private car access to Civitavecchia port

jcrandle

A few years ago DW and I drove a rental car to Civitavecchia to board our cruise. We were allowed to drive to the ship, drop our checked luggage, and then exit to return our rental car. From there it was an easy walk back to the port shuttle with our carry-on luggage. I wonder if private cars are still allowed to drop off luggage at the port? Does anyone know if that is still allowed?

A few years ago DW and I drove a rental car to Civitavecchia to board our cruise. We were allowed to drive to the ship, drop our checked luggage, and then exit to return our rental car. From there it was an easy walk back to the port shuttle with our carry-on luggage. I wonder if private cars are still allowed to drop off luggage at the port? Does anyone know if that is still allowed?

Nope, they wont let you to do that for security reason.

We sailed from Civitavecchia in October and again in December, and left our car with a local car-parking company. They took us into the port in a small people carrier, but had to leave us at the terminal building, where we got the shuttle. The driver explained that only certain cars are allowed into the areas near the ships now.

We watched in horror as a driver of a Mercedes Benz in front of our private transfer almost got into a fight with the security at the gate. He was definitely not allowed in and got very upset. He blocked the entry way for quite a while and finally came to his senses and turned his car around. That was last November, not sure if it is still the case.

Archived