Any reason to not book a forward cabin?

AandBmom

We're looking to have 2 connecting ocean view cabins on the Imagination. I noticed that the only available ones left are all forward cabins. Any reason why these ones might be left still? I'm usually mid or aft. Is the rocking that much more pronounced forward? More so than aft? Just curious if there is something else that I'm not considering....

We have had aft cabins in the past and really liked them. We felt movement. We're at midship on the Miracle and clear forward (practically under the bridge), on the Grand Princess. I don't foresee anything negative about that - especially 8 days at sea.

How far forward and how low a deck? We once had one of the porthole cabins on the lower decks that are way forward and got an early morning wake up call from the bow thrusters and the anchor being dropped. The vibration and the noise scared the heck out of us the first time we experienced it. On a port intensive itinerary it can be really annoying.

I love forward cabins!! It's more than just rocking. Think of the front of the ship bouncing up every time you hit a wave. Sometimes the bouncing is rough.

Even if seas are relativity calm, you will notice some motion at night. If you are prone to sea/motion sickness, proceed with caution. If you love to be rocked to sleep, this is for you.

Don't listen to all these people with their "old wives tales" about cabin location.

I have been in every area of the ship and it really does not matter were you are, its all the same.

The main reason the cabins are available is because they are all the way at the end of the hall and its a long walk from the elevators.

I have been forward, midship and aft. I hated aft ..long walk and to much movement. Midship ok , but not worth extra cost IMO. Forward last 4 cruises have been forward, last two Lido deck and 2 Pano before that. I now ask for forward .. last cruise 11224, next one 11260. You just have to find your spot.

If there is any rolling motion to the ship, you will feel it more in the front or back than in the middle. You will feel it more on a higher deck than a lower one. You will feel it more in an outside cabin than an inside one.

I agree with the poster who said that it doesn't really make that much of a difference. Unless you are especially prone to motion sickness, you probably won't notice it.

Don't listen to all these people with their "old wives tales" about cabin location.

I have been in every area of the ship and it really does not matter were you are, its all the same.

Wrong!!

One time on the Paradise, my sister and I were on the Upper deck and walked all the way from the aft cabins to the forward cabins. There was some rocking at the Aft, very little rocking in the Middle and a lot of rocking at the front.

Well I have always booked a mid ship balcony on either upper or empress with no problems of sea sickness or too much motion what-so-ever. My cruise coming up next week, I have my first "aft" booked- so I will let you know if I notice any difference :)

Caro

I felt movement but not that pronounced to me haven't been in the middle of the ship in a while doing my first aft next month will let you know how that goes:)

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

If the sea is rough, you'll feel it more in the way front and back. If it the seas are calm, it won't make a difference.

As an example, we were on Glory about 2 months ago. DH has walking issues. He had his first ever spa appt on the last sea day. The sea was rough and the ship was rocking making it difficult for him to get around. I walked in while he was on the phone cancelling his spa appt because he couldn't walk there (top deck at the front.) I interrupted and said I'd help him there and back, so he kept his appt. He could not have walked there without help.

Are you thinking there is only one set of connecting cabins open by looking at a website? They don't show all the open cabins. Call a pvp to fInd out if there are others.

may tend to feel a little more motion in the front.........will depend a lot on the sea conditions though.

The only issue I've ever had in a forward cabin is the noise of the anchor going out at a tender port early in the morning, that will wake you up!

Both of these are closest to the truth in my opinion.

We had had forward cabins many times. I hear so many people talk about how lower and more mid is a smoother ride. Believe me... I get the physics of being further from the fulcrum or pivot point and having more movement. However, I challenge you next time you feel ANY movement on a ship to walk that ship and sense the difference for your self. It is really not that much difference from front to back and top to bottom. When that ship moves.... It all moves.

Of our 80 days at sea we have had 2 days that were really rough. One we were in a forward porthole cabin and the other an aft interior in the very center of the ship. (on the hall across the back). Both times it was rough any where you went on that ship.

As for the anchor noise.... We were already awake when it began. That was not an issue for us.

Pick the cabins that suit your needs. And enjoy your time at sea.

I love staying in the back of the ship...as far aft as possible, so I am no stranger to ship movement. However, I found the front of the ship to be way worse for some reason and I try to never book anything forward of center ship.

Just my preference.

I too, have "bunked" all over the ships, and frankly, the main problem I have noticed with forward cabins, at least on lower decks, is the noise of the sea hitting the hull while underway, and the noise of the anchor, or thrusters when going into port, or stopping for a tendering port. Yes, there is a bit more motion forward, or aft, but IMO, not enough to worry about, but once again, on smaller ships (Fantasy or Spirit Class) the noise of the waves hitting the hull is quite loud at times.

"SKY"

I have been on many different decks and all over the ship. I think most of the difference comes with the location of the deck. The higher the deck-- possibly more motion. I really enjoy a forward cabin on a higher deck but I do not get sea sick. I dislike an aft facing cabin--nothing to do with movement-just my preference--I think if you are prone to sea sickness it can happen any where. I do buy into the noise but that also happens in the aft on lower decks. We had a forward room with aft dining and the movement during the rough days out of NY were about the same!

I too, have "bunked" all over the ships, and frankly, the main problem I have noticed with forward cabins, at least on lower decks, is the noise of the sea hitting the hull while underway, and the noise of the anchor, or thrusters when going into port, or stopping for a tendering port. Yes, there is a bit more motion forward, or aft, but IMO, not enough to worry about, but once again, on smaller ships (Fantasy or Spirit Class) the noise of the waves hitting the hull is quite loud at times.

"SKY"

We've been in about half a dozen 4J's and we also are not really bothered by the movement......Best sleep I get is when staying in those 4J's....I hate leaving the ship for that reason alone!! But, that noise can be quite loud even on the larger ships.. we find it amazing. Was in a 4J on Deck10 on the Breeze this past May...a couple days seas a little rough...we were amazed how loud the noise was from the sea hitting the ships hull....a few times the cabin literally shuddered from the noise/impact!!! But we love those 4J cabins.

We're looking to have 2 connecting ocean view cabins on the Imagination. I noticed that the only available ones left are all forward cabins. Any reason why these ones might be left still? I'm usually mid or aft. Is the rocking that much more pronounced forward? More so than aft? Just curious if there is something else that I'm not considering....

We have often stayed in forward Porthole Cabins. We like them because: limited ocean view for the same price of an inside, no wait on the elevators leaving or returning from a busy day in port, a long walk to most common areas on the ship which helps with weight gain! LOL

However, the counter to that:

If the seas are rough, you will not only feel it, you will hear it! The sound of the waves hitting the hull can be LOUD and can wake you during the night. If you are not early risers, you will definitely be awakened on port days with the sound of the thrusters and anchor. DH is a deep sleeper and not even he could sleep through that! LOL

When we book a Porthole, we know we will deal with these issues, but if our budget is tight and we really want to go on that particular cruise and the price is good enough, we go. It doesn't matter that much to us as for us the advantages and disadvantages are about equal.

However, it is a complete fallacy that it doesn't matter where you stay on a ship. We have had cabins from the bottom deck to the top and the very front, middle and back. You experience can be very different in each location , especially when you factor in the sea conditions, which no one can predict.

If anyone in your party is prone to sea sickness, the best location is a lower deck mid ship location....it's not only common sense but a basic understanding of the laws of physics.

Archived