Solo Cruiser's Roll Call

42CruiseCrazy

I too cancelled two trips, W.Med (NCL Haven) and Alaska (Suite) so sad.

But YAY I just booked: Dec 5 NCL NY to Puerto Rico - Studio cabin. Good value I think ends today, use two cruisenext deposits.

Hopefully 2021 my friends!

54 minutes ago, farmersfight said:

Is this on the Epic? And, how long is the cruise? Just curious. Thanks.

Yes, NCL EPIC, sorry i should have stated. I dont often see the promo to use two deposits. 

Hope to see some of you soon!

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, GTVCRUISER said:

Cruised solo on the Fantasy one time out of NOLA .......SAD 😞 

fantasysad9-4-20.JPG

Thanks for posting this picture GTVCRUISER. I agree, very SAD 😢. I cruised on Fantasy's next younger sister - Ecstasy twice. Once out of Miami when she was brand new then again out of Galveston quite a few years later.

When I cruised Ecstasy out of Miami, she was at the time considered Carnival's newest and largest cruise ships. Wow, have times changed. When I later cruised again on Ecstasy out of Galveston, she was relegated (due to her older age and smaller size) to the shorter 4-5 day cruises instead of the normal 7 day cruises.

When I first cruised Ecstasy out of Miami, I remember that her interior public spaces (especially the atrium/lobby) was very glitzy. I guess that was the "thing" for Carnival back then. Much later when I cruised on Ecstasy out of Galveston, Carnival really toned down the glitz on the interior public spaces. Also, Carnival added balconies on both sides midships and wrapped around the stern:

https://www.carnival.com/~/media/Images/Ships/EC/carnival-ecstasy-1.jpg

We actually stayed in one of these "new" balcony staterooms on our 5 day cruise to Mexico (out of Galveston). It was me, my wife and my 2 sons all in the same stateroom. Needless to say, it was tight quarters (but we managed).

Again, thanks for posting that sad picture of Ecstasy's older sister.

Edited by farmersfight

22 hours ago, GTVCRUISER said:

I cruised on the Ecstasy one time out of Long Beach , Ca 

ecstasy04postcard.jpg

Thanks for posting these pictures. I see the Ecstasy before they "welded on" the additional balconies (looked much better imho). Nice picture with the showgirl btw - I'd have a smile on my face also!

1 hour ago, MidwesternCruiser2 said:

Ecstasy and Fantasy were my first two cruises with Carnival.

Probably a lot of others who can say the same.

I never made it on to Fantasy but as I posted above, I did cruise on Ecstasy twice. Talk about "glitzy", as I recall when these two first started service, the Fantasy was even more "glitzy" than her younger sister Ecstasy.

As far as being scrapped, it looks like Inspiration is next and also it looks like Imagination and Fascination are following suit. The Fantasy-class ships are really being depleted. Sad.

https://cruiseradio.net/another-carnival-cruise-line-ship-to-be-scrapped/

52 minutes ago, farmersfight said:

I never made it on to Fantasy but as I posted above, I did cruise on Ecstasy twice. Talk about "glitzy", as I recall when these two first started service, the Fantasy was even more "glitzy" than her younger sister Ecstasy.

As far as being scrapped, it looks like Inspiration is next and also it looks like Imagination and Fascination are following suit. The Fantasy-class ships are really being depleted. Sad.

https://cruiseradio.net/another-carnival-cruise-line-ship-to-be-scrapped/

It is kind of sad, but as long as they don't turn out mega ships only, it'll be ok...I'm not a fan of those huge, high capacity boats.

Your post made me wonder which CCL ship I'd sailed most.  Imagination and Triumph tied at three each, followed by Victory, Freedom and Fantasy twice each.  Not sure I have a favorite, but remember thinking Paradise needed some help when I sailed her in 2016, so I was glad to see she got a refurb a couple years later.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, MidwesternCruiser2 said:

It is kind of sad, but as long as they don't turn out mega ships only, it'll be ok...I'm not a fan of those huge, high capacity boats.

Your post made me wonder which CCL ship I'd sailed most.  Imagination and Triumph tied at three each, followed by Victory, Freedom and Fantasy twice each.  Not sure I have a favorite, but remember thinking Paradise needed some help when I sailed her in 2016, so I was glad to see she got a refurb a couple years later.

Wow, and I thought I cruised with Carnival a lot (only 3 cruises - cruised on Carnival Dream in the Med when she was brand new). You're a Carnival vet!

I will be on Norwegian Epic on 20/11/21 (with a little luck). This will be my second cruise, but my first TA and my first solo.  I will be 49 when I embark.  I have wanted to do a transatlantic crossing for years, and my current budget doesn’t run to the Queen Mary 2. Perhaps one day.

I struggle to relax on vacation, and one of the things I am looking forward to is the opportunity to decompress, by virtue of having no alternative.   Not all of the ports appeal to me, so I am looking forward to some compulsory “me time” and staring wistfully out across the ocean.  Of course, it will be nice to pass the time with other people while I’m doing that!

1 hour ago, farmersfight said:

Wow, and I thought I cruised with Carnival a lot (only 3 cruises - cruised on Carnival Dream in the Med when she was brand new). You're a Carnival vet!

I've been doing this a while and most of my cruises are with Carnival, but Holland is catching up.  Also sail Royal and NCL when they have itineraries and prices I like.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, GrumpyGreyWizard said:

I will be on Norwegian Epic on 20/11/21 (with a little luck). This will be my second cruise, but my first TA and my first solo.  I will be 49 when I embark.  I have wanted to do a transatlantic crossing for years, and my current budget doesn’t run to the Queen Mary 2. Perhaps one day.

I struggle to relax on vacation, and one of the things I am looking forward to is the opportunity to decompress, by virtue of having no alternative.   Not all of the ports appeal to me, so I am looking forward to some compulsory “me time” and staring wistfully out across the ocean.  Of course, it will be nice to pass the time with other people while I’m doing that!

Impressive to do your first solo as a TA!
Hope you love it lots!

My boat was 56’ from end to end, and basically 6’ wide and high. Probably around 40’ living space but I was quit happy there on my own, well myself plus two dogs anyway. It taught me how unimportant “things” are, and years later I still have very few personal possessions.

You can get wider and longer boats, but my boat was the largest size that could travel along all the connected inland waterways in England and Wales.  I loved the life. It was bohemian and relatively carefree. Most of all, it was the sort of lifestyle which attracted faintly disapproving looks from “respectable folk”.

I live in a small house now, but I’m pleased to say I have avoided becoming respectable.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, GrumpyGreyWizard said:

My boat was 56’ from end to end, and basically 6’ wide and high. Probably around 40’ living space but I was quit happy there on my own, well myself plus two dogs anyway. It taught me how unimportant “things” are, and years later I still have very few personal possessions.

You can get wider and longer boats, but my boat was the largest size that could travel along all the connected inland waterways in England and Wales.  I loved the life. It was bohemian and relatively carefree. Most of all, it was the sort of lifestyle which attracted faintly disapproving looks from “respectable folk”.

I live in a small house now, but I’m pleased to say I have avoided becoming respectable.

Such a lovely & enjoyable tale! But it nakes me think your 'grumpy' moniker is not so accurate :-}

3 hours ago, GrumpyGreyWizard said:

5 hours ago, MidwesternCruiser2 said:

I'd love to cruise with both of you!