Advice please. Mid-ship or forward

Hi to everyone,

We are new to the forum and to cruising. We have been directed to this Royal Carribean forum by the main site for new cruisers, so it's good to find you as although we have looked and browsed generally we did not find you until now.

We are hoping to book for the Baltic cruise from Southampton next June. Just a bit unsure as to cabins. We had thought of mid-ship but that would be deck 2 oceanview which might possibly be noisy?. The other choice would be at the 'front' of the ship deck 9 larger oceanview but we wondered about more movement there.?. What does anyone think...

We would appreciate any comments and/or advice. We are retired and reasonably fit and really looking forward to booking this cruise and hope to take the plunge in the next couple of days as already there seem few cabins left!!!

Thanks for any help

Hi and welcome from Lincolnshire to cruise critic.

I would stick to mid-ship - the North Sea can get a bit rough and cause some movement to the ship. Fore and aft feel the most motion.

Have you considered a promenade cabin? Deck 6, mid ship promenade cabins are our favourite.

Pete

Welcome aboard! It's true that there may be more motion in the front of the ship, and also on higher decks. You're the best judge if that will be a problem for you. Neither my hubby nor I have much of a problem with motion sickness, so we don't worry too much about the location. (Also, we've done 16 cruises and really only experienced serious motion on 2 of them, moderate motion on 4, and little or no motion noticeable on 10. BUT none of those were Baltic cruises.)

Go ahead and book the cabin you think you'll like best right now. But keep checking because a lot of the cabins that are showing as booked right now may become available before you cruise. Some people will cancel before the final pay date. So you may be able to change cabins later if a location you like better becomes available.

We sailed the Adventure in Janurary - she is a lovely ship and I hope you'll have a wonderful cruise!:)

Judy

Deck 2 midship will be more stable then Deck 9 forward, especially sailing from the UK in the Atlantic Ocean. Also, the AOS is a large ship and it can be a hike from the forward cabins to the elevators and/or stairs. Deck two should be quiet.

One point, because of the ice rink and it's supports and storage areas it is not a thru deck so if you want to get to a location on the other side of the rink you would have to go up to deck 5 (The Royal Promenade) and walk there.

Most people from all decks do use the Promenade as their walking deck, lots to see and do there. and it is certainly less boring then taking a long walk on a cabin deck.

Another vote for midship, however I'd prefer to be higher than deck 2 (only my opinion). Deck 2 can be a long way down from the Windjammer, pools etc.

Perhaps try a promenade cabin if you can't stretch to a balcony - they offer great views of the parades along the promenade. It's usually quieter the higher the deck you go in a promenade cabin (just remember to draw you curtains as there are cabins directly opposite which can see into your cabin :eek: - never a problem for us though).

I don't get seasick, but I find the side-to-side motion far worse than the up and down. For rough seas the lower decks would be better. My own personal opinion, forward or aft make very little difference on the upper decks. It's not like the ship is riding over the waves.

Enjoy your future cruises...

Archived