vinum, getting them on the ship is not a bad deal.

"One was if glasses are that important why do all of the wine judgings use the same style of glass for all of the wines? "

Answers:

They don't buy into the Reidel myth that each varietal needs its own special shape.

The cost factor for wine competitions could be overwhelming. A large competitions needs over 1000 glasses (which will be used 2 or 3 times during the competition.)

I thought the Reidel seminar was going to be a big pile of baloney. My friends were going so I went... reluctantly.

I was truly surprised at the difference in the taste of the wine using the correct glass, because I was a huge skeptic. And they didn't sell anything to us. It was only $25pp and no glasses included. I signed up on board. I know the seminar that included the glasses was more expensive, but evidently on several cruises in a row it wasn't available. So we had the experience but no glasses (I was fine w/ that).

I thought the Reidel seminar was going to be a big pile of baloney. My friends were going so I went... reluctantly.

I was truly surprised at the difference in the taste of the wine using the correct glass, because I was a huge skeptic. And they didn't sell anything to us. It was only $25pp and no glasses included. I signed up on board. I know the seminar that included the glasses was more expensive, but evidently on several cruises in a row it wasn't available. So we had the experience but no glasses (I was fine w/ that).

I suppose for those not wanting the glasses that is a reasonable option.:D

• 1 month later...

Have I got this right?

You attend the Riedel comparative wine seminar for $82 and you get a set of 4 Vinum series glasses. (Sauv Blanc, Chardy, Pinot Noir and Cabernet)

How much is it if you want to buy additional sets?

Have I got this right?

You attend the Riedel comparative wine seminar for $82 and you get a set of 4 Vinum series glasses. (Sauv Blanc, Chardy, Pinot Noir and Cabernet)

How much is it if you want to buy additional sets?

Cost was $85 plus $15 shipping if you have them send the glasses to your home. You can carry them off for free. Cost of an additional set is $85.

Cost was $85 plus $15 shipping if you have them send the glasses to your home. You can carry them off for free. Cost of an additional set is $85.

I will definitely be attending this. Strange that you pay $85 but don't get any wine with them for the extra sets. Maybe you can ask for double the wine (or triple) at the seminar. :D Compared to the prices we pay for these glasses in Aus this is very cheap.

We have 3 different sets of the Vinum glasses and they are excellent. My wife broke one of the Champagne ones last night. Too bad you don't get one of those.

Archived