Whittier to Seward and back?

A.Emgee

I couldn't find much information on these forums about traveling to Seward from Whittier as a day trip. Does anybody have any comments or suggestions?

We are on back to back cruises with a stop in Whittier for turnaround day. Last year we did the same itinerary and from Whittier went to the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center, had lunch in Anchorage and leisurely strolled to the Anchorage Market and Festival before returning back to Whittier (last year we were there on a Saturday, but this year will be a Wednesday).

I plan to take the 10:00am tunnel out of Whittier and return on the 6:30pm. Would it be cutting it too close to go to Seward? Is the Alaska SeaLife Center and whatever I can see in Seward worth the four hour roundtrip commute? Where does one gas up when coming from Seward - double back to Girdwood or just fill up at the only expensive gas station in Whittier?

Thanks for any input!

Wow I too would never consider that option. Too much can go wrong and you miss your cruise. Accidents to happen (relatively often) on the Seward Highway. One accident or one long construction delay and you will be using your Whittier car rental as a one-way to get to Anchorage then fly to meet up with your cruise. Bad idea!

It's about a 2 hr drive. Do you need to be on board by 8pm?

If so, I suggest an earlier start and earlier return, 8am/9am and 5:30pm so you have more of a cushion in case of traffic problems. This only gives you a couple of hours in Seward ... maybe have lunch, wander around the harbor or visit Exit Glacier, but I assume you're doing this primarily for the scenic drive.

The Seward Hwy is a 2-lane road so if there is construction or an accident, the road can be shut down entirely or only one lane open at a time.

Yes, we have to be on board no later than 8:00pm (preferably earlier, obviously) as sailaway is 8:30pm. Avis doesn't open until 8:00am so the earliest outbound tunnel would be 9:00am.

8:00-8:30am - rent at Avis

9:00am - outbound tunnel

11:30am - arrive in Seward

3:00pm - depart Seward

5:30pm - inbound tunnel (one hour buffer before 6:30pm tunnel)

Does that work?

Last year to Anchorage we were on the 10:00am outbound tunnel, left Anchorage at 3:00pm and had plenty of time to spare for the 5:30pm tunnel (we probably could have made the 4:30pm tunnel, but elected to go back into the Alaska Wildlife Center again to view the animals). We went through the tunnel at the same time as the Princess train transfer. On the outbound journey there was indeed a serious accident near Girdwood which caused a 15 minute delay.

Yes, we have to be on board no later than 8:00pm (preferably earlier, obviously) as sailaway is 8:30pm. Avis doesn't open until 8:00am so the earliest outbound tunnel would be 9:00am.

8:00-8:30am - rent at Avis

9:00am - outbound tunnel

11:30am - arrive in Seward

3:00pm - depart Seward

5:30pm - inbound tunnel (one hour buffer before 6:30pm tunnel)

Does that work?

Last year to Anchorage we were on the 10:00am outbound tunnel, left Anchorage at 3:00pm and had plenty of time to spare for the 5:30pm tunnel (we probably could have made the 4:30pm tunnel, but elected to go back into the Alaska Wildlife Center again to view the animals). We went through the tunnel at the same time as the Princess train transfer. On the outbound journey there was indeed a serious accident near Girdwood which caused a 15 minute delay.

Well,that could work for you-depending on the day you are traveling. If it is during the week, you WILL run into construction. Around Turnagain pass they are widening the road there and the delays are not too bad. Beyond that, they are doing some more work that involves cutting the road down to one lane for a short stretch. That involves stopping and waiting for a while -up to 30 minutes-depending on traffic. After the turnoff to Kenai, I can't say, but I do know there is more construction.

Here is the "navigator" that gives info for all road construction statewide:

http://www.alaskanavigator.org

Note that on weekend and holidays construction is usually shut down and delays are less of a problem.

I suggest taking a Prince William Sound tour out of Whittier. Much better glacier viewing than what you see from the cruise ship and an good chance you will see some marine wildlife.

Personally, I would not drive to Seward on a turnaround day, but that is me.

I plan to take the 10:00am tunnel out of Whittier and return on the 6:30pm. Would it be cutting it too close to go to Seward? Is the Alaska SeaLife Center and whatever I can see in Seward worth the four hour roundtrip commute? Where does one gas up when coming from Seward - double back to Girdwood or just fill up at the only expensive gas station in Whittier?

You could make it but it wouldn’t be the worth the risk for me due to the potential construction/accident delays. A Prince William Sound day cruise from Whittier is exceptional. Portage Glacier and the Begich Boggs Visitor Center are close to Whittier and driving up to Girdwood and a ride up the tram for lunch if the weather is decent is good. There is gas in Whittier for about $4.60/gallon.

Well,that could work for you-depending on the day you are traveling. If it is during the week, you WILL run into construction. Around Turnagain pass they are widening the road there and the delays are not too bad. Beyond that, they are doing some more work that involves cutting the road down to one lane for a short stretch. That involves stopping and waiting for a while -up to 30 minutes-depending on traffic. After the turnoff to Kenai, I can't say, but I do know there is more construction.

Here is the "navigator" that gives info for all road construction statewide:

http://www.alaskanavigator.org

Note that on weekend and holidays construction is usually shut down and delays are less of a problem.

There's ongoing construction at Trail Lake about 30 minutes north of Seward that can slow you down for a half hour.

With your revised schedule, there's a 99% chance you'll catch the 5:30pm tunnel opening but if you don't, you still have the 6:30 and 7:30 openings as backup. While I understand that traffic can be problematic, you have a good cushion built in with this schedule.

If Seward is a priority, I'd sure go for it. But it's YOUR comfort zone so the decision is all yours. Have a great trip, whatever you decide!

I couldn't find much information on these forums about traveling to Seward from Whittier as a day trip. Does anybody have any comments or suggestions?

We are on back to back cruises with a stop in Whittier for turnaround day. Last year we did the same itinerary and from Whittier went to the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center, had lunch in Anchorage and leisurely strolled to the Anchorage Market and Festival before returning back to Whittier (last year we were there on a Saturday, but this year will be a Wednesday).

Thanks for any input!

FYI - gas in Seward is running $4.32 a gallon and over $5.00 in Whittier. The nearest gas station is indeed in Girdwood.

Just curious - why didn't you book a back-to-back through Seward? Would certainly have made things easier to do.

Just curious - why didn't you book a back-to-back through Seward? Would certainly have made things easier to do.

I wasn't planning on returning to Alaska so soon, but couldn't resist the fares with Princess for B2B. They are currently at $449pp (+$220 taxes) for an inside cabin, of which I think $375 is port charges, so the commissionable fare is only $74. Take away 14% for the travel agent and the cruise line's revenue is only about $4.50/day. I can eat that much in scones! Gratuities are covered by the onboard credit (Future Cruise Credit and Carnival Shareholder Benefit).

If you buy either a Northern Lights coupon book ($55) or a Toursaver coupon book ($99) there is a coupon for 2 for 1 Major Marine tours in Whittier. Also a grayline tour at Portage Glacier.

Or you might be able to do the "Whistle Stop" train ride from Whittier to Sterling (also a 2 for 1 coupon in books).

If you really want to hit the road, you might be able to go to Girdwood and taking the tram to the top of the resort there.

Be aware that the Northern Lights book is sold out, but you may be able to still get one that has most coupons (including these) at a reduced rate if you contact the publisher.

I wasn't planning on returning to Alaska so soon, but couldn't resist the fares with Princess for B2B. They are currently at $449pp (+$220 taxes) for an inside cabin, of which I think $375 is port charges, so the commissionable fare is only $74. Take away 14% for the travel agent and the cruise line's revenue is only about $4.50/day. I can eat that much in scones! Gratuities are covered by the onboard credit (Future Cruise Credit and Carnival Shareholder Benefit).

Given the transit time from Whittier to Seward and allowing for tunnel openings and road construction, you really don't give yourself much time to actually see the town.

As others have stated, a Prince William Sound day cruise would be an excellent use of your time. Either 26 Glaciers or Major Marine would be great; I'd highly recommend the longest trip you can take.

Oh, Barnes and Noble in Anchorage still has the Northern Lights Coupon books.

Which weeks are you seeing this price? Is this price for one week or two?

Which weeks are you seeing this price? Is this price for one week or two?

2 weeks(!!!) August 17-31 on Diamond Princess. This is only for past passengers and came in an email from Princess. Offer expires July 25, 2013. Reference promo code: UE and campaign code PE3MD068.

Given the transit time from Whittier to Seward and allowing for tunnel openings and road construction, you really don't give yourself much time to actually see the town.

As others have stated, a Prince William Sound day cruise would be an excellent use of your time. Either 26 Glaciers or Major Marine would be great; I'd highly recommend the longest trip you can take.

Oh, Barnes and Noble in Anchorage still has the Northern Lights Coupon books.

On the other hand, the drive for Whittier to Seward is a pleasant, scenic drive. The city of Seward is not going to be covered in depth, but they can see the Sealife center and have lunch before driving back.

I would argue that the drive is not a waste of time as compared to a glacier cruise. IMHO.

I have driven from Anchorage to Seward several times just for the heck of it. Had lunch in Seward and toured a museum or two and driven back. I have never thought the drive is a waste of time.

As long as they keep their schedule in mind and are willing to be patient at any construction delays, it will be a nice trip.

2 weeks(!!!) August 17-31 on Diamond Princess. This is only for past passengers and came in an email from Princess. Offer expires July 25, 2013. Reference promo code: UE and campaign code PE3MD068.

Wow, an amazing deal!!! I am not a past passenger, but for those who can get that deal, you are very lucky. A price like that for two weeks would be enough to get me back to Alaska this year. I did check and insides are sold out. Have a great cruise!!!

You are underestimating some time here. I don't find this drive, especially "scenic" compared to the arm.

A suggestion, would be for you to be AT the Harbor Store before 8am, and if you get lucky with some fast service, you "may" make it out the tunnel. (which I have done).

I would not be going to Seward, however, for just the Sealife Center. You need to allow, at least a couple hour leeway for the drive back. I have personally been stuck in construction lines of over an hour, waiting for pilot cars. One time on the Sterling, I actually turned around, due to up to a 2 hour delay due to blasting. You need to not cut your times too close.

With the gas, if I were needing it, I would top off the tank in Seward, then just pay for the rest in Whittier, if short on time. I would NOT be cutting into my touring time, backtracking.

You are underestimating some time here. I don't find this drive, especially "scenic" compared to the arm.

A suggestion, would be for you to be AT the Harbor Store before 8am, and if you get lucky with some fast service, you "may" make it out the tunnel. (which I have done).

I would not be going to Seward, however, for just the Sealife Center. You need to allow, at least a couple hour leeway for the drive back. I have personally been stuck in construction lines of over an hour, waiting for pilot cars. One time on the Sterling, I actually turned around, due to up to a 2 hour delay due to blasting. You need to not cut your times too close.

With the gas, if I were needing it, I would top off the tank in Seward, then just pay for the rest in Whittier, if short on time. I would NOT be cutting into my touring time, backtracking.

While I generally agree with your assessment of this proposed trip, I disagree with your view that the drive is not that scenic. First there is the drive through the mountains. Then there are the trail lakes and the Kenai Lake. Finally, there is the snow river and its gravel shoals and Seward at the end.

For me it i s a great drive-especially since you don;t have to drive through Cooper Landing....now that is a bore!

Thanks to everybody for your thoughtful insights and suggestions! I just returned from our day out of Whittier and wanted to post our experience for others’ future reference. First off, we had absolutely gorgeous weather! It was sunny and hot with temperatures in Seward reaching 20°C (68°F)! I got off the ship at 8:20am and leisurely made my way to the Avis, arriving at around 8:30am. There were two customers in front of me (and by the time it got to my turn two customers were behind me). There were a total of about 300 passengers doing the back to back and several were at the Avis with plans either to go to Anchorage and back or Seward and back. I picked up my passengers at the cruise ship terminal at 8:45am and waited in the staging area for the 9:00am tunnel. Exiting Whittier there is no need to pay the toll – it’s only paid on the return journey into Whittier. The tunnel gives priority to the buses and there were a total of eight Princess buses. The regular vehicles followed. I entered the tunnel at 9:11am and exited right around 9:17am. Driving to Seward, I made one stop at Moose Pass to use the bathroom (be aware that all the businesses in Moose Pass have signs explicitly stating that restrooms are only for the use of their customers, which to me seems very un-Alaskan and unfriendly!). As expected, there were some construction delays just south of Moose Pass. This consisted of flagger-operated single lane alternating traffic for paving operations. I estimate the delay to be on the order of 10-15 minutes, primarily due to the reduced speed limit. I arrived at Exit Glacier at 11:05am and spent considerable time viewing the glacier and exhibits inside the Visitor Center (warning: the mosquitoes on the trails are very thirsty!). Back on the highway at mile marker 3 there is an enormous eagle’s nest and I spent some time gazing at that before having lunch at 12:30pm in Seward. I entered the Alaska SeaLife Center at 1:30pm and spent 1.5 hours there before leaving Seward at 3:00pm. I filled up at the Shell in Seward and then headed straight to the Alaska Wildlife Conversation Center (en route I did see a pair of moose), arriving at 4:30pm. I spent 45 minutes there and then took a photo of the Portage Glacier just before paying the tunnel toll and then getting in line for the 5:30pm tunnel to Whittier. The Princess trains dumped off many passengers at this time. After returning the car to Avis, walking back to the ship, and going through security, I was back on board and enjoying dinner at 6:15pm. Overall, I think this trip is definitely doable and very worthwhile for those who accept a certain level of risk. Years ago, I had to deal with being left behind by a ship in Naples while on an independent tour, so the prospect of missing the ship in a safe, English-speaking country with a nearby international airport did not seem so daunting. The road to Seward is actually quite scenic and there are numerous passing lanes so getting stuck behind slow traffic was not a major problem. Happy travels and I would be happy to answer any questions about my experience today.

Thanks to everybody for your thoughtful insights and suggestions! I just returned from our day out of Whittier and wanted to post our experience for others’ future reference. First off, we had absolutely gorgeous weather! It was sunny and hot with temperatures in Seward reaching 20°C (68°F)! I got off the ship at 8:20am and leisurely made my way to the Avis, arriving at around 8:30am. There were two customers in front of me (and by the time it got to my turn two customers were behind me). There were a total of about 300 passengers doing the back to back and several were at the Avis with plans either to go to Anchorage and back or Seward and back. I picked up my passengers at the cruise ship terminal at 8:45am and waited in the staging area for the 9:00am tunnel. Exiting Whittier there is no need to pay the toll – it’s only paid on the return journey into Whittier. The tunnel gives priority to the buses and there were a total of eight Princess buses. The regular vehicles followed. I entered the tunnel at 9:11am and exited right around 9:17am. Driving to Seward, I made one stop at Moose Pass to use the bathroom (be aware that all the businesses in Moose Pass have signs explicitly stating that restrooms are only for the use of their customers, which to me seems very un-Alaskan and unfriendly!). As expected, there were some construction delays just south of Moose Pass. This consisted of flagger-operated single lane alternating traffic for paving operations. I estimate the delay to be on the order of 10-15 minutes, primarily due to the reduced speed limit. I arrived at Exit Glacier at 11:05am and spent considerable time viewing the glacier and exhibits inside the Visitor Center (warning: the mosquitoes on the trails are very thirsty!). Back on the highway at mile marker 3 there is an enormous eagle’s nest and I spent some time gazing at that before having lunch at 12:30pm in Seward. I entered the Alaska SeaLife Center at 1:30pm and spent 1.5 hours there before leaving Seward at 3:00pm. I filled up at the Shell in Seward and then headed straight to the Alaska Wildlife Conversation Center (en route I did see a pair of moose), arriving at 4:30pm. I spent 45 minutes there and then took a photo of the Portage Glacier just before paying the tunnel toll and then getting in line for the 5:30pm tunnel to Whittier. The Princess trains dumped off many passengers at this time. After returning the car to Avis, walking back to the ship, and going through security, I was back on board and enjoying dinner at 6:15pm. Overall, I think this trip is definitely doable and very worthwhile for those who accept a certain level of risk. Years ago, I had to deal with being left behind by a ship in Naples while on an independent tour, so the prospect of missing the ship in a safe, English-speaking country with a nearby international airport did not seem so daunting. The road to Seward is actually quite scenic and there are numerous passing lanes so getting stuck behind slow traffic was not a major problem. Happy travels and I would be happy to answer any questions about my experience today.

It was very nice of you to report back about your turn around day and how it worked out for you. So glad you had a wonderful day. Thanks again for sharing the outcome. So many posters never come back to tell us how things turned out.

Archived