Worst table companion you have had

When I did a 14 day British Isles cruise with my parents, we were seated at a table with two other couples. After the first night, one couple switched leaving us with the other couple ( they actually had a five year old son with them but he was always in the kids' club so we only saw him once the whole cruise). They were very snooty and the husband was the biggest know it all I have ever met. There wasn't a topic that was brought up, that he couldn't monopolize. My mom made the mistake of inviting him to trivia one night and he almost got into a fight with a couple of teenagers who were there. We were so embarrassed. I kept thinking I wished we would have switched tables too but we were too chicken to do it. We did learn our lesson and switched tables when we were on the Enchantment of the Seas and were then seated with a great family. So glad we had the courage to switch. Now we always request tables just for us, even at breakfast and lunch.

hahaha only 1 time... he wasnt too bad... but I was sick of him gauking at me, and my 2 friends for dressing more formal than the actual attire called for.. what can we say, it was a girly cruise and we were dressed up, ok so our one friend was "HOT" and had a nice bod, she wasnt letting it all hang but he sure was rude, and not friendly. Our honeymoon we didnt have bad tablemates, its just that it was me and hubby age 26 with 2 people in their high 60's.... we specifically have asked to be at a table of alot of people.

When I did a 14 day British Isles cruise with my parents, we were seated at a table with two other couples. After the first night, one couple switched leaving us with the other couple ( they actually had a five year old son with them but he was always in the kids' club so we only saw him once the whole cruise). They were very snooty and the husband was the biggest know it all I have ever met. There wasn't a topic that was brought up, that he couldn't monopolize. My mom made the mistake of inviting him to trivia one night and he almost got into a fight with a couple of teenagers who were there. We were so embarrassed. I kept thinking I wished we would have switched tables too but we were too chicken to do it. We did learn our lesson and switched tables when we were on the Enchantment of the Seas and were then seated with a great family. So glad we had the courage to switch. Now we always request tables just for us, even at breakfast and lunch.

Had one of those know it all one ups man types on our Explorer cruise. If I we live near New York City and go their quite frequently . They go every year and stay in a suite at the Waldorf. If we were talking about cars ...He owned a some fancy European luxury car ,some special edition that cost a fortune and there are only 3 in the whole world.

It gets tiring after a while .

Our most 'entertaining' table mate would have to be the clone of Hyacinth Bucket who ruled over our table and tried to one up everyone. My husband and I were thoroughly entertained but others at the table were not.

The worst was probably on the Jewel of the Seas last year. My friend and I were seated at a table for eight, so there was us, two married couples traveling together, and one other married couple. One of the foursome was the most obnoxious boorish man I've ever met. He talked in a loud voice, bragged about how much money he had (this went on and on throughout the meal) and bought a round of after dinner shots for the entire table, whether we wanted one or not :rolleyes: I didn't feel like listening to this guy brag on and on for a second night and neither did my friend. We switched tables the next night and ended up at one of the best tables ever.

The Navigator of the Seas cruise was a close second, just because every one else at the table kept to themselves (two other couples) and didn't talk to us at all :(

The weirdest table mates I ever had were on the Serenade of the Seas a couple years earlier. I was traveling solo and was at a large table with a bunch of other solo passengers. One lady was going through a divorce and cried every night. Another lady was recently widowed and made it a point to share with all of us that she was on that cruise looking for a one night stand, or maybe seven one night stands. She apparently found a willing partner in one of the crew members :eek: She shared all the details at dinner :(

One of the best tables we ever sat at, a table for 10, also included a couple who were very reserved the entire two weeks. They weren't rude, but you definitely got the impression they didn't necessarily approve of the little bit of drinking that was going on, or one of the couples at the table, who were a hilarious pair of Gentlemen from San Francisco.

It was nearly the last night when they finally opened up, and we were all horrified when they did :eek:. Everyone was sharing stories of their dogs, cats, etc, when the couple proceeded to share the stories of their German shepherds, who apparently were very effective at eliminating ANYTHING that came into the "compound". I will spare the gory details, but the couple was quite delighted by their story, laughing and elaborating on the damage inflicted. The rest of the table grew silent and a bit pale.

I know now, if somebody at the table doesn't want to participate in the conversation, leave them alone!!! You may not want to know them better :eek::eek:

I love Hyacinth. I bet it was hilarious....

Our most 'entertaining' table mate would have to be the clone of Hyacinth Bucket who ruled over our table and tried to one up everyone. My husband and I were thoroughly entertained but others at the table were not.

Sounds like you could be talking about my sister, also a "Doctor's wife" . My brother in law is from a long line of doctors (father, sister, 2 brothers , etc) and pretty well regarded in this area. Most down to earth guy you ever want to meet, as are my nieces and nephews

My sister is the "high handed' one and she never even went to med school. :)

My dad used to tease my BIL. "You bought her first pair of shoes and a house with the bathroom indoors and she hasn't been the same since " *LOL*

:eek: LOL!!!!!!! OMG!!!!

:eek:

Another lady was recently widowed and made it a point to share with all of us that she was on that cruise looking for a one night stand, or maybe seven one night stands. She apparently found a willing partner in one of the crew members :eek: She shared all the details at dinner :(

Another lady was recently widowed and made it a point to share with all of us that she was on that cruise looking for a one night stand, or maybe seven one night stands. She apparently found a willing partner in one of the crew members :eek: She shared all the details at dinner :(

*shudders*

We were on the Infinity with a table for six, three couples in the MDR.

Introductions – Epsom, England – Squires, Missouri and then the third couple said “Dusseldorf”

Dusseldorf? - said the man from Squires

Yes, in Germany - Have you been there?

Yes – But did I not stay actually stay there – I was a tail gunner during the war on a bombing raid over Dusseldorf – I had the best seat in the house – we really messed the place up – It was a real DOOZEY! – Were you there then?

With that the German couple left the table, and the man from Squires turned to his Wife saying – They just left without saying anything - I told you Germans were S#!t rude.

We also then left the table.

I doubt if there was ever such rudeness at a MDR table

Whoa...my mouth would have dropped open at that one.

On our last cruise ( a 14 day B2B ) we had only 1 table mate and he introduced himself on the first night as MR blah blah....he was a teacher and every conversation was a challenge of knowledge...we didn't change tables because we loved our water. I was very happy to leave our last meal with MR blah blah though

Eewwwww!

We used to be fans of big tables.

But not really so much anymore.

Our family of four requested a table for 10.

And in walks a three generation family.

Great, we thought, because we too have traveled in the past as a party of six/three generation family - got lots in common, right?

Nope.

I have no idea what language they spoke, but they weren't willing to socialize with us Americans.

It was painful.

We should have begged for a different table.

Live and learn.

Reading all these posts reminds me of why we only sit at a table for two. We shared tables for 24 years and finally gave up. The event that sealed the deal was a table for 10 on NCL.

One of the couple's were from Kentucky, and I innocently asked how to pronounce "Louisville", because I had a friend that always said "Lullville". This woman proceeded to tell me no one pronounced it that way unless they were "crackers" from the "hill country". Not someone I wanted to share meals with, so we ate in the buffet the rest of the cruise.

Unfortunately, Princess Diana was reported as dead while we were on our way to the airport to leave for this cruise, and the buffet on board the ship had multiple 24/7 TVs with all the sad, sad, news about Princess Di. Very sad dinners on that cruise.

My wife and I always ask for a large table, normally 10 people, at the late dining. We like meeting new people and have almost always had great table mates. Occasionally, we will have a quiet couple at the table, but normally that is nothing more than a little awkward. And I always find it easy to start conversations, simply asking what people did that day.

But one time we had terrible table mates. Or, I should say a terrible table mate. Her poor husband! We actually met them on Cruise Critic in advance of our sailing. And we met up with her at the sailaway. She insisted that we had to switch tables and join their table. She seemed nice at the time, so we gladly accepted the invitation. What a mistake!

She could not eat gluten, which in and of itself wouldn't be a problem. But it was how she handled it that was the problem. After she told the waiter and the head waiter about her gluten-free requirements, they were always extremely accommodating. But she was so rude at every single meal. When every dish came, she asked again if it was gluten-free. And she didn't do it in a nice way. She was extremely condescending to the waiter. Everybody else at the table felt horrible for the poor waiter, who she just heaped grief on.

There was never a please or a thank you. It was just always a demand. And when the waiter brought gluten-free spaghetti but didn't bring a large spoon to help her twirl her spaghetti, she became essentially apoplectic. By this point, all of the table mates were actually kind of enjoying ourselves, giving each other looks of disbelief. One night when they were at a specialty restaurant, we all felt like we had escaped prison. But then they came back the next night. After that people began to start leaving the table, seeking refuge elsewhere. Ultimately, after five days, we did the same. We felt like we had won the lottery.

Oh, she was also a complete know it all. But my wife and I still joke all the time when we are having spaghetti. If there is no large spoon, we pretend to get extremely upset. So ultimately, this horrible table mate has made for some pretty amusing stories.

That being said, we will still seek out large tables and new friends, just not her!!

Unfortunately our first cruise did put us off sharing a table.

We were seated with some French canadians .

They started eating before us,never made eye contact and always left without saying goodbye.

I heard them speak english to the waiter.

There were 5 of us ,and 4 of them.

We all ordered at diffrent times and they basically talked amongst themselves.

We did try to engage and we are happy well mannered people.

I was quite upset as I was looking forward to nice dinner conversation.

On our cruise next week we are on our own,I am quite relived to be honest.

Why didn't you ask to switch tables instead of eating in the buffet?

Reading all these posts reminds me of why we only sit at a table for two. We shared tables for 24 years and finally gave up. The event that sealed the deal was a table for 10 on NCL.

One of the couple's were from Kentucky, and I innocently asked how to pronounce "Louisville", because I had a friend that always said "Lullville". This woman proceeded to tell me no one pronounced it that way unless they were "crackers" from the "hill country". Not someone I wanted to share meals with, so we ate in the buffet the rest of the cruise.

Unfortunately, Princess Diana was reported as dead while we were on our way to the airport to leave for this cruise, and the buffet on board the ship had multiple 24/7 TVs with all the sad, sad, news about Princess Di. Very sad dinners on that cruise.

Chicagobound - sounds like you are talking about the person I started the post about only it was nut allergy!! She also was just so rude to the waiters, really dreadful. So sad there are passengers out there like that.

Like you for approx 28 years we have had fantastic dining companions and then you just get one that ruins your entire evening. That night we didn't even have a dessert or coffee as we just wanted to get away from her.

We have a code word which we both said about 10 mins after sitting down and it was "Pita" which of course stands for "Pain in the ***" :)

Love reading this thread!

My mother related this story: My parents were cruising with my youngest brother and 3 young single women in their 20's approached the assigned table and made a snarky face upon seeing my older parents and young brother. My mom was highly insulted but being the polite person she was, said or did nothing. Well, it turned out great for all of them by the end of the week and they joked about the first impressions, that first day.

We had one bad experience and it was only at a wine tasting on an X cruise. My DH, myself and my friend alone (her DH didn't attend). When we arrived the hostess asked if we minded being seated with someone else and we were seated with a single man (his DW didn't attend) right in the very front. Being polite, I moved into the booth first then my friend and then my DH. Well, this man turned out to be the most obnoxious, annoying, loud, insulting person (and DH and I are native NYers) so I kept moving closer and closer to my friend in the booth because I didn't want the whole room (heavily attended may I add) to think I was married to this boar! I was so embarrassed and I didn't even know this man.

An early cruise was just DH, I and our 5 yo son at the time and we were seated with another couple with a single child too. But they kept to themselves and then so did we, after our first 'how are you' and 'how was your day' pleasantries at every dinner.

Keep up the good stories ... we mostly cruise with our own family and friends so we don't experience 'stranger' table mates too often. But the other times we have it has been pleasant or fun. Next cruise is with my brother and SIL so we'll need to decide if we'll request a 4 top. The following cruise, it's just DH and I so far, so I requested MTD because we'll keep it romantic (and quick) and request a table for 2 every night.

Can't say our tablemates on Oasis were bad, but it was one couple with a teen daughter from Romania. Typical teen. But she was the only one who spoke a decent amount of English. The parents tried but dinner was very quiet at our table. But we were in a small enclosed area surrounded by a Brazilian Church group who were loud and very obnoxious. The second morning the maitre de called and asked if we would mind being relocated as the church group wanted the whole area. Before we could say anything else he said our tablemates were moved already. They noted that not because of us, but the group. So we moved to a table right next to the Captains table which is about as close as we will ever get I think. We had a great group of people. One had the loft suite.

And on only one other cruise were we with strangers who were very nice.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Well now that I go back there was one person we had who was a roll call buddy invited by my other friend. We had a table for 8. My one friend and my husband and I were on Atkins like diet. The woman in question was very large, so large she could not sit in a chair with arms. Now out friend Jim was huge too but could fit in those chairs.

This woman was a "Life coach". Why anyone would be her client is beyond me because she was the rudest most obnoxious person I had ever met in my life. Now from a NYer that is saying something. She berated the waiter every night and was never happy.

Well one night it was surf and turf. We sub veggies for starches so Jim had a nice meal selected. She seemed enticed by our eating plan as she could see we ate a lot and saw we were doing well. So not happy with what she had (again) she said I will have what he had ( meaning Jim) so the waiter did.

When he brought it she said no that's still not right I want what he had plus what I had. Well at that point the waiter let her have it. Jim's wife and I were laughing so hard we almost had to hide under the table. She deserved whatever he said as he was the nicest man and bent over backwards for her.

Her husband was this tiny little meek guy who was totally under her control.the men wanted to go up to the cigar bar and invited him. She gave him such a look and then he meekly declined. We nick named him Fievel ( the mouse).

Made for a lot of good cruise stories.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

DH and I were on our second cruise and decided bring friends (a husband and wife) with us and expose them to a potentially new addiction. We're all in our 30s and decided to take a 7-night cruise. We were seated in the MDR at a table for 12. We missed dinner on the first night and the second night was the first of two formal nights. We were assigned a table for 12 in the MDR. No one else showed up to our table that night.

When we arrived to dinner on the third night, we found a group of 6 people (3 couples who knew each other prior to the cruise) already at the table. They were in their 60s and from various states in the southeast. We sat at one end of the table and they sat at the other end. We introduced ourselves to one another and made small talk but it became noticible within 5 minutes that only one person from the group of 6 was conversing with us. The other five were not interested in socializing. During the inital conversation, one person, upon finding out that we attended the formal night dinner the night before, remarked in a grumpy and condescending tone, "Ah, when you get to our age, you don't do the formal nights anymore." For the next four nights (excluding the second formal night), they didn't talk to us. In fact, they didn't talk to each other. To make it worse, they stared at us throughout the dinner. They scoffed every night when anyone in our group ordered wine. We decided not to let this bother us or ruin our cruise. After all, the four of us could talk between ourselves all dinner long and we only had to spend a couple hours at the same table as them. Despite that we didn't let us bother us, it was apparent to our waiters and the head waiter that they were not very social. And, to top it off, they didn't give the dining room staff the "tip envelopes" on the last night of the cruise!

Being our second cruise, we didn't know that we could ask to switch tables. However, on each cruise since then, while getting ready for dinner the first night, we remind each other that we do have the option to ask to switch tables, and will not hesitate to do so, if it doesn't seem like we'll mesh well with our tablemates. We also say a little prayer that we''ll have nice, social tablemates. It's really not too much ask, is it?!? :)

I had to read through all of these to make sure we weren't any of the couples someone was reporting about. On our FOS cruise, we were seated at a 4-top for dinner and had a decent enough conversation the first evening with a couple about the same age who were farmers in the Midwest (we're from Michigan and Wisconsin). But we never saw them at dinner for the rest of the cruise. We always wondered what we did to drive them away.

Archived