Live From the Star Princess July 6 - 13

shootingstar07

Are the cabins working out okay?

Joyce,

cabins working fine. We should all get our new cabin cards at noon today. They said it takes 24 hrs to make the changes. Everyone walking around with 2 cards!! I can't believe size of C312!! D520 a little small for 3 guys. But they are adaptable!! Besides, other than sleeping, never in cabin.

Thanks.

Love,

K

Joyce,

cabins working fine. We should all get our new cabin cards at noon today. They said it takes 24 hrs to make the changes. Everyone walking around with 2 cards!! I can't believe size of C312!! D520 a little small for 3 guys. But they are adaptable!! Besides, other than sleeping, never in cabin.

Thanks.

Love,

K

Enjoy the cruise and your family!! :)

Love you, J

Hi Kathleen!

Enjoy your trip on our favorite ship. Think we have 12 cruises on the Star. We were just on the Star spring time for the South Pacific cruise, Capt McBain was also our Capt. Nice man. Is Terri your HGM? Super nice gal. The Capt, Terri and one other officer got off for vacation in Tahiti, each going to a different island. Lucky them.

The Star has a great crew.....as do all Princess ships, but we have always thought the Star special.

Enjoy the MTP party......

I can see why Star is your favorite ship!! Laid out a little differently and some public spaces (like Skywalkers) in different location. I loved the walk through the little tunnel to S.W. Crew is great. But I am sure this ship would be great on a longer cruise. It must be difficult for the crew to do a turn-a-round in 7 days. They just seem to get to know you and then you are gone. We were schedule to be with you on the Star to Antarctica in 2010 (I think that was the year), but we took a move over. Hope to sail with you one day.

Kathleen

I can see why Star is your favorite ship!! Laid out a little differently and some public spaces (like Skywalkers) in different location. I loved the walk through the little tunnel to S.W. Crew is great. But I am sure this ship would be great on a longer cruise. It must be difficult for the crew to do a turn-a-round in 7 days. They just seem to get to know you and then you are gone. We were schedule to be with you on the Star to Antarctica in 2010 (I think that was the year), but we took a move over. Hope to sail with you one day.

Kathleen

Didn't we sail with you on the Crown.....British Isles I think. Joyce and Tom were with us on that one. We have sailed together but don't remember which one for sure. We have sailed mostly long cruises on the Star.

Sorry for the delay, trying to get back into the swing of things.

It was the Portofino dining room that was "open" for lunch on embarkation day.

We will board after your departure next Saturday. DO you recall how late luncheon is served on first day?

Thanks,

msk1

Hi all, back again. I forgot to mention about the wine issue at boarding. There was a sign at the time of boarding about the “new” Princess wine policy. And at the top of the escalator, there was a table to declare your wine. We decided we would not bother carrying any with us and would order on board. But it did appear they were serious about enforcing the new policy.

Last night we passed on the Princess “warm up” show and went to Trivia instead. Lost by ½ point. The tie breaker was “how many islands in the Philippines at high and low tides”? Better google that one. Of course, the winners received the Princess lanyard. Woo-Hoo!!

Today is formal night and the champagne waterfall along with Captain’s welcome aboard party.

During the day I can chose to play morning trivia or lose 1 to 8 inches in 1 hour. Let’s see …. What will it be? Think trivia wins out since in the later afternoon I can pay to look 10 years younger…today. Wow, guess the fountain of youth still exists.

MUTTS movie today (if you can stand the cold) is “Oz, the Great and Powerful”. Since it will play the following day on TV, I think I will pass.

The show tonight in the Princess theater is British Invasion. We plan on attending and will report back later.

Our naturalist is Michael Modzelewski and tomorrow, in Juneau Libby Riddles will be on board for an hour long talk about her Iditarod trek back in the ‘80’s. We have heard her before, but do think she is interesting.

Also today is the first of “Last Chance” sales!!!

For those interested, laundry room opened on Sat. around 7 p.m. Still open today but I understand it will definitely close while in Alaskan waters. I think they close them tomorrow at 9 p.m. and reopen on Friday. It is tough for those who need clothes for a post-cruise package. I would think the washers/dryers will get a real workout on Friday.

Back from a marvelous night of entertainment. We made the British Invasion show at 8:15. It was jammed packed by 8 p.m. – so get there early. Also, one of the nicer production shows that I have seen. The shorter format is most enjoyable. It gives you a lot of time to move around and sample other venues. As we were heading back through the atrium on deck 7, we passed Crooners Bar and a pianist named Tom Franek was playing. We stopped and thought we would listen to a few songs and then go play some golf in the simulator. He was so good we stayed for over 2 hours. He does a lot of sing-a-longs. When we left, he was playing classical music!! About half way through his show, the CD, Billy London, came in. Now here is a great entertainers. I do believe he might just be one of the best on Princess. It is the first time I have sailed with him and loved his post production show. Then he paired with Tom and they did impersonations ranging from Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra, Tom Jones to Elvis and Willie Nelson. Just fabulous entertainment. If Tom is on board, don’t miss him.

Tomorrow is Juneau. We arrive at 10:30 a.m. We have booked Harv & Marv. Weather right now is foggy, light winds (19 knots) and temps in the mid 50’s. Rain is in the forecast for tomorrow. I had a confirmation email from Harv & Marv that all is go for tomorrow - rain or shine. Let's hope the whales understand and are hungry!!!:D

Will check back tomorrow night.

Kathleen

We will board after your departure next Saturday. DO you recall how late luncheon is served on first day?

Thanks,

msk1

Portofino is open daily for lunch from noon to 1:30. But the Horizon Court was open until the life boat drill at 3:15.

Today we missed the pub lunch in Crown Grill. I know it will be held again on Friday - will try to make that!!!

Hi Kathleen,

Sounds like you are having a wonderful time with your family! We have been on cruises where Tom Franek entertained and agree he is very good. Enjoy the MTP party, they are always fun!!

Our next cruise isn't until February when we will go to Hawaii on the Star. We did the last segment of the World Cruise in April/May from Dubai to Venice and really enjoyed it. Now we are selling the house and moving to a condo and then have a land trip with all the family in November to look forward to.

We hope to go back to Alaska next summer.

Hope the whales cooperate today for your excursion:)

Gail

Said you were scheduled to arrive in Juneau at 10:30? Was this the scheduled time or a change after boarding? Our 20 July cruise is scheduled to arrive Juneau at 11:00, and this is a revision from a later posted arrival time. We go to Juneau Whale Watch at 11:30, so its going to be close (please feedback on your time on tour and if you see the Allen Marine catamaran or a Juneau Whale Watch vessel.

Hoping you have better weather now and in Skagway.

When able, could you comment on changes in water conditions over Saturday/Sunday and when Inside Passage relative calm became the norm?

DJ:)

Said you were scheduled to arrive in Juneau at 10:30? Was this the scheduled time or a change after boarding? Our 20 July cruise is scheduled to arrive Juneau at 11:00, and this is a revision from a later posted arrival time. We go to Juneau Whale Watch at 11:30, so its going to be close (please feedback on your time on tour and if you see the Allen Marine catamaran or a Juneau Whale Watch vessel.

When able, could you comment on changes in water conditions over Saturday/Sunday and when Inside Passage relative calm became the norm?

That's interesting. I'm on the Coral in August and we get into Juneau at 8am. What time do you leave?

That's interesting. I'm on the Coral in August and we get into Juneau at 8am. What time do you leave?

We (10) are on the same ship that Kathleen is on, and I thought that for the most part, the schedules for its 7-day RT Seattle cruises would be about the same (taking into account I guess issues such as other ships in port, etc.).

Our Saturday 20 July (4:00pm departure)Cruise Schedule is posted:

Sunday 21 July At Sea

Monday 22 July Juneau (11am/10pm)

Tuesday 23 July Skagway (6am/8:15pm)

Wednesday 24 July Glacier Bay (6am/3pm)

Thursday 25 July Ketchikan (7am/12:30pm)

Friday 26 July Victoria (7pm/11:59pm)

Saturday 27 July Seattle (6:30am)

As you see, RT Seattle (Glacier Bay, Skagway) provides little time at Ketchikan and Victoria. RT Vancouver excludes Victoria and provides more standard visits of Ketchikan.

Its great to get feedback from a pioneer, great information ahead for fellow travelers who will follow!

Hi Kathleen,

I just found your "live" and am enjoying reading it. We love Alaska and have been there 6 times. :) There is always something new and different happening. Have also been on whale watching trips with Harv & Marv. They are the best and I hope you see lots of whales. Hello to Carlos!!:D

Meredith

Hi all ~ I wanted to thank you for sharing your trip with us. I am addicted to everyone's post about the voyage and feel like I am on the boat. Can someone please post the must items to wear on the trip? Gloves? hat? I am currently packing and want to be check with you all. Thank you!! Safe travels & beautiful weather for you all.

Has anyone hand the chance to particiapate or have heard anything about the captains table meal on the Star. I know its several courses and lots of wine how can that be bad.

Any feedback would be appreciated

Thanks

Doug & Patty

Has anyone hand the chance to particiapate or have heard anything about the captains table meal on the Star. I know its several courses and lots of wine how can that be bad.

Any feedback would be appreciated

Thanks

Doug & Patty

I think you mean the Chef's Table?

If you have never tried it, you must.

Do a search on Chef's Table and you will get a lot of information.

On our 28 day Tahiti cruise in March, it was so popular that they did 5 of them. (12 people per) We had a fun group the night we did it. Way too much food - don't eat anything all day!

Enjoy

Kathleen

Hi Kathleen. We love the Star, too. Took her for 30 days around the Horn to SFO a couple of years ago. Also a Baltic and an Alaska cruise. We're going to try the Emerald for the next two cruises.

Enjoy the Alaska cruise - wishing you good weather. Janeen says "Hi"

Howard

Hello Kathleen,

Talked this afternoon to Princess rep (don't know which one of us was most entertained) -- her answer to "wine package" was that they are not offered on 7-night cruises. Guess it is a question best answered by previous experience. Apparently we have an extra $100 OBC that I would like to go towards wine at dinner. If it is expensive, maybe we will focus on the two (?) formal nights, which I assume are second night (Sunday; day at sea) and either Wednesday (Glacier Bay) or Thursday (Ketchikan morning).

Your walk-around Sunday and today's arrival/departure from Juneau should have given you an idea of passenger composition. My thought is a lot of children and extended families? Your observations? How bundled up are the kids and what's it like standing on a balcony? (REALLY enjoy a balcony in the Mediterranean and the Caribbean in the winter!)

Seems like Juno is in 50s, Skagway maybe 60, Ketchikan warmer and Seattle now in low 70s. Look forward to your next posting.

The captain said we would be in port around 10:30. The original itinerary said 11. But it took more than 30 minutes to clear the ship and pax started getting off.

Archived