Any fav's with new food menu this year?

I'm in with the Banana Rum soup crowd. Only chilled soup I've ever liked. I am concerned that maybe I have a weird appetite as I really like the Duck. Had it twice and it is definitely a favorite. Hasn't been mentioned.

Also the fish dishes are all way better than the old menu.

Are these menus repeated for longer cruises? We are on a 15 night cruise and I'm wondering if they will mix in other menus or just run these 7 twice.

Our experience on a 13 night cruise was that the menus were different every night. There may have been some repeated entrees, but each night was unique.

We were on the Freedom last year when the new menus first came out. We thought the food was very, very good (one exception: my daughter had a steak on the regular menu that was not good). The desserts are not the best you will ever have, but most are darn good.

My favorite main course entree was one of the vegetarian options, the artichoke crepes. OMG to die for! check it out:

food4.jpg

But the best thing in the dining room? Our server, Coleen, was absolutely THE BEST:

foodcoleen.jpg

Edited by jkskrap

Our experience on a 13 night cruise was that the menus were different every night. There may have been some repeated entrees, but each night was unique.

What about shorter cruises? Is there a way to see what 4 nights are picked out for a four night cruise?

:DThanks for all the great suggestions. Does anyone know if they have come out with a new RCI cookbook that reflects these new menu items? Can you buy RCI cookbook "Flavors" on board, or do you need to pre-order and have delivered to your cabin while on board? Thanks to everyone for responding and keeping the questions going...:)

Mojo Pork Chop.

Ugh I think that was possibly one of the best things I ate all week. Really nice juicy chop, and I was even able to substitute my sweet potato for a baked regular potato.

I know the savory bites from the bread basket aren't new, but holy smokes those were delicious too.

I prefer the new menus and this is going to sound weird but the sliders on a tomato brioche were really GOOD! I ordered them on formal night kind of as a joke and they were excellent. (the bread and the aioli sauce and fries made them).

The braised beef duo was very good too, and not something I'd ordinarily go for as it sounded a bit heavy.

The shrimp Gyoza entree was good but not filling and was a great thing to split w/ someone else as a side dish kind of thing.

I liked the Poblano pepper and corn soup.

I didn't find anything absolutely outstanding but nothing was bad. I'd say all was good to very good.

Giovianni's Table was outstanding! For lunch and dinner.

Hi there.

My 10 year old daughter is a little non adventurous with food.

Basically she doesn't eat mixed up or wet food such as food with gravies or sauces .

Would it be out of line to ask for a plain chicken breast or a baked potato?

She loves veg but not covered in parsley butter.

I don't really want her eating from the kids menu in the evening.

She will probably eat junk in the day.

Thanks Sam .

Hi there.

Basically she doesn't eat mixed up or wet food such as food with gravies or sauces .

Thanks Sam .

You should not have any trouble at all. You don't mention if you have an assigned table or are doing MTD. If you have the same waiters, they will quickly learn how your daughter likes things and will no doubt go out of their way to please her. On one cruise with a grand son that has very particular tastes, they brought him a plate of chopped cilantro from Rita's every night.

Hi there.

Thanks Sam .

I have an equally fussy 10 year old step-daughter. Drives me nuts! She will only eat plain meat, plain veg too so she will probably stick to the always available selections of chicken and steak as I think they are very plain and come with steamed veg. You should always be able to get a jacket potato if the meal doesn't come with that, just ask the waiter.

We are hoping that seeing everyone else eat lots of different things might encourage her to branch out a little but I won't hold my breath. :rolleyes:

They're golf-ball sized, dark, triangular rolls. The savory bites also can vary from night to night. On Jewel one night they had sun-dried tomatoes, one night they had olives, the next night they had onion, etc. But on Independence they were always the standard poppy seed version.

Edited by ahecht

The savory bites also can vary from night to night. On Jewel one night they had sun-dried tomatoes, one night they had olives, the next night they had onion, etc. But on Independence they were always the standard poppy seed version.

We have never had them vary but have never sailed Jewel (yet!). It will be interesting when we get on Jewel to check them out.

Back on the subject, my favorite new dishes were the garlic soup, the scallop and chorizo (order two!), the fish rillettes, the horseradish salmon, the artichoke crepes, the tiger shrimp, the bread and butter pudding, and the BBB creme brulee. The shrimp ravioli are good too (the sauce is the lobster bisque from the starters menu), but they are identical to the ones from the old menu.

• 4 weeks later...

Love all of the recommendations! I actually started a new thread because I thought this was an older post. Anyway, I wanted to post a compiled list of all of the suggestions I found here (and a few from elsewhere). Anything else to add to the list?

The stars indicate each additional time I saw it suggested (so no stars means that I only saw it once), although I stopped adding stars after there was a lot.

-orecchiette pasta w short rib sauce

-chicken cordon bleu*

-sea scallop & chorizo app*****

-chocolate sensation dessert (warm) *******

-chicken salad app

-chicken caesar salad entree

-seafood spaghetti**

-fisherman’s platter (lobster/shrimp)

-strip steak (every day menu) (hit or miss)

-entree salads*

-banana rum soup ***

-bay scallops*

-lamb shank*

-lasagna*

-chilled soup*

-tandoori chicken salad

-garlic tiger shrimp***

-mojo pork chop***

-tiramisu

-garlic soup**

-blueberry peach crumble*