3 ports and 4 days in Peru...what to do?

sansterre

DH and I just signed up for a S.A. cruise. We are scheduled to spend one day in Salaverry, 2 days (overnight) in Callao, and one day in General San Martin. We would consider doing Machu Pichu while in Callao but think that might be too much. Are there other things to do in Callao and the other ports? All suggestions appreciated - thanks!

When we were in Callao/Lima overnight in March, we took the easy approach of booking ship's tours. (It is several miles from the port of Callao to downtown Lima -- heavily urbanized all the way.)

The first afternoon we went to Lima with stops at the San Francisco Monastery, Cathedral, and Plaza Mayor, followed a drive to Miraflores with stops at the Parque del Amor and late-afternoon snack at Casa Garcia mansion. An excellent tour, in our view. The next morning we went to the Larco Herrera Museum (very good) & the Indian Market (colourful and apparently of considerable interest to the shoppers amongst our group). Whether this would fit your interests, only you could say. However, the 2 tours together provided an interesting (and easy-to-arrange) introduction to the huge city of Lima.

By the way, despite the warnings about "no cameras allowed" inside the Larco Herrera Museum, we were allowed to take photos there, but no flash.

John

Edited by J-D

We also took two tours offered by the ship. Callao is a port city where one should not hang out.

One tour was similar to what J-D describes (Plaza Mayor etc.) Plaza Mayor is a beautiful sight to behold after the long bus ride through not so nice neighborhoods. It is definitely the city highlight together with the Miraflores coastline. The second tour was 'market to table', excellent!

You cannot go to Machu Pichu in two days. Our HAL ship offered a tour that left early in the morning in Callao and those passengers rejoined us in Salavery/Trujillo. However, there are very interesting pre-Inka ruins near Trujillo. I have seen that area included in Peru tours offered by American companies.

We are about to book a land tour for Machu Pichu and Lake Titicaca.

Edited by Floridiana

• 1 year later...
Peru is great. I suggest that you take a private tour with Monica tours.

http://www.monicatoursperu.com

Also, consider going to the Pachacamac Temple Ruins as well as the sites in central Lima.

Hi, we are looking at doing a private tour to Machu Picchu on our cruise next year. What has been your experience with Monica Tours? I would appreciate any feedback. Thank you.... I can supply an email address if that is better.

Regards Sharon

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We over-nighted in Callao too. We used the same private tour company for both tours. The first day we went to the ruins of Pachacamac and to Miro Flores. The second day we toured Lima and the Gold Museum. They were excellent; a father and son who had spent many years in Miami, so English was superb.

We didn't stop at Salavery. In San Martin we took the Princess bus to the city and walked around on our own, took the bus back.

I don't think Machu Pichu is doable in the time frame of the stop in Callao.

Edited by Nebr.cruiser

port to lima, to airport, fly to cusco, train or drive down to sacred valley(3hr or more), train from Ollytambro to aguas callientas(base of MP) 2hr. then bus ride from town to MP 45 min, min 3 hr @ MP. NOW reverse process!!:eek:

don't forget to breathe...

We over-nighted in Callao too. We used the same private tour company for both tours. The first day we went to the ruins of Pachacamac and to Miro Flores. The second day we toured Lima and the Gold Museum. They were excellent; a father and son who had spent many years in Miami, so English was superb.

We didn't stop at Salavery. In San Martin we took the Princess bus to the city and walked around on our own, took the bus back.

I don't think Machu Pichu is doable in the time frame of the stop in Callao.

What is the name of the tour company you used? How do you contact them?

What is the name of the tour company you used? How do you contact them?

It was called Lima Daily Tours. Price for the two day tour was $110 pp and included pick-up and drop-off at the port, tickets, transportation and a bilingual guide. The day we were there it was the father and son; not sure if that is normal or not. They also do a lot of airport transfers, etc.

This could have been a private tour, but we did have two other couples from our roll call. You can pick and choose what you want to do, with each thing priced differently. For instance, we choose not to go back into town for the fountain show, which would have been extra.

At this port you ride a bus from the ship to the port entrance; that is where we met our guide/driver. They have a website, I believe it is limadailytours.com. I contacted them and made arrangements via email.

Edited by Nebr.cruiser

One of the best tours I have taken anywhere was a private tour with a young man by the name of Aaron Leyton in Callao/Lima. You can see my review here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=42288448#post42288448

What set this one apart from all the others was the highly personalized experience including an authentic Peruvian meal in his own home. Take a look at the photos (attached).

DSCN1537.jpg.2dc425555bd5aa1770477b20de9af255.jpg

DSCN1539.jpg.e3a0a641ab2c3b0e04a976f5f09943e4.jpg

DSCN1544.jpg.33ad66b91a60cbae05c392de29d8817b.jpg

We just returned from several days in Lima with another couple.

Had a lovely evening tour with Lima Gourmet Co. They take you to three upscale restaurants where you learn to make a Pisco Sour and taste some of the typical foods. It was very nice.

Also check out Haku tours. Quite reasonably priced. We chose two of their tours and both were well done. The Shanty town tour was different in that you really get to see how 80 percent of the people live in Lima, a city of about 10 million. Quite a comparison to our gourmet tour.