Just off the Diamond Princess Northbound if any questions out there.

Ashfry

I believe his first name is Dino? I really liked him and he always kept us up to date on the weather and the seas. ESP the day we had rougher seas he let us know almost to the min when we would have smooth sailing. And he did the same when we left the inside passage. It was good for us as we had a couple people in our group prone to sea sickness so we could prepare and plan accordingly.

I figured there would be somewhere on Diamond on Deck 5 to get the brewed coffee --but had read several comments that sounded like there wasn't any coffee area....

Brewed and specialty coffees are available at the Calypso Bar on the Sun Deck, Deck 15 and the Lobby Bar on Plaza (Deck 5)--basically at the bars. The difference I found with not having an International Cafe was the lack of pastries. The buffet has basic pastries and the fruit & yogurt parfaits, but not the fancier bakery-type ones available at the International Cafes on other ships.

I have some clothing questions:

What did your 4yo wear to non-formal nights? I'm not exactly sure what smart casual would look like on a child, lol! I have two DDs - do I have to throw on dresses on them?

How cold did you get on your H&M tour? What did you wear? What would you suggest?

What did you wear during Hubbard & Glacier Bay days, while on deck?

I'm starting to pack since we leave in one week and am trying not to overpack!

I have some clothing questions:

What did your 4yo wear to non-formal nights? I'm not exactly sure what smart casual would look like on a child, lol! I have two DDs - do I have to throw on dresses on them?

How cold did you get on your H&M tour? What did you wear? What would you suggest?

What did you wear during Hubbard & Glacier Bay days, while on deck?

You need a wide range of attire, no matter when you go, including lined jackets, hat and gloves, all the way to shorts perhaps, (I have never worn shorts in Alaska).

Formal nights would require dressy attire, if wearing pants, should be dress pants and a nicer top.

Always bring jackets with whale watches. Better to have them and not need them.

A hint to avoid overpacking .... you only need to change the layer of clothing that is next to your skin. So if you're on a 7day trip, bring 7 tshirts, but only 2 sweatshirts/fleece pullovers. A hooded waterproof jacket for the top layer.

A knit hat and pair gloves are good to have for glacier viewing ... if it's cold you'll be glad you brought them, and if it's not cold they don't take up much room.

Bring a daypack so you have a place to store your layers (and wallet, cameras, binoculars, etc). If the day warms up you can store your outer layers, or if the weather goes sour you have warmer clothes to put on.

(I keep a plastic poncho in my pack regardless of where I travel ... easier to walk with than an umbrella).

You can contact H&M directly for price information.

Hi! Thanks for the chance to ask questions. We are going from SF to Alaska on the Grand Princess in August and I'm interested in maybe doing a whale watch and locals are always the best. Can you please give me some contract information for H&M? I would sure appreciate it.

Thanks, Cindy

You need a wide range of attire, no matter when you go, including lined jackets, hat and gloves, all the way to shorts perhaps, (I have never worn shorts in Alaska).

Formal nights would require dressy attire, if wearing pants, should be dress pants and a nicer top.

Always bring jackets with whale watches. Better to have them and not need them.

A hint to avoid overpacking .... you only need to change the layer of clothing that is next to your skin. So if you're on a 7day trip, bring 7 tshirts, but only 2 sweatshirts/fleece pullovers. A hooded waterproof jacket for the top layer.

A knit hat and pair gloves are good to have for glacier viewing ... if it's cold you'll be glad you brought them, and if it's not cold they don't take up much room.

Bring a daypack so you have a place to store your layers (and wallet, cameras, binoculars, etc). If the day warms up you can store your outer layers, or if the weather goes sour you have warmer clothes to put on.

(I keep a plastic poncho in my pack regardless of where I travel ... easier to walk with than an umbrella).

I have the warm & waterproof layers down - it's just that I'm starting to realize that it may not be the frigid temperatures that I've imagined it would be. I think that I may need to shift what I bring. I'm from the SF Bay Area, and I imagine that the temperatures could be similar to what I'm used to here. I'm afraid I'm packing too tops for cold weather (40-50) and not enough for warm weather (ie 60-70.) Yes, 60-70 is perfect/warm around here. 80-90 is just hot and unbearable!

I just want some real-time experience of what people wore on these small-medium boat cruises for reference, so i can make an educated guess on how I will need to pack for myself and my family members. (yes, I know there are many factors ie weather and whether the person runs cold or hot, etc.)

I have the warm & waterproof layers down - it's just that I'm starting to realize that it may not be the frigid temperatures that I've imagined it would be. I think that I may need to shift what I bring. I'm from the SF Bay Area, and I imagine that the temperatures could be similar to what I'm used to here. I'm afraid I'm packing too tops for cold weather (40-50) and not enough for warm weather (ie 60-70.) Yes, 60-70 is perfect/warm around here. 80-90 is just hot and unbearable!

I just want some real-time experience of what people wore on these small-medium boat cruises for reference, so i can make an educated guess on how I will need to pack for myself and my family members. (yes, I know there are many factors ie weather and whether the person runs cold or hot, etc.)

No the weather will not be similar to SF. FAR wider range. My recommendations are for IF you are going to be OUTSIDE during your glacier sailing? IF not, then cut out the coats, having maybe a couple sweatshirts instead.

But if any possible plans to be outside at glaciers, you need to have what I mention.

I have way over 30 trips to Alaska, so my information is first hand, including this year. I always have a lightweight lined nylon jacket, sweatshirt jacket and t shirts. I spend a great deal of my time out on deck and wore these every day. Occasionally I needed my hat and gloves.

Over and over, I always see huge numbers of people with purchased Alaska jackets, hats and sweatshirts, having underprepared.

I had one large bag for 2 people, gone 5 weeks this year. No, I don't rewear smelly clothes. Doing laundry is the key. And, I rinsed out some items in the sink and hung them to dry in the room, using Zote laundry bar soap.

I believe his first name is Dino? I really liked him and he always kept us up to date on the weather and the seas. ESP the day we had rougher seas he let us know almost to the min when we would have smooth sailing. And he did the same when we left the inside passage. It was good for us as we had a couple people in our group prone to sea sickness so we could prepare and plan accordingly.

Thanks. My friend thought he was leaving soon for the Royal Princess.

I looked it up - Relief Captain Dino Sagani is the Relief Captain for the Royal Princess. So that makes sense. She liked him also.

We were were unprepared for the surprisingly hot weather we experienced upon arrival earlier this month...actually had to stop and purchase some shorts before leaving Anchorage! Also experienced mostly warm and pleasant weather in Glacier Bay and all three ports.

That being said, we still bundled up with hats, gloves, fleece vests and jackets and waterproof/windproof shells when we were watching the Hubbard glacier or out on the open decks scanning for wildlife when the ship was moving at a good clip. Different areas on the ship can have radically different "microclimates" as well and if you plan to spend time outdoors you need to be prepared for whatever comes your way.

We were were unprepared for the surprisingly hot weather we experienced upon arrival earlier this month...actually had to stop and purchase some shorts before leaving Anchorage! Also experienced mostly warm and pleasant weather in Glacier Bay and all three ports.

That being said, we still bundled up with hats, gloves, fleece vests and jackets and waterproof/windproof shells when we were watching the Hubbard glacier or out on the open decks scanning for wildlife when the ship was moving at a good clip. Different areas on the ship can have radically different "microclimates" as well and if you plan to spend time outdoors you need to be prepared for whatever comes your way.

Thanks for the reply. I've been so focused on how to stay warm and dry, I've neglected the fact that it could be warm, too. I'm much more afraid of heat than I am of the cold, lol! Luckily shorts and tees don't take up too much more space.

Yes we had wide range of weather. Juneau was the warmest port we were in but out on the Harv and marv boat it was a bit cooler. We all had long sleeve shirts and fleece on. Now we are from Florida:). My son also used a blanket that they provide on board as he was cold. As the tour went on it warmed up, so depends on if your tour is in the morning or afternoon too. We were downright hot when we went to mendenhall glacier to hike! Glad I had long sleeves on though bc the Mosquitos were terrible and we didn't have any repellent:/

My son wore dark jeans two or three nights to the mdr. Otherwise he wore cargo pants that were khaki or grey. Always a collared shirt. For the girls I think a summer cotton dress would be fine. Or cute embellished jeans. I felt the temp varied in the mdr though, some nights were cooler than others. Maybe pack a sweater to bring in case.

Glacier bay was freezing, again I am from Florida but I was wearing under armour, a long sleeve shirt, a fleece and my light weight wind/ rain jacket, plus a hat and gloves. My sone had less layers. My husband wore a shirt and a fleece, he's from Chicago. I think if my husband had been on upper deck he would've worn more. We were on our dolphin deck exposed balcony.

One thing I found not ok was the horizon court is steaming hot. I know they have all the food Warner's on and not sure if it just seems so drastic bc of the outside air being chilled, but it is almost unbearable. We actually chose to eat by the indoor pool and another are sheltered a bit but outside. It was literally so hot I felt like I was suffocating:/. If you plan on eating in there shed the layers first!

• 5 weeks later...
How did you get to Anchorage from the ship? And what time did you arrive? Curious as to how much time we will have before our 11:30pm flight. Thanks!

Looking for the same information.

Whittershuttle.com has the PM special leaving Whittier at 5:00pm, should take about 1:30 hour, and that leaves a long time before the mid-night flights. Any other options?

• 2 weeks later...

So can you tell me what the mattresses are like? The more details the better. Need to decide whether to bring my air mattress. I need a firm supporting mattress good for back sleeping.

Thank you!

Marie

• 1 month later...

Which side of the ship were you on? We have a starboard side balcony booked for a northbound cruise next summer but I am having second thoughts. I am worried that the port side will be better for viewing in Glacier Bay. We will be there so early in the morning that it would be nice to stay on the balcony.

Also wondering if port side would be better for sunsets? (We ware going the first week in June.)

Any thoughts as to which side is better? I've read so many opinions and am confused.

Archived