Live from the Maasdam NE/C

tomc

I remember reading in sail7seas review that she mentioned the farewell dinner the first week was early in the cruise.

For the Boston to Montreal itinerary (our first week aboard), Farewell Dinner was on Wednesday, the day we were leavingt PEI.

For our second week aboard, (Montreal to Boston), Farewell Dinner was Thursday, the day we left Halifax.

I'm not Lisa but the answer is that Maasdam is at sea today.

She was supposed to be doing the scenic cruising of Saguenay River, fjord and the beautiful statue but it was cancelled due to the engine problems.

We were lucky to do the scenic cruising on our Boston to Montreal cruise and enjoyed it a lot but it was cancelled for our return cruise.

Laffnvegas, which port is the Maasdam in today?

rocks

I just looked it up and it looks like they are in Saguenay Fjord which I think is kind of like a Sea Day (someone correct me if I am wrong) so it does seem strange that he had the Formal night last night but maybe Sail can answer she did this same route 2 weeks ago. Tomorrow should be Quebec City, Quebec, and tomorrow Montreal. Then on the way back to Boston Sunday should be Quebec City again, Monday the same as today, Wednesday Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada, Thursday Halifax, Nova Scotia and Friday is Bar Harbor, Maine. Then Saturday is Boston to come pick me and DH up:D

I'm not Lisa but the answer is that Maasdam is at sea today.

She was supposed to be doing the scenic cruising of Saguaney River, fjord and the beautiful statue but it was cancelled due to the engine problems.

We were lucky to do the scenic cruising on our Boston to Montreal cruise and enjoyed it a lot but it was cancelled for our return cruise.

Sail, I would of thought they would of had the final Formal for this leg of the cruise tonight since today was a sea day. Unless they wanted to keep the Formal Nights the same for the next three weeks. I am guessing my week the last Formal night will also be Wednesday.

I just looked it up and it looks like they are in Saguenay Fjord which I think is kind of like a Sea Day (someone correct me if I am wrong) so it does seem strange that he had the Formal night last night but maybe Sail can answer she did this same route 2 weeks ago. Tomorrow should be Quebec City, Quebec, and tomorrow Montreal. Then on the way back to Boston Sunday should be Quebec City again, Monday the same as today, Wednesday Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada, Thursday Halifax, Nova Scotia and Friday is Bar Harbor, Maine. Then Saturday is Boston to come pick me and DH up:D

As I noted above, we also had formal night on Wednesday. Perhaps the reason is that the viewing of the fjord and the statue and commentary by the Naturalist that boarded the ship to speak with us throughout the sailing in Saguenay continued into late in the afternoon. Perhaps they did not want people with the earliest seating to be rushing around to dress and to and miss the beautiful scenery.

Seeing as they knew at the beginning of the cruise that the Saguenay was cancelled, I'm surprised they did not make tonight the formal night. Perhaps they just didn't think of it in time or the first day's program was already printed. That daily program shows the suggested dress for the entire cruise. It may have confused some people if they changed it after they had already distributed the 'dress for the week' listing.

[sorry Lisa.....I had already posted the above message before I saw your's. Montreal to Boston, the second formal night was Thursday.

]

Darned if I know. I just get up, eat three meals, lay around the rest of the time. If we're in port, I go ashore; if not, I watch the water for whales and other wildlife. I don't even know what day it is, much less care.

We were supposed to look at the Fjord showroom today, but we're knotting along at 17 heading for Q City instead. Cap'n Andy, who leaves the Cotton Blossom there for vacation, told us about the crankshaft problems due to the bearing sort of blowing up and scratching the shaft. "I can say two things about it, but it's not very polite." pause; laughter. "We have to polish the crankshaft by just a few millimeters; it's a 24 hour a day job, done with a machine. It won't be done by the end of this cruise and probably not by the end of the next cruise" (when we dock in Boston).

We've seen some whales in the St Lawrence River and were advised to keep our eyes open for more.

The Lido manager looks an awful lot like a younger Yul Brynner, but I'm not about to bring it up to him.

The Indonesian crew show was last night; I think I mentioned it already.

Mariners' Party was today. Oddly enough, the highest award they had was the 100-day medallion and there were none to give out. Just four or five of us currently holding it who were called to the stage. That may have been due to the 500 women on the religious conference tour who may not have cruised before, or not enough times to merit a medal.

Remember that guy who looked, and acted, like an FBI or Secret Service guy with the earpiece? Well, he has nothing to do with security. He's one of the coordinators with the women's religious conference. Maybe that's how Jesus finds out all about us -- people like him feeding info and getting instructions direct from the All High on his earpiece.

This post came to you live from the Maasdam

where newbies ask, "What time do we see the whales?"

This post came to you live from the Maasdam

where newbies ask, "What time do we see the whales?"

Well......What time DO we see the Whales?:D

Actually we have been quite fortunate to always see whales they were even early for us last year when we were in Cabo on the Ryndam and saw plenty in Alaska. The only place we saw no whales was Caribbean:)

Sure hope we get to see whales on our short 7 dayer.

Have they indicated whether or not the Fjord showroom will be open for viewing on the trip from Montreal to Boston?

We've been enjoying downtown Montreal for the past couple of days. Took a gray line tour of the city yesterday, and a short cruise along the St. Lawrence today. The city is nice, the weather is hot, and the people are very friendly. Tomorrow is Canada Day, and we're planning to catch the parade featuring the Mounties and the Pipe and Drum Corp.

Just a couple more days until we join you on your return trip to Boston... Keep us posted on the engine status. Hopefully no more bearings will blow!

Thanks for the great posts!

Those Joining Me On Saturday: During the day, I wear golf shirt with a "Larry King" style microphone on them. At night, I wear a jacket and tie; can be found often in the Lido reading by a window. I am frightfully ordinary in person.

KK: Yeah, just across the river, in fact. Unfortunately, he's going to be away this weekend, but will catch up to me when he is in the States in a little while.

Orion: They will not have the Fjord showroom open on the down trip, due to continuing work being done on the crankshaft. Almost certainly not, but you never know; miracles happen. I mean, sadistic cooks have been using Miracle Whip for years.

A Conversation on the Back Deck:

pax: Been busy this week?

tomc: ?? no ??

pax: Anyone been in to see you?

tomc: ?? no ??

pax: So you've had the week to yourself?

tomc: That's the whole idea of a cruise.

pax: Well, you are the ship's doctor, right?

tomc: No; just another passenger.

pax: Oh, I'm sorry; I thought you were the doctor.

tomc to self: (Let me check your prostate with a gloved finger or two.)

And now, here's the news...

We're pretty much parked in the river right now. The ships do this when they would ordinarily reach Quebec City before they need to be there. Docking early costs $$ (that's French for moolah) and hanging out in the river miles downstream is free, as there are no parking meters out here. We are keeping headway, just about, but really going practically nowhere. If we were salmon going upstream to spawn ... well, let's forget what I was going to say. Why upset anybody?

We've seen a handful of whales. That's figurative, of course. Either they'd be mighty small whales or it would be a mighty large hand. But you know what I mean. A few here, a few there. Some porpoises or dolphins at a distance.

There is no breakfast pastry cart, in case I didn't mention it before. The dining room tables and chairs seem to be closer together and there is not enough room to fit it. We get a mixture of things on our table, plus a pastry guy comes around with another supply.

This post has come to you live from the Maasdam

where the newly-renamed RuthC ChocExtrav is a big hit.

Tom,

Like many others, I'm enjoying your cruise updates. I must check in each evening. Thanks for all the laughs.

Who knew a sea cruise from Boston to Montreal could be packed with all the elements of a hit TV show! Wow--inspiring women, vibrations, engines that went "kaflooy", Flounder-the-waiter, whales sightings, Ann of Green Gables, a surprise farewell celebration, a Yul Brynner look alike and a mysterious undercover inspirational coordinator! I love it. Thanks so much for sharing with us.:)

Can't wait for the next posting.

Gee, what if a Star Trek convention gets on in Montreal ??:rolleyes:

Tom,

What a great sense of humour you have. I too have been loving your daily episodes, it is far, far better than any show on T.V.

I just wish we were on board whilst you are there to meet you in person.

Jennie

Tom

We also have been enjoying your very clever and funny posts. How about coming along next July 1 from Boston?

Esther

Take a number, Esther, Tom already has 500 "inspired" women to "contend" with. (I refrained from saying "handle".)

Archived