Decor of Regent ships

AWED23

I have read criticisms on the boards of the decor aboard Regent's ships from being drab to too plain versus Crystal,Silver Seas etc...I am aware that a lot (Most?) people are not fans of Art Deco or necessarily recognize it when they see it...We happen to be Art Deco fans and really enjoy that aspect of Regent's ships. Of the three ships, Mariner is the very best example, take a new look at the entrance hall to the observation lounge next time aboard. See the the large round porthole like windows Pure Art Deco...Then the Observation lounge itself with it's neon lighting and all of the various touches that Erte himself would have been proud of...Really look around Compass Rose from the entry with the inlaid compass rose in the floor to the wall sconces and chandeliers inside the dining room itself....And the showroom....Again it is as though Erte had designed it's decor..The Atrium and elevators ably carry the theme through to a logical conclusion and for me and my wife Mariner remains the prettiest ship at sea. Voyager and Navigator close behind but only Mariner (Built in France) is so intensely and completely "Art Deco"...Are there others who view it similar to me or perhaps care to give us their opinions of ship board decors.?...Any Ship, any line....:)

I have been on Marina multiple times and also Regatta. Marina is a very nice vessel and our Oceania Suite very sumptuous. But Marina is somewhat of an olio in terms of both art work and overall interior design as I view it. For some I am sure it is a knock-out but for me the Mariner is such a complete example of Erte Art Deco that I think that PCH could, in fact, conduct walk through tours on sea days pointing out the features that make it so. Then again I may be the only person in awe of this ship's interior design. The Marina suites are the most perfect accommodations for us we have found so far. We almost never use room service so we have no need or use for a larger cabin.. Holland America is another line that really makes an effort to tie their interior designs together, Their Van Gogh show rooms are Starry Night to perfection.......just sayin..

I love the simplicity of the Regent ships - I'm not sure I focused in on the Art Deco aspect of it but will bow to someone clearly more knowledgeable than I.

I've always felt the ships had clean elegance which is not common on other high end lines.

Thanks for pointing this out!

Peggy

I agree that the HAL ship I was on - the Amsterdam was fabulously appointed from a decor viewpoint. I liked the darker rich paneled woods and beautiful fabrics. The Mariner is my favorite ship on Regent. I agree with the details on the ship - but they are not the same on Mariner and on Navigator sorely lacking.

The decor in the cabins is just plain in my opinion. I love rich woods, beautiful art. On the R Ships they have mostly the stuff that is from the auction in the halls and not to my taste. I do understand the need for "contract" art on a venue like a hotel or ship where great quantities of it are needed. Framing and prints are not cheap if they are quality.

Regent replaced most of the auction artwork in the halls a couple of years ago. There is a small amount still there but it is apparent that it will be part of an auction. Most of the artwork on Regent was purchased for the ships and in many ways reminds me of the art on the Riviera.

I love the simplicity of the Regent ships - I'm not sure I focused in on the Art Deco aspect of it but will bow to someone clearly more knowledgeable than I.

I've always felt the ships had clean elegance which is not common on other high end lines.

Thanks for pointing this out!

Peggy

...I'll bet the next time you board Mariner and go to the observation lounge for drinks you will look at the big round porthole like windows in the entry hall and then as you enter your eyes will settle on the pink, blue and red neon highlighting the bar...betcha a nickel.....

I agree that the HAL ship I was on - the Amsterdam was fabulously appointed from a decor viewpoint. I liked the darker rich paneled woods and beautiful fabrics. The Mariner is my favorite ship on Regent. I agree with the details on the ship - but they are not the same on Mariner and on Navigator sorely lacking.

The decor in the cabins is just plain in my opinion. I love rich woods, beautiful art. On the R Ships they have mostly the stuff that is from the auction in the halls and not to my taste. I do understand the need for "contract" art on a venue like a hotel or ship where great quantities of it are needed. Framing and prints are not cheap if they are quality.

....ChatKat, You hit the nail on the head as regards to the cabin interiors....The Mariner was the only one of the Regent ships built in France and that quite possibly accounts for the interior design being carried out further than on Voyager or Navigator..The Regatta, when we were on it in 2009, made me comment to my wife that they may have been trying for Roccoco but it seemed to me they wound up with early French Bordello...Oceanias Marina and Riviera, I feel are an entirely different story. Really nice ships but more of Cruise Ship Modern....If there is such a thing....

Both Regatta and Nautica are lovely ships - I love the clubby feeling of the public spaces - intimate and country club like.
....Any chance that you were aboard either ship while Carlo Guineti was aboard as GM ?....We are booked on the Nautica for our 60th anniversary next July (2014)....

....Any chance that you were aboard either ship while Carlo Guineti was aboard as GM ?....We are booked on the Nautica for our 60th anniversary next July (2014)....

I don't recall. I did not spend time with the officers on those cruises. Too port intensive.

Awed, Ditto! We're at 47 and hope to make it to your 60:)
...I have a secret that I will share, after our 40th, I put her on annual options.......Please do not tell her....:cool:

and lots of classic wood. We also loved the club-like feeling. We had a Vista Suite and honestly the bathtub with a shower over is really dangerous. My husband had to help me in and out as the sides are so high. I have been trying to find out if them have refurbished either of the three R class ships and taken out that dangerous tub?

Anyway, I love the Oceania ships décor. It makes you feel warm and fuzzy.

I agree that the Riviera is quite Art Decco. That is something I personally love.

Archived