AFT Cabins... Has anyone ever NOT liked their Aft?

I will be sailing on the Freedom in April. I booked Aft Number 9706. I am going back and forth about it. I am worried about the views being blocked and the fumes from the back of the ship. I normally book Junior Suites.

I was wondering if anyone ever NOT liked their aft and why? Also what deck were you on?

I haven't had an aft balcony on Freedom, but we've had them on Voyager, Adventure, and Navigator. Those ships are quite similar to Freedom, just smaller. We've been on decks 7, 8 and 9 on those ships.

We've never noticed any fumes at all. Once we did have a bit of soot - that's something to be aware of and check for before you sit down or go outside barefoot. (Apparently when the wind condition is just right, soot happens.)

The aft balconies are tiered, so it's true that balconies above you can look down and see part of your balcony. You can also look up and see part of their balconies. This has never been an issue for us. On one ship it was kind of fun to 'meet' the neighbors and say hello periodically.

As for blocked views, to me the views are not really blocked. There is some ship superstructure that's visible, but it's really very minimally intrusive. It's kind of like how you see the view when you drive your car. When you're in the driver's seat, you have a 180 degree view. There are the "obstructions" of the side posts of the windshield and the front windows, but does that really impede your view? Maybe that's not a good comparison, but I've just never been bothered by the superstructure on the aft. Hopefully your DH won't be bothered either after he gets used to it. The larger balcony is soooo nice!!

Judy

I will be sailing on the Freedom in April. I booked Aft Number 9706. I am going back and forth about it. I am worried about the views being blocked and the fumes from the back of the ship. I normally book Junior Suites.

I was wondering if anyone ever NOT liked their aft and why? Also what deck were you on?

I've never had one, but its a subject I have been researching. I would have had one for my 2014 cruise, but somebody snatched it from under me! ;) A couple of random thoughts.

If your mobility impaired, on Freedom its along walk back there. I did have an ocean view on Allure that all the way to the back, but not a true aft. That is a 100 yard walk. It was ok for us.

On our first cruise our table mates had an aft on deck 6 and said they felt a lot of vibration from the ships drive system. Otherwise most people like the Afts. I hope to join the club someday.

We have had several on a few different class ships and we love them. The super structure isnt as bad as some make it out to be.... at least in my opinion. I think the views are tough to beat. Sure there is some metal framing on that ship, but hey... having the 180 degree view is well work it.

I've never had one, but its a subject I have been researching. I would have had one for my 2014 cruise, but somebody snatched it from under me! ;) A couple of random thoughts.

If your mobility impaired, on Freedom its along walk back there. I did have an ocean view on Allure that all the way to the back, but not a true aft. That is a 100 yard walk. It was ok for us.

On our first cruise our table mates had an aft on deck 6 and said they felt a lot of vibration from the ships drive system. Otherwise most people like the Afts. I hope to join the club someday.

Just my opinion, but the VERY BEST aft balcony of all is the deck 7 corner aft on Voyager & Freedom class ships. We just had 7388 (starboard corner aft) on Navigator of the Seas for a 15 night TA and we were in balcony heaven! Our balcony was the 2nd largest on the ship at about 220 sq ft - the only bigger one was the Royal Suite. (We even had a little party with 16 people out there when we went through the Straits of Gibralter and had plenty of room!)

On Navigator, 7388 and 7688 are E1 balconies, so they are actually among the least expensive balconies. It's unique in that the balcony has more square footage than the cabin. This huge balcony has the normal aft view plus a 6 foot open porthole on the side, so you have both side and aft views....the best of both worlds. Ours had 2 loungers, 2 chairs, and a small table. It is mostly covered, so rain was no issue, and there was always a part of it with sun each day. And, of course, DH brought along a hammock and hung it out there for many a happy hour with his Kindle!:D This pic is looking toward the starboard side - the back of the ship is to the right.

<a href=Nav7388balcony.jpg' alt='Nav7388balcony.

We’ve had aft cabins on several ships. The balcony space is terrific and view is very relaxing. There can soot at times. If you have any mobility issues, it can be a long walk to any staircase or elevator. (on the other hand, if mobility is NOT an issue, have that extra dessert! :)) Some ships have a superstructure so that you cannot see straight down to the water.

enjoy

M

We loved our aft on Freedom room 7710. Yours on the 9th deck will have more sun due to not being covered or partially covered. My balcony was 10ft x 10ft. So there was plenty of room. we had 6 people standing on balcony along with the 2 loungers, 2 chairs and table. I may have some pics I can upload.

I'm hoping this will work as I'm trying to post somebody else's image from Photobucket....here's a pic of the back of Freedom with cabin numbers. You can see your balcony, 9706 on the left side. It's quite a bit larger than the corner aft 9704 as you can see. The people on deck 10 above you could look down and see part of your balcony if they stand at the rail of theirs. You can also look up from your railing and see part of their balconies. Just don't greet the day by standing at the railing in your birthday suit and you'll be fine...:p

(And the huge deck 7 corner afts I referred to above would be 7408 and 7708 on Freedom.)

Freedom_aft_balconies.jpg

Judy

Edited by foxgoodrich

Nope, loved it! And when I booked Enchanctment for my DM and DD, I told DM we were on the hump and she asked "What?, they didn't have any of those aft cabins?" LOL:p I had to tell her since we were a triple instead of two doubles, we couldn't get those aft cabins in Enchantment- she was very disappointed! :D

I did book the corner aft on Jewel for DH and I because the extra space and panorama is so worth it- especially on these ships where you don't pay any more than a standard balcony. I guess of the wind is right (wrong) you could get some soot. I was sooted a little on the flow rider deck on Allure, so I guess soot happens:o But I had no soot problems on Jewel!

And I'm of the belief that nothing on any ship is a long walk for me when I regularly walk and bike miles at atime:rolleyes:

I bet there were some recent cruisers on the Grandeur that didn't like their aft :rolleyes:

But seriously, if you don't kind a little extra walk, it's worth it just for the getting a different view than everyone else with a balcony.

just my opinion, but the very best aft balcony of all is the deck 7 corner aft on voyager & freedom class ships. We just had 7388 (starboard corner aft) on navigator of the seas for a 15 night ta and we were in balcony heaven! Our balcony was the 2nd largest on the ship at about 220 sq ft - the only bigger one was the royal suite. (we even had a little party with 16 people out there when we went through the straits of gibralter and had plenty of room!)

on navigator, 7388 and 7688 are e1 balconies, so they are actually among the least expensive balconies. It's unique in that the balcony has more square footage than the cabin. This huge balcony has the normal aft view plus a 6 foot open porthole on the side, so you have both side and aft views....the best of both worlds. Ours had 2 loungers, 2 chairs, and a small table. It is mostly covered, so rain was no issue, and there was always a part of it with sun each day. And, of course, dh brought along a hammock and hung it out there for many a happy hour with his kindle!:d this pic is looking toward the starboard side - the back of the ship is to the right.

<a href=nav7388balcony.jpg' alt='nav7388balcony.

Love the photo

yes yes yes on all the rest

We have been in corner afts cabins 7388 7688 a bunch on Voyager Class!

Doing another b2b in November on 7 corner aft in same room 21 days on Navigator!

The views are great

and the parties are wonderful (we had 21 before a group specialty house dinner one night with room to spare)

Edited by ssb

We have our 1st ever aft booked on the FOS for next April...7708...so I can't comment whether we like it or not, but I'm sure it is going to be...love it!

7708 will be the BEST of the Afts! It's huge and on the corner with the big side porthole, so you'll have both the side and back view. It will look very similar to the balcony in my pic above (the one with DH in his hammock) but it's on the opposite side of the ship. (And by the way, DH took a bunch of pics of how he hung the hammock....just FYI if you're thinking of trying that.)

Yes I think you're right...you'll probably love the 7708 corner aft balcony!

Judy

7708 will be the BEST of the Afts! It's huge and on the corner with the big side porthole, so you'll have both the side and back view. It will look very similar to the balcony in my pic above (the one with DH in his hammock) but it's on the opposite side of the ship. (And by the way, DH took a bunch of pics of how he hung the hammock....just FYI if you're thinking of trying that.)

Yes I think you're right...you'll probably love the 7708 corner aft balcony!

Judy

I remember seeing those pics, very cool idea...we are very excited and can't wait!

I also LOVE the aft balcony cabins. However, I would not book aft cabins on deck 6 on the Voyager and Freedom class ships. Too much stuff in the way to really see out to the ocean. Other than the deck 7 corner cabins, I would choose a higher deck.

Edited by ARCruisinNana

I also LOVE the aft balcony cabins. However, I would not book aft cabins on deck 6 on the Voyager and Freedom class ships. Too much stuff i the way to really see out to the ocean. Other than the deck 7 corner cabins, I would choose a higher deck.

This is very true. Deck 6 aft balconies have a large flat space in front of them that they have to look over to see the water. It's kind of like the balcony overlooks a big patio before the water is visible. You could also see this flat space from the higher decks, but it was below and not as intrusive.

Judy

I had this on Liberty (Freedom's sister ship) and would do it again in a heartbeat!!!! Unfortunately, every cruise I have looked at lately the afts are taken and I just can't bring myself to stay in a "regular" balcony....darn you aft....like I was warned "once you go aft you won't go back"...WAH!! oh well, I may have to "lower" my standards and pick mid-ship :p

Enjoy your cruise!!

Had an aft on the Navigator back in 2004. Really did not care for it. I know, I'm in the minority, but I absolutely hated the superstructure that surrounds the aft balconies. The extra space didn't make up for it for me. I felt so disconnected from the ocean when I was out on the balcony. I much prefer the smaller, side balconies.

If you've never had one, though, I say you need to try it. So very many people prefer it, that I'm sure that I'm the anomaly.

Today, 02:05 PM

theavonb

Hey Theavonb? When in April are you going? We tried to get that cabin for our April 6th trip but they said its a cabin for four people and you have to pay for four people.

Thanks for all the comments. I have our very first Aft (and very first JS) on Grandeur 8588 for Labor Day week.

When I saw the photos of the damage, I was saying "OMG, that's my cabin!!!"

Hoping that the rebuilding crews will be on time!!!

Today, 02:05 PM

theavonb

Hey Theavonb? When in April are you going? We tried to get that cabin for our April 6th trip but they said its a cabin for four people and you have to pay for four people.

We booked back in March for the April 6th sailing to secure that cabin as my hubby has this thing for heights. When he saw a picture of it he said he could handle the height issue. My TA wasn't told this about the cabin and she said it was a triple and not to worry about it. Sure hope it isn't an issue. Our first time on FOS and first aft.

Hey Avonb...We are on the same sailing but I think I am going to change my Aft. I am just not sure if I can get around looking at the substructure. I am going to get a junior suite instead. My aft that I booked is on Dec 9 towards the corner. (right next to the corner Aft). If you want, you can have it. Not sure if the one you booked is better.

I've never had an aft, but I'm sure I would like it, except for the long walk to the elevators. Other than that, I can't think of a reason why I wouldn't book one if I had the chance. Everytime I book a cruise, all the afts are already gone. Makes me wonder, just how far out do you have to book to get an aft? :)