Live From the Star Princess July 6 - 13

shootingstar07

I am from the East Coast and the flight from BWI to Seattle was long, but uneventful. Upon arriving, I did see ground transportation for Princess and HAL for pick up and transportation to several downtown hotels. We did not book Princess transfers because we were not booked in any of their hotels.

I pre-booked Sabra Limo. We were met curbside after getting luggage. The driver was a little late and there was some confusion regarding what door I should be in front of. Cost including tip: $60.

I “purchased” the night through Hotwire and got the Hyatt Olive 8. Very convenient location.

Saturday July 6: weather was beautiful. White puffy clouds and about 65 degrees. Had to make a pilgrimage to Lowells in the Pike Place Market for breakfast. Then back to the hotel to pack and head to Pier 91.

Embarkation: We have 3 cabins – 2 on Caribe and 1 on Dolphin. Embarkation is scheduled by deck with Dolphin at 11 a.m. We were at pier 91 by 10:30. Porters were very busy, so we had to move 3 suitcases and 3 carry-ons with assistance to the luggage drop off area inside the terminal. Then we could proceed to check in. We are platinum and had preferred check-in. Then we went to an area to await to board. We stood about 10 minutes and boarding started about 11:45.

The MDR was not open for lunch and Horizon Court was a zoo. We would have been better off eating at the IC. At times the line to get to the buffet snaked out the door into the covered pool area. Everyone was being asked to use the hand sanitizer before entering. Fare was standard for the Horizon Court – sandwiches, salad bar, soup bar, hot and cold offerings. I like the new HC with the dessert area outside the buffet line.

Crew:

Todd McBain – Captain

Rikard Lorentzen – Staff Captain

Billy London – CD

Eric Baterma - Exec Chef

Angelo Balbiani – Maitre’ D

The life boat drill is scheduled for 3:15 with sail-a-way at 4:00.

Sail-a-way was beautiful with a snow-capped Mt. Ranier visible. Also, great shots of the Seattle skyline as we set off north through the Puget Sound.

For those interested: The ship is sailing full. Of the total number of pax, there are 2331 first time Princess cruisers; 360 Gold; 704 Medallion; 71 Platinums and 15 Elite. The most traveled pax have 296 days with Princess. According to the Captain’s Circle Hostess, last week’s cruise the most traveled passenger had 896 days. Looks like I am invited to the Captain’s Most Traveled Cocktail Party.

Temperatures have dropped. I was just on deck at 8:00 p.m. and it felt like 60 degrees. The Captain said that we will have some moderate seas tonight around midnight and it might affect the first time cruisers.

That is it for tonight. Will check back tomorrow.

Ah, you were fooled by the closed MDR doors on embarkation day. I just got off the Star today. They are a tricky bunch on the Star, the doors were closed last Saturday, but open the doors and it was a staffed dining room that was opened for lunch. I even had crew tell me that the only lunch option was the HC, but I was suspicious. Several tables of cruisers enjoyed the MDR lunch instead of the havoc at the HC. Didn't notice anyone but previous cruisers in the MDR.

On our cruise last month we ran into the same thing with the MDR (Portofino) on embarkation day. The doors were closed at noon but a couple of staff were standing outside. We ***knew*** from this board that it should be open, so my husband asked. They said "yes, we open at noon" then looked at their watch and said "oh, it is noon!" and swung open the doors. We were the first ones in, and over the course of lunch only about 6 tables were occupied. I wonder why they open at all if they keep it a secret.

Just checking in early. Worried about some of these first time pax!!:) Ship has been rolling since around midnight. It is 56 degrees, sunny, but Gale Force winds of 30 knots according to the bridge report. However, for some unknown reason ( I am sure some sailor could chime in here) the seas are just slight - 4 feet. Glad for that. It is still early so not much activity yet.

Will check back in later tonight.

Kathleen

Hi Kathleen,

Thank you so much for posting. As you know we are on board August 10th.

Now I can look forward to being in the top most travelled.

Made it last time on the ship and it was a luncheon. Told Lew with a cocktail party, he now has to bring a suit.I bet Joyce will be the most traveled with all her days.

Who is the Circle Hostess? We were on last Dec. for 30 days

and I am hoping same person.

Please keep posting as I am thoroughly enjoying your reporting.

Have fun with your family.

regards,

Gloria and Lew:D:D

Hi Kathleen!

Enjoy your trip on our favorite ship. Think we have 12 cruises on the Star. We were just on the Star spring time for the South Pacific cruise, Capt McBain was also our Capt. Nice man. Is Terri your HGM? Super nice gal. The Capt, Terri and one other officer got off for vacation in Tahiti, each going to a different island. Lucky them.

The Star has a great crew.....as do all Princess ships, but we have always thought the Star special.

Enjoy the MTP party......

Hi Kathleen,

I am following your blog...then I feel like we are traveling with you guys!!

Have fun! Love ya!

Joyce

Hi Joyce,

can you believe I made the top 40? So surprised. But I do know you mentioned it was possible. Will let you know how cocktail party goes. Might be my first and last for many years to come!! Miss you and Tom. Still sad it didn't work that we could make the Aug. cruise. Off to trivia - got everyone hooked. BTW: Colin age 14 got the answer to the logo/symbol for Bacardi Rum. We are still trying to figure that one out!!!

Love to both of you,

Kathleen

Hi Kathleen,

Thank you so much for posting. As you know we are on board August 10th.

Now I can look forward to being in the top most travelled.

Made it last time on the ship and it was a luncheon. Told Lew with a cocktail party, he now has to bring a suit.I bet Joyce will be the most traveled with all her days.

Who is the Circle Hostess? We were on last Dec. for 30 days

and I am hoping same person.

Please keep posting as I am thoroughly enjoying your reporting.

Have fun with your family.

regards,

Hello Gloria,

the CCH is Barbara Zanetti (sp?) Yes, have Lew pack that suit!! Also some warm clothes. Think we are all going shopping tomorrow in Juneau for sweatshirts. Crazy weather.

Hugs to both of you!!

Kathleen

Hi Joyce,

can you believe I made the top 40? So surprised. But I do know you mentioned it was possible. Will let you know how cocktail party goes. Might be my first and last for many years to come!! Miss you and Tom. Still sad it didn't work that we could make the Aug. cruise. Off to trivia - got everyone hooked. BTW: Colin age 14 got the answer to the logo/symbol for Bacardi Rum. We are still trying to figure that one out!!!

Love to both of you,

Kathleen

I am not surprised as our son & DIL made the top 40 a few years ago on a 7 day Alaska with only 50 days!!

Ask the Capt why he does not do a lunch instead?

Go trivia team (& that is great about Collin knowing the answer!)

Are the cabins working out okay?

Thanks for circle hostess info. Not the one I had before on Star.

We will be packing our sweatshirts.

I have a Down jacket that rolls up in a bag and weighs a few ounces Will take that with me in case it is freezing,and also a lightweight

jacket that I can layer clothes under it.

After our SA trip in December, can pack for any climate. Those lightweight down vests are also really good for layering and weigh nothing to pack(in a little bag too).

Hope you have clear skies on your port days. So looking forward to hearing all about it.

Hope Sunday is good for all (we are off to a matinee at one of our theaters momentarily). Will post this link on our 20 July Roll Call, much thanks.

How did the "active" seas do? Noticeable during dinner? During any first night entertainment (forward)? Walking back need to grab the railing? When did you feel it calm down? By Sunday breakfast?

Good news about lunch. Hope they are still cooperative at 1pm -- will need to check with maitre'd about our table for 10 as well as discuss some folks sensitivity to a broad range of corn-derivitives.

Thanks again,

DJ:)

Archived