DIY hand laundry

cruisecountess

I do a small hand wash of personal items most nights. On the R class ships, there was a wide ledge by the window of our ocean view cabin, perfect for laying the items out to dry. We will soon be on the Riviera and there will be no such ledge. Do I need to bring a travel size clothes line or is there one in the shower or across / above the tub? Any place, other than the floor, to lay out a bath towel and put the hand wash on it to dry? Thanks. I know there are laundry facilities on board, but some items can't be machine washed. :(

Harriet

I believe there is a pull out clothes line over the tub but I honestly don't remember as I didn't use it.

Worse case scenario, after rolling the items in a towel, you could always hang your items on clothes hangers and place the hangers on door knobs for drying....Good luck!

I think every cabin on every ship has some sort of clothes line, technically for the drying of bathing suits!:D

We have found the blow up hangars sold by travel web sites very useful as they hold the fabric apart and things dry quicker.

We have not had a problem except for the flow restrictors that make it a task to fill the basin. I have actually rinsed thing out in the shower.

We were on Marina for what is essentially a B2B, from 5/6 to 6/11, and on each segment were offered a laundry deal, 20 items for $20 on certain days, at least 3 times on each segment. While you may still hand wash and use the clothes line, this might interest you as well. Hope the laundry deal continues! Marlene

We were on a long voyage last cruise on an R ship. We spent 2 days in Coral Gables "provisioning" so we didn't have to lug a bunch of toiletries, etc on the plane from Cali and also so we could buy some wine and spirits to bring aboard. And of course we spent those 2 enjoying the food and vibe of South Florida.

We bought a small bottle of liquid Tide and also a little basin used to wash dishes. We also found some clothespins with hooks at the store. All of these were helpful when hand washing lingerie and our quick drying clothes, and also helped us avoid using the laundry room. R ships don't have bathtubs until PH cats so we didn't have one but found the dish washing tub worked well and spared our backs. Our stewardess was very happy to have it at the end of our 48 days.

Our cruise left in early January just as the flu season peaked in the US and we had more than several confirmed cases of influenza on the first segment. Those pax were quarantined of course. The laundry room was shut down and the 20 items of laundry for $20 was offered instead. Piece by piece laundry was reasonable and done well. There are somethings that just do better when washed by hand.

ps/ we obtained a good sturdy box from the Publix store and bought some packaging tape to seal everything as well as bubble wrap to protect those bottles of adult beverages. The box came on board with the rest of our luggage without any problem. AND we had bubble wrap and tape to protect our souvenirs for the trip back home.

• 3 weeks later...

We do hand laundry every night (I pack lightly!) and we use the "pinchy" hangers to dry our things. My husband wears "travel" shirts and washes them out when he's in the shower; I use the sink. The whole process takes maybe 10 minutes.

I roll them up in one of the towels, squeeze out as much water as I can, unroll it and hang it up on the hangers.

We do this at night after our room has been prepared so we hang the hangers from door knobs and in the closet with the doors open (use the closet nearest the cabin door and you won't run into the open closet doors in the middle of the night!) We do it at night so the attendants don't have to deal with our hanging laundry!

Everything is dry the next morning! And yes, there is a line in the shower but often the bathroom is pretty steamy so we hang our stuff out in the cabin.

It will be interesting on the WC of 2015 as laundry is included in the fare. Any experience on how good "careful" the laundry is on board the Oceania ships?

Have been please with our laundry. Those items I want washed in cold water I specify and have not had shrinkage problems. My husband wears white Tshirts under his regular shirts. They come back ironed. I remind him that that isn't going to happen at home!

Dry cleaning is equally well handled.

Archived