Live From the Star Princess July 6 - 13

shootingstar07

Yes, the top 40 most traveled passngers on the ship are invited to either a cocktail party or a special lunch with the Captain & senior officers. We love the lunch best but both are very nice.

We have been sailing on Princess since 1982...love cruising! :)

Thanks again!

Glacier Bay – July 10

I could not sleep in anticipation!! This is my 4th trip to GB and I was up on deck at 4:30!! The sun was rising and I have already gotten some very nice shots of snow capped mountains with the rising sun reflecting off them. The park rangers should be on board now and we should arrive at Margerie Glacier in about 4 hours. Sun is out!!! No rain in the forecast!!! I do think we have a little Irish luck following us – at critical moments, the sun has peeked through and provided some marvelous lighting for photos.

How fast the day passed!! And what a day it was. GB in full sunshine. Could not ask for more. But the sun barely helped warm the old bones while on deck. It was COLD!!! I had gloves, hand warmers, ear muffs, 3 layers of tops and I was still cold while in the shade of superstructure while viewing Margerie Glacier. We went in bow first and I think Capt McBain kept the port side in front of the glacier about 40 – 50 mins; then he started to do his 360, slowly. But I was surprised when he just kept rotating and brought the bow around to face the open channel – then started out. I really felt sorry for those starboard side balconies that might have had 30 minutes moving in front of the Glacier. As to calving, I did not see any major calving, but got photos of the series of smaller ones. But the sun and snow capped mountains rising above Margerie made for some beautiful photos. There was one fascinating area of sub-glacier channel of water bubbling up under the glacier. It looked like a volcanic eruption of water!! According to the ranger, it is a stream of melting water that helps keep the glacier moist. On our way out, we stopped at another glacier – Reid Glacier – for a short period of viewing and photo opportunity. The rangers said that between 1:30 and 2:30 we would be in an area where we could see some seals and humpback whales. And whales we did see!! I got one of the most beautiful photos of a fluke with water cascading off. He was swimming in a parallel course to the ship that gave me such a vantage point.

The evening was very busy. After a terrible showing at afternoon trivia, we went back to cabin to dress for dinner. Dinner was rushed because we had to make our way to Sky Walkers for the Most Traveled Pax party for 7 p.m. That was very short but enjoyable. Tatiana was playing music on the piano and of course, there was a photo op with Capt. McBain. I was surprised how fast those photos were developed and back in our hands!! The liquor and appetizers were excellent. We had an opportunity to talk a long time with the Captain as well as many of the ship’s officers. Then on to 50’s Rock & Roll trivia with 15 questions – 2 points per question – 1 for name of song, the other for artist. Bombed again!! We had 16 points, winners had 23. Oh well, we didn’t want that bottle of champagne anyway. After trivia we rushed to Crooners to catch another performance by Tom Franken. Just so enjoyable. He played for a straight 2.5 hours. Have no idea how he does it.

Tomorrow we are in Ketchikan. It is a very short port of call. The ship gets in at 6 a.m. and all aboard at noon. Weather is suppose to be in the upper 50’s, cloudy, but no rain in the forecast. Halleluiah!! But Billy said, bring the bug spray!!

Glacier Bay – July 10

I could not sleep in anticipation!! This is my 4th trip to GB and I was up on deck at 4:30!! The sun was rising and I have already gotten some very nice shots of snow capped mountains with the rising sun reflecting off them. The park rangers should be on board now and we should arrive at Margerie Glacier in about 4 hours. Sun is out!!! No rain in the forecast!!! I do think we have a little Irish luck following us – at critical moments, the sun has peeked through and provided some marvelous lighting for photos.

How fast the day passed!! And what a day it was. GB in full sunshine. Could not ask for more. But the sun barely helped warm the old bones while on deck. It was COLD!!! I had gloves, hand warmers, ear muffs, 3 layers of tops and I was still cold while in the shade of superstructure while viewing Margerie Glacier. We went in bow first and I think Capt McBain kept the port side in front of the glacier about 40 – 50 mins; then he started to do his 360, slowly. But I was surprised when he just kept rotating and brought the bow around to face the open channel – then started out. I really felt sorry for those starboard side balconies that might have had 30 minutes moving in front of the Glacier. As to calving, I did not see any major calving, but got photos of the series of smaller ones. But the sun and snow capped mountains rising above Margerie made for some beautiful photos. There was one fascinating area of sub-glacier channel of water bubbling up under the glacier. It looked like a volcanic eruption of water!! According to the ranger, it is a stream of melting water that helps keep the glacier moist. On our way out, we stopped at another glacier – Reid Glacier – for a short period of viewing and photo opportunity. The rangers said that between 1:30 and 2:30 we would be in an area where we could see some seals and humpback whales. And whales we did see!! I got one of the most beautiful photos of a fluke with water cascading off. He was swimming in a parallel course to the ship that gave me such a vantage point.

The evening was very busy. After a terrible showing at afternoon trivia, we went back to cabin to dress for dinner. Dinner was rushed because we had to make our way to Sky Walkers for the Most Traveled Pax party for 7 p.m. That was very short but enjoyable. Tatiana was playing music on the piano and of course, there was a photo op with Capt. McBain. I was surprised how fast those photos were developed and back in our hands!! The liquor and appetizers were excellent. We had an opportunity to talk a long time with the Captain as well as many of the ship’s officers. Then on to 50’s Rock & Roll trivia with 15 questions – 2 points per question – 1 for name of song, the other for artist. Bombed again!! We had 16 points, winners had 23. Oh well, we didn’t want that bottle of champagne anyway. After trivia we rushed to Crooners to catch another performance by Tom Franken. Just so enjoyable. He played for a straight 2.5 hours. Have no idea how he does it.

Tomorrow we are in Ketchikan. It is a very short port of call. The ship gets in at 6 a.m. and all aboard at noon. Weather is suppose to be in the upper 50’s, cloudy, but no rain in the forecast. Halleluiah!! But Billy said, bring the bug spray!!

Sounds like you needed those red ear pops today! :)

Although the need for gloves was a little worrisome (colder than Skagway or just more time outside?) very happy that your rain experiences may have come to an end! At least, Ketchikan and Victoria will be warmer? Victoria and Vancouver are both wonderful places to visit (as well as Seattle). Here in Houston we are having too much heat and too little rain (again this year).

Do you have another dress evening Thursday night? My son is somehow going on fishing junkets not only on our long stay in Skagway, but also during the few hours we have in Ketchikan (hope we see him for dinner that night!). Son-in-law and my oldest grandson (12) will do some cruiseline-sponsored zipline experience (they apparently are springing up in many ports, don't know why. The remainder of us, ages 4 to 66 have decided to just take a walk, something we've done before -- although the Allen Marine visit to Mysty Fjords was pleasant, just depending on how your "nature quotient" is doing.

Beyond dinner status (and maybe some comment about the Portofino Dinning Room (we are headed there for 6pm dinners as well) could you comment on length of the days (i.e. when does it actually become dark enough outside that you need lights to see where you are going?). On our June Baltic cruise a couple of years ago, northern regions of Russia, Finland, and Sweden had nights past midnight that were quite bright.

Hope you can put those gloves away now (but please tell us if you use them again).

DJ:)

Ketchikan July 11

We docked early – 6 a.m. Our float plane ride with Michelle of Island Wings, was not until 9 a.m. We goofed and had a leisurely breakfast prior to disembarking at 8:15. Instead we should have skipped breakfast (anathema to miss a meal on a ship!!) and headed ashore by 7 a.m. to walk the town. The weather once again, was beautiful!! It was a little chilly (about 58 degrees) but the sun was out!! AGAIN. In the group of 9, only 3 of us have been to Ketchikan, so the early disembarkation would have been a better choice. The Star was only in port from 6 a.m. – to noon. Shona, of Island Wings, picked us up at the range gauge at 8:50. The ride to the dock was just 5 minutes and all the paperwork was completed quickly. Michelle came out and we chatted for a few minutes. It is always very nice running into someone after a few years absence. She is a nice lady and probably one of the best pilots in the area. I think she said she has the equivalent of spending over 2 years of her life flying a plane in Alaska!! That is a lot of flying hours!! The family all boarded the plane and off the went – taking off over the HAL ship Zuiderdam. Pretty cool photo. My DH and I decided to go back to town and rent this cute little golf cart. And off we drove throughout the city. We stopped and several areas: Totem Pole Heritage Center, Creek Street, the Salmon “ladder” and finally the Safeway/Starbucks on the outskirts of town. We rented it for just 1 hour for $40. We sailed promptly at noon. Capt. McBain told everyone tor return on time because he had to leave 4 pax in Ketchikan on the June 30 cruise.

We all went our various ways for the evening. A few of us hung out in the late evening after a “logo trivia” for The Liar’s Game. In this, 3 cruise staff members were given 5 different words and each one of them tried to convince us of the true definition of each word. One would be telling the truth and the other 2 would be liars. We all agreed it was a silly game and several of us walked out before it was completed. We all thought the evening festivities were scheduled to move crowds throughout the ship since so many things started within 15 mins of each other. The production show was at 8, the comedian at 8:15, Tom Frankel was at 8:30. So you really had to pick 1 thing to do.

Friday – cruising to Victoria – the weather was marvelous. Blue skies and about 60 degrees. It was nice enough to walk the deck without jackets. Sales galore going on around the ship and 2 different trivia events. We “won” the early one since the cruise staff member forgot to change his watch and was almost 45 minutes late!! He gave us 17 questions and everyone won a……..lanyard!!! We don’t have plans to disembark in Victoria. At one point we thought we would go to Butchart Gardens, but decided against it. I suppose we will try our luck again at the final Trivia after dinner.

Final observations: I sure would do this cruise again. I agree with many writers – the Star is a beautiful ship with a great crew. It has to be hard on them with a 7 day turn-a-round week after week. I have met many friendly staff, wanting to make our trip pleasant. It would be easier on us if this were at least on a 9 – 10 day cruise. With a 7-day cruise it seems like you just unpack and you are receiving all the disembarkation information!! But I highly recommend this cruise to anyone who is trying to decide if they want to cruise. It is short, a great itinerary and port intensive and sea conditions are generally calm. Good luck to any readers who are traveling later in the summer. I know you will love it. Captain McBain runs a smooth, friendly ship and you cannot beat the beauty of Alaska. I will be happy to answer any specific questions when I return. Thanks to CruzGal for picking up on some of the questions posted regarding the criteria for Most Traveled Passengers.

Although the need for gloves was a little worrisome (colder than Skagway or just more time outside?) very happy that your rain experiences may have come to an end! At least, Ketchikan and Victoria will be warmer? Victoria and Vancouver are both wonderful places to visit (as well as Seattle). Here in Houston we are having too much heat and too little rain (again this year).

Do you have another dress evening Thursday night? My son is somehow going on fishing junkets not only on our long stay in Skagway, but also during the few hours we have in Ketchikan (hope we see him for dinner that night!). Son-in-law and my oldest grandson (12) will do some cruiseline-sponsored zipline experience (they apparently are springing up in many ports, don't know why. The remainder of us, ages 4 to 66 have decided to just take a walk, something we've done before -- although the Allen Marine visit to Mysty Fjords was pleasant, just depending on how your "nature quotient" is doing.

Beyond dinner status (and maybe some comment about the Portofino Dinning Room (we are headed there for 6pm dinners as well) could you comment on length of the days (i.e. when does it actually become dark enough outside that you need lights to see where you are going?). On our June Baltic cruise a couple of years ago, northern regions of Russia, Finland, and Sweden had nights past midnight that were quite bright.

Hope you can put those gloves away now (but please tell us if you use them again).

Hello DJ

Yes, Victoria and Seattle should be warmer. I am packing and have put all outwear in suitcases!! Yesterday in Ketchikan, Michelle said that they had rain for the first time on Wed. after a 2 week heat wave!! She said it really helped to calm the air turbulence for the flights. She said some folks were having a difficult time with all the up and down drafts!!

Thursday night after Ketchikan was the Captain’s Dinner – yes, it was the second formal night.

Kathleen

Could you tell me what drinks are free on the star? Lemonade? Cranberry? Apple? Milk? chocolate milk? I'm traveling with two young kids on the star in one week! Thanks for all the great info you have provided.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Could you tell me what drinks are free on the star? Lemonade? Cranberry? Apple? Milk? chocolate milk? I'm traveling with two young kids on the star in one week! Thanks for all the great info you have provided.

Checked this a m before disembarking. Juices: apple, cranberry, orange, prune, grapefruit, v8, tomato, lemonade, ice tea. Soft drinks you need card or pay as u go. They also can have hot and cold chocolate milk and regular milk. Hope this helps. Have great cruise. There were a lot of kids on cruise, so yours will be in good company.

You noted that one formal night was the first (and only) full day at-sea. When was the second night?

DJ:):)

The second formal night was Thursday after Ketchikan. We sailed at noon. Captain's welcome back party was that night at 7:15.

Your effort was a genuine contribution to those who enjoy the process, or reliving their past experience, but especially for those who have followed who have scheduled (upcoming) cruises in Alaska on the Star!

All of us now have a sense of the temperature range, the port experiences, the dinning issues, and the possibility that grandchildren will have fun (for us, the most important).

We still will follow "predicted" weather, and hope to learn from it! Considering here in Houston we just have "hot" and "much hotter" as well as predicted precipitation that usually doesn't appear (and rarely sometimes appears and of course not predicted!). Looking at the Inside Passage we see how far north, the effects of mountain ranges, and the effect of the ocean to be considered!

Hope you and yours enjoy the balance of the summer, and that all Atlantic storms turn east instead of west this summer.

Cordially,

Your effort was a genuine contribution to those who enjoy the process, or reliving their past experience, but especially for those who have followed who have scheduled (upcoming) cruises in Alaska on the Star!

All of us now have a sense of the temperature range, the port experiences, the dinning issues, and the possibility that grandchildren will have fun (for us, the most important).

We still will follow "predicted" weather, and hope to learn from it! Considering here in Houston we just have "hot" and "much hotter" as well as predicted precipitation that usually doesn't appear (and rarely sometimes appears and of course not predicted!). Looking at the Inside Passage we see how far north, the effects of mountain ranges, and the effect of the ocean to be considered!

Hope you and yours enjoy the balance of the summer, and that all Atlantic storms turn east instead of west this summer.

Cordially,

Hi DJ

have a great trip!! You will love the time spent with your grands. This was a truly memorable trip for me having 3 of mine with me, especially the 18 year old who leaves for college in 6 weeks!! The youngest one (14 yr old) doesn't have an adventurous bone in his body. He didn't even want to do a cruise. But he told me last night the float plane ride was his favorite excursion. So for me, it was a great thrill to see him open his mind and heart to new adventures!! I wish you many happy moments with yours. Just priceless!!

Kathleen

Joyce and Kathleen, I give up. What does duck tape have to do with trivia???:confused:

Hi Meredith

Kinda an inside joke - so don't feel badly you don't understand. On our December Hawaii cruise we played trivia with joyce and Tom - usually 2x day. Carlos had the habit of giving his answers in his "stage whisper"!! We couldn't decide if he was on our team or everyone else's! So we decided the next cruise we would bring the duct tape to improve our odds of winning!! Happy to report he is improving with writing his answers on paper!!!!

Archived