An Inauspicious Beginning!

KCI

We are packed and leave tonight to spend the night in Tampa before departing at 8:00 a.m. tomorrow for the land tour starting in Fairbanks, followed by the SB cruise to Vancouver. We have really worried about getting wet in Alaska after reading all the info on this board. Well....we just has over an inch of rain in an hour and there is no sign of it letting up and we leave in 45 minutes. I just told my DH that we won't have to wait til we get to Alaska to find out if our shoes, coats, etc are rain resistant or not. Well we can't control the weather (here or there) so I guess it's north to Alaska for us no matter what. We are really excited and can't wait to start this journey we have been planning forever it seems.

You will have a great time! On our Alaska cruise five years ago, it was cold and wet the entire time, yet we had the time of our lives! We were just looking at the photos of that trip and it brought back many smiles. Enjoy!

I am typing this post while in an Anchorage hotel. We drove over to Anchorage from Valdez today. The last two days in Valdez offered rain and drizzle, with highs in the mid-50sF. Actually, given the weather in Fairbanks when we left we thoroughly enjoyed it.

We are packed and leave tonight to spend the night in Tampa before departing at 8:00 a.m. tomorrow for the land tour starting in Fairbanks, followed by the SB cruise to Vancouver. We have really worried about getting wet in Alaska after reading all the info on this board. Well....we just has over an inch of rain in an hour and there is no sign of it letting up and we leave in 45 minutes. I just told my DH that we won't have to wait til we get to Alaska to find out if our shoes, coats, etc are rain resistant or not. Well we can't control the weather (here or there) so I guess it's north to Alaska for us no matter what. We are really excited and can't wait to start this journey we have been planning forever it seems.

We did this exact cruisetour 12 years ago and really enjoyed it and I am sure you will as well! Have a great time!

DaveOKC

We just got back last night and we had sun most of the trip. I think it rained one day and that was on our overnight in Seward. It was cloudy the next morning, but no rain. We were told over and over the entire 2 weeks we were in AK, that the summer has been unusually warm and dry. So dry they had Extreme Fire Danger warnings up.

Have fun - no matter the weather! AK is SPECTACULAR!

Archived