Another travel media story on a QM2 crossing

Underwatr

They're off to an inauspicious start, in my opinion, with reference to the NY Times' "Cunardist" article, and one of the first questions first questions for the writer is about the class system onboard, but now Frommer's Online will be reporting from aboard Queen Mary 2's 200th transatlantic crossing this week.

I've avoided making any, er, "clarifications" so far but i'll be keeping an eye on the reporting.

http://www.frommers.com/community/blogs/arthur-frommer-online/index.html?&plckController=Blog&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&UID=697c8767-df38-4150-a3f3-487b66dac850&plckPostId=Blog%3a697c8767-df38-4150-a3f3-487b66dac850Post%3a5fb1e358-13d6-476d-846d-f9bfbd192ccf&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest

If the above link doesn't work, go here and look for any QM2 articles:

http://www.frommers.com/community/blogs/arthur-frommer-online/

Thanks Underwatr, for that link. Hopefully, the author will disclose who is paying for his voyage. If Cunard is picking up the tab, it's not reporting - it's PR.

He lost me at "Cunardists" anyway. -S.

On one of our TA crossings including Hamburg...I met a reporter sailing from Hamburg to SH who was assigned by her local paper to find out why people loved the QM2. She asked her questions in Churchills. A good variaty of people. Logically...they could have gotten the same information just interviewing people getting off the ship waiting for a taxi. :)

It will be (very slightly) interesting to see how this turns out... not off to a good start, IMHO...

I would have thought there would be background information in the opening section, setting the scene, describing the route, a little ship history...

There is more (poor) information here about the Queen Mary, than there is about the Queen Mary 2...

I do wonder why questions won't be answered until the crossing is over, indicating that the reporter feels he will know the answers to everything there is to know, by voyage end. This method rules out supplementary questions seeking more information or clarification.

How much better to inter-act with the questioners/website, so he could find out more answers during the crossing, while he has the opportunity to ask Stephen Payne, the officers, senior staff, passengers, or go and look for himself while he has the chance, and then answer the questions professionally.

Ah well...

Why are all reports so untruthful? Is it because they are in fact PR funded by Cunard?

$900 per TA? Those who cruise Cunard regularly, know that this is a "last minute FLASH sale" to fill empty cabins, most likely only one cabin at that price, inside over the anchor chain!

No mention of Port fees or Gvnt Tax..

Average price is approx. 50% more, $1300 and if you are a solo cruiser you will most likely , pay $2600 plus Port fees and Govnt tax . A much LARGER price than $900 ( a solo cruiser will in fact most likely pay

No mention of 15% extra for each drink, or the auto tip per person added to your on board account unless you fill out a form to have it taken off, which most cruisers do not do not.

My own pet peeve is not the "class difference" between the Grills and Britannia, but the "class difference between Main and Second seating , that there are no hosted tables at Main seating, that the Captain/Commodore only hosts one table one night and that is at second seating only.

Other cruise lines, have no problem having hosted tables at both seatings.

I don't think I have heard the term "Cunardist" before.

Do you think it may be an attempt at an insult?

They call Trekers, Trekies to make fun of them. Maybe they are calling Cunarders, Cunardists to make fun of them??

Maybe I'm being a bit paranoid. :confused:

What ever he writes, my opinion is already made up. I book Cunard when ever I can afford it and / or it makes timing sense for my time off work.

The first mention of the word "Cunardists" that I encountered was in a review by Dwight Garner, published in the New York Times last February. It can be found here: http://travel.nytimes.com/2013/02/10/travel/seven-days-on-the-queen-mary-2.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Sorry I can't find the thread, but "Cunardists" was discussed on this forum shortly after Gardner's review was published. -S.

The first mention of the word "Cunardists" that I encountered was in a review by Dwight Garner, published in the New York Times last February. It can be found here: http://travel.nytimes.com/2013/02/10/travel/seven-days-on-the-queen-mary-2.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Sorry I can't find the thread, but "Cunardists" was discussed on this forum shortly after Gardner's review was published. -S.

This was quoted by the author of the article on Frommers that the OP supplied the link to, and I quote -

"("The term of art—it is best pronounced while approximating Maggie Smith's cut-glass accent on Downton Abbey—is Cunardists," wrote the New York Times' Dwight Garner recently.)"

Maybe it's a slow day for news in New York?

This was quoted by the author of the article on Frommers that the OP supplied the link to, and I quote -

"("The term of art—it is best pronounced while approximating Maggie Smith's cut-glass accent on Downton Abbey—is Cunardists," wrote the New York Times' Dwight Garner recently.)"

Maybe it's a slow day for news in New York?

No, unfortunately, there's plenty of news, - just giving you yet another opportunity to exibit your wit :D

BTW, the main point of my post was that Garner's use of the word "Cunardists" was the first time I had heard the term. To the best of my recollection, others here expressed the same when the review was discussed. Perhaps you are more familiar with the word?

• 2 weeks later...

There was an article in the Orlando Sentinel today by Eric Vohr about a QM2 trans-Atlantic crossing. I thought it was well written and he had nothing but good things to say about the ship or the trip. It could have been written by Cunard themselves.

Don

Why are all reports so untruthful? Is it because they are in fact PR funded by Cunard?

$900 per TA? Those who cruise Cunard regularly, know that this is a "last minute FLASH sale" to fill empty cabins, most likely only one cabin at that price, inside over the anchor chain!

No mention of Port fees or Gvnt Tax..

Average price is approx. 50% more, $1300 and if you are a solo cruiser you will most likely , pay $2600 plus Port fees and Govnt tax . A much LARGER price than $900 ( a solo cruiser will in fact most likely pay

No mention of 15% extra for each drink, or the auto tip per person added to your on board account unless you fill out a form to have it taken off, which most cruisers do not do not.

My own pet peeve is not the "class difference" between the Grills and Britannia, but the "class difference between Main and Second seating , that there are no hosted tables at Main seating, that the Captain/Commodore only hosts one table one night and that is at second seating only.

Other cruise lines, have no problem having hosted tables at both seatings.

Totally agree this is a "fairy tale". For most, that would hardly cover the bar tab.:eek::D

Jason Cochran wrote that "Stateroom TVs have CNN..."

Is that true? I was on board QM2 in early July, and CNN wasn't available (in fact, I don't think it was available for quite some time). Can anyone confirm that CNN is currently available? Thanks. -S

Another quote from Jason Cochran: "But Carnival and Cunard will be the first to tell you that they owe the existence of the QM2 to James Cameron's movie." - oH good, I need that chuckle! What a hoot!

Travel writer are not interested in reporting the true facts.

Recently I read an ad for the condo building in which I live.

I did not recognize the place, it contained so many activities which do not exist, which in the 20+ years I have lived here have never existed.

My research has been unable to ascertain that the writer ever set foot in this building - and I suspect that is true of the writer of the travel article on the QM2.

He also said that first seating in "3-level" Britannia is at 6:30. Minor quibble but it reflects incomplete research.

jimsgirl..My research has been unable to ascertain that the writer ever set foot in this building - and I suspect that is true of the writer of the travel article on the QM2.

The 3-level dining and dinner hour is more in keeping with RCCL. Perhaps, that is one of the ships this writer has been on. ;)

best regards,

seasidegal

Archived