Pearl cruise canceled 10/20/2014

skyeman27

You might want to call cause I was told my 27 day cruise from la was cancelled completely

We, were in contact with our TA yesterday, she was a little upset ,because she wasn't aware of the Charter.It wasn't red flagged because we are doing 4 cruises combined. She will be in contact with Norwegian today, will update when we find out. We might be canceling the cruise also. :mad:

I was nervous booking the Pearl for this very reason but decided to give it a go anyway. We aren't sailing her until feb 2015...so it still can be chartered out from under us.

I'm willing to risk it.

I won't get air until about 4-5 months out. I think I will be safe at that point...if not, I am hoping NCL would make up for any loss (I also will have insurance)

Ironically, we booked a RCI Med cruise for 8/2014 and THAT was cancelled on us. Royal Caribbean went above and beyond in making up for cancelling our cruise.

January and February 2015 will likely see several cancellations as well. Sixthman uses those months for several cruises each year.

uh-oh

Oh well....I'll let you all know how I make out with my feb 2nd 2015 sailing. if NCL treats us as nicely as RCI did, I certainly won't be upset :D

I was nervous booking the Pearl for this very reason but decided to give it a go anyway. We aren't sailing her until feb 2015...so it still can be chartered out from under us.

I'm willing to risk it.

I won't get air until about 4-5 months out. I think I will be safe at that point...if not, I am hoping NCL would make up for any loss (I also will have insurance)

Ironically, we booked a RCI Med cruise for 8/2014 and THAT was cancelled on us. Royal Caribbean went above and beyond in making up for cancelling our cruise.

uh-oh

Oh well....I'll let you all know how I make out with my feb 2nd 2015 sailing. if NCL treats us as nicely as RCI did, I certainly won't be upset :D

Oh well, our wonderful 32 day's on the Pearl, are a thing of the past.

Trip cancelled :mad:

We might get $100.00 OBC if we book another cruise with NCL. :rolleyes: Yippee :mad:

And you know what is the most aggravating part? The sixth man cruise is only for five of the10 days. So those of us who booked la to Miami to Miami ( October 3 through 30) or a minimum of 27 to 32 days lost our cruise for a 5 day cruise. Why ncl would cancel the bookings on the back to back to back for a five day guarantee makes no business sense to me.

Rounder we can still book for Seattle through Bahamas but I am so aggravated I just might not book anything on ncl

And you know what is the most aggravating part? The sixth man cruise is only for five of the10 days. So those of us who booked la to Miami to Miami ( October 3 through 30) or a minimum of 27 to 32 days lost our cruise for a 5 day cruise. Why ncl would cancel the bookings on the back to back to back for a five day guarantee makes no business sense to me.

Rounder we can still book for Seattle through Bahamas but I am so aggravated I just might not book anything on ncl

Pax doing B2B2B's are in very small minority so cancelling those reservations to get the boat filled up with guaranteed fully paid sailing of music fans probably using bars quite much more than normal cruisers (money straght to NCL's pocket) makes perfect business sense to me. And as there is no 5 day cruise from Miami available (at least not yet), it's quite probable that they could already have another unannounced charter for the second half of the cancelled cruise.

And still, you only lost a part of your planned cruise so there would be at least 17 days that you could enjoy and as you stated, even more if you added another cruise to the beginning.

While I do understand that it isn't that nice to have to re-plan things, this is business as normal and you were informed in plenty of time - there have been incidents where the cancellation has came only about six months before and that could pose some serious problems if people were not prepared that this could happen (like it can - on every major cruise line).

Pax doing B2B2B's are in very small minority so cancelling those reservations to get the boat filled up with guaranteed fully paid sailing of music fans probably using bars quite much more than normal cruisers (money straght to NCL's pocket) makes perfect business sense to me. And as there is no 5 day cruise from Miami available (at least not yet), it's quite probable that they could already have another unannounced charter for the second half of the cancelled cruise.

While I do understand that it isn't that nice to have to re-plan things, this is business as normal and you were informed in plenty of time - there have been incidents where the cancellation has came only about six months before and that could pose some serious problems if people were not prepared that this could happen (like it can - on every major cruise line).

I agree with you that NCL probably make a lots of money on the specific cruise but I can't agree that it makes perfect business sence. The single cruise might be economical good for NCL but to kick out already booked passengers is not perfect business sence, I think. To kick out booked passengers can not be perfect business sence. Will they ever again book a cruise after that? Some probably will but lots of people will never book a cruise again after being kicked out!

Even if every major cruise line does it, I don't think that it's okay to do it.

They should not be allowed to charter out a ship when other passengers already have booked a cruise on the ship.

And still, you only lost a part of your planned cruise so there would be at least 17 days that you could enjoy and as you stated, even more if you added another cruise to the beginning.

As I understand it, the whole cruise was cancelled. (So they had booked a 27 day cruise but were kicked out because the ship is now chartered for 5 days.)

Even if every major cruise line does it, I don't think that it's okay to do it.

They should not be allowed to charter out a ship when other passengers already have booked a cruise on the ship.

Then you must agree that once a passenger is booked, they shouldn't be allowed to cancel either for any other reason than medical (comparable to ship being out of service). ;) It's a two-way street and while cruise line cancellations do happen, they are still very rare occasions.

It's all in the contract that every passenger must accept. If somebody thinks that they are entitled to something more than they have agreed to according to the contract, then I'm sorry to say, it's that individual passengers personal problem. In today's society too many people unreasonably think that they are "entitled" to a lot of things and make a lot of noise about it so that in some cases they actually get what they weren't originally even supposed to.

As I understand it, the whole cruise was cancelled. (So they had booked a 27 day cruise but were kicked out because the ship is now chartered for 5 days.)

If the cruise was booked as one 27 night cruise, then obiviously yes, that combo must be cancelled but it doesn't prevent booking the first 14+3 nights, those two legs are not affected by the cancellation of the third leg in any way.

Sorry to hear that, I hope everyone affected finds a way to make things work. That happened to us a few years back when the RCCL cruise from Galveston we were planning on for spring break was chartered. We had no flexibility though, because of school, and they wouldn't let us move it more than a few weeks, so we just had to cancel altogether. But, we did end up booking the Norwegian Spirit out of NOLA, so it all worked out. ;)

I was booked on this cruise too, had to change to the 11-10-14 sail date. No upgrade, as we got our same cabin number. The country music group Alabama chartered the ship for 4 nights starting the 24th I think. Real mad, because this was public knowledge with an article I found in USA Today dated last January, BEFORE we booked the cruise. I'm sure they have to wait & be sure the chartered cruise is booked full enough before canceling us, but 6 months later for notification?? Luckily, our travel insurance gave us a one time exception & changed our travel dates on our policy.

Then you must agree that once a passenger is booked, they shouldn't be allowed to cancel either for any other reason than medical (comparable to ship being out of service). ;) It's a two-way street and while cruise line cancellations do happen, they are still very rare occasions.

I really can't think that's the same thing.

Passengers booked by NCL in Germany aren't allowed to cancel without loosing the deposit so maybe we can say that once a passenger is booked they aren't allowed to cancel! For you and me as Europeans, maybe it should be a good thing if it was impossible to cancel for any other reason than medical. I really can't think of any situation, other than medical, when I should cancel a booked cruise.

I think that once they have started to sell cruises on a specific cruise, they should not be allowed to charter the ship out and cancel the cruise.

If the cruise was booked as one 27 night cruise, then obiviously yes, that combo must be cancelled but it doesn't prevent booking the first 14+3 nights, those two legs are not affected by the cancellation of the third leg in any way.

Those two legs are defenitely affected by the cancellation because it's not possible to make one long cruise anymore.

Passengers booked by NCL in Germany aren't allowed to cancel without loosing the deposit so maybe we can say that once a passenger is booked they aren't allowed to cancel!

I don't actually know about that, I booked my first NCL cruise (with air and hotel) in 2005 through a local (Finnish) TA, but ultimately had to cancel. I don't know what routes they did use to book the cruise, but I got full refund for my deposit that I had paid to the TA.

Fast forward few years when I finally got on a cruise, I booked it directly from US in dollars because it was way cheaper than booking in euros from EU. Also in US deposit is refundable until final payment (for non-speciality suites 60 or 75 days before).

I don't actually know about that, I booked my first NCL cruise (with air and hotel) in 2005 through a local (Finnish) TA, but ultimately had to cancel. I don't know what routes they did use to book the cruise, but I got full refund for my deposit that I had paid to the TA.

My local TA book cruises with NCL from NCL in Germany and the deposit is not refundalbe if cancelling the cruise. Maybe your Finnish TA book it some other way.

Just been formed by my TA that the Pearl cruise on Oct. 20, 2014 has been canceled because it has been chartered out...

this can always happen, especially when you book so far out. I am sure something else will fit your needs, as long as you have enough warning.

• 3 months later...
Just been formed by my TA that the Pearl cruise on Oct. 20, 2014 has been canceled because it has been chartered out...

Re booked the Oct 20 2014 to Nov 10 2014. Now the Nov 10 cruise has been canceled by NCL. Same cruise canceled twice by NCL. Does NCL really want me to sail with them???

Re booked the Oct 20 2014 to Nov 10 2014. Now the Nov 10 cruise has been canceled by NCL. Same cruise canceled twice by NCL. Does NCL really want me to sail with them???

Same here. We were Oct 20th too & rebooked. We are not rebooking. We picked this cruise for the itinerary. Do not think we'll be booking Norwegian again. We have only done one other cruise with them, just did the Dawn to Bermuda this month. Never had this issue with RCI, or Carnival. They just lost two customers.

Do not think we'll be booking Norwegian again. We have only done one other cruise with them, just did the Dawn to Bermuda this month. Never had this issue with RCI, or Carnival. They just lost two customers.

Unfortunately the fact that you've not had the issue on other cruise lines doesn't mean they don't do this just as well - all big cruise lines charter out their ships if somebody wants to charter one from them.

Unfortunately the fact that you've not had the issue on other cruise lines doesn't mean they don't do this just as well - all big cruise lines charter out their ships if somebody wants to charter one from them.

Please don't muddy the waters with truth and reason!! The info on checking on sixth man and other charters is out there for everyone.

And it's not all of the NCL ships - it's concentrated on the Pearl. Personally, I think NCL should just hold back on the Pearl itineraries until charter dates are set, but that's me. It would decrease this issue and it's only one ship affected.

Any info on who chartered it and if tickets for that charter would be available? I was looking at booking that cruise or the following.

This cruise has been chartered by Damion Marley for the Welcome to Jamrock Reggae Cruise! I'm booked for my first ever cruise...can't wait ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please don't muddy the waters with truth and reason!! The info on checking on sixth man and other charters is out there for everyone.

Where? When NCL canceled my Oct 20 I replaced it with a Nov 10 cruise which was canceled yesterday. Researched the Nov 10 to see if it was also chartered by Sixthman (went to their web site) or anyone else. The waters are very muddy. NCL should not list any cruise for booking that has been charted. Asked NCL was a good date and if was chartered befor rebooking. Reply was it was good to go and not chartered. Wrong...Again, Where? If the ultimate authority being NCL doesn't know, who would? Very muddy waters indeed...

Archived