How soon to reserve specialty restaurants?

sjde

Do most people reserve ahead of the cruise? Or is the first night of the cruise a good time to do it? Problem is, I like to see the MDR menu before deciding whether to go or which night.

Which of the restaurants do you prefer?

If you wait to see the GDR menu it may be too late to get in that night

You could always book ahead of time & if something on the GDR menu strikes your fancy call & cancel the specialty reservation

We usually book the day our time slot opens up ( time frame depends on the cabin Cat)

Lyn

We will be booking the day we are allowed to make advance reservations and will base those decisions on our itinerary. For late days in port, we will stick with MDR or Terraces for maximum flexibility and for days that have us back aboard by 6PM, we plan to try the specialty restaurants.

I did my reservations on line as soon as I could based on the other things I had pre planed for the day. We had a OV cabin so I was afraid of not getting the times I wanted however I had no problem. There was so much great food I never felt I wanted something I could not find. We were on a 11 day trip and only used the MDR once, we found the buffet to be great for dinner and used it often. We were on the Rivera.

We dined in Jacques on the first night of our 14 day March 2013 Caribbean cruise. We made our reservations on the first day for PH's using the itinerary to pick times. Our documents listed the day. There is usually no problem cancelling or picking up reservations. We have never been unhappy with any venue on O ships. It's just fun to dine in different settings. Enjoy !

I was advised by my TA to make the reservations on the first day I could because, in her words, "that's what her sales rep at Oceania says to do".

So as soon as I made final payment (which I did ahead of the final payment date), I checked the website and I was able to reserve right there and then.

I think that it's better to have the choice to cancel (by reserving early) than to not have the choice to book, simply because of waiting.

Of course, this could be considered as antisocial, because it's maybe preventing others from booking on nights when you have a reservation that you are "holding" rather than being 100% committed to.

At the same time, the early bird and all that;)

I was advised by my TA to make the reservations on the first day I could because, in her words, "that's what her sales rep at Oceania says to do".

So as soon as I made final payment (which I did ahead of the final payment date), I checked the website and I was able to reserve right there and then.

I think that it's better to have the choice to cancel (by reserving early) than to not have the choice to book, simply because of waiting.

Of course, this could be considered as antisocial, because it's maybe preventing others from booking on nights when you have a reservation that you are "holding" rather than being 100% committed to.

At the same time, the early bird and all that;)

The only time that we have ever regretted making the Reservations in advance, was when we met people on the ship with whom we wanted to Dine on that evening.

Adding to an existing reservation is not as easy as it may seem. For one thing, you need to know the other people's cabin number when the request is made.

We've never had a problem adding to are table, the butler took care of it. We may had to go in a little later but not much. It all worked out. And we do cancel a few reservations near the end of the cruise because we just get tried of eating that much food.

Rick

I am paid in full and unable to reserve at this time so there must be a timing factor.

I am paid in full and unable to reserve at this time so there must be a timing factor.

It is dependent on your cabin Cat

Suites get to book 90 days out

PH 75 days out

Concierge 60 days out

B to G 45 days out

Online reservations close 7 days from the sailing date

It is dependent on your cabin Cat

Suites get to book 90 days out

PH 75 days out

Concierge 60 days out

B to G 45 days out

Online reservations close 7 days from the sailing date

That was my understanding. FreedomSeeker had a different experience so I thought I would give it a try.:)

That was my understanding. FreedomSeeker had a different experience so I thought I would give it a try.:)

Well I guess they are in a suite or got lucky :confused:

We have never been able to book earlier than the rules allow

Well I guess they are in a suite or got lucky :confused:

We have never been able to book earlier than the rules allow

I must have been lucky. According to the rules, even though I am paid in full, I ought not to have been able to reserve until 90 days out (for our cabin category).....but the system let me book, and they are on my invoice.

Wow. Weird.

I must have been lucky. According to the rules, even though I am paid in full, I ought not to have been able to reserve until 90 days out (for our cabin category).....but the system let me book, and they are on my invoice.

Wow. Weird.

As long as you're booked in a Suite which qualifies for the earliest reservation deadlines, their system will allow you to make reservations as soon as Final Payment is made, even several months ahead, should that be the case.

It has been that way for as long as the online system has been in place.

As long as you're booked in a Suite which qualifies for the earliest reservation deadlines, their system will allow you to make reservations as soon as Final Payment is made, even several months ahead, should that be the case.

It has been that way for as long as the online system has been in place.

Thanks for the clarification! If someone was going to know, it was going to be JimandStan....you guys are the source of so much incredible information and photos.

I am especially fond of the story of the loudspeakers on the balcony on Marina, with the frustration of not realizing that the volume control was controlling outside and not inside the suite....to the surprise of everyone including your butler!

Archived