lectures on board

cbb

We've been on many O cruises and haven't heard many guest lecturers. We heard 2 great ones on Crystal before going through the Panama Canal.

There have been so many ports that I wish we'd had a lecture on; architecture, religion, art, military history, etc. I know that I'm an old history teacher but surely I'm not the only one that would like a really cool lecture on something that we will see the next day.

Perhaps they could even do a "lunch bunch" lecture before we got into a port later in the day.

I do tons of research on my own and bore Mr Wonderful with it, but man, I can't even begin to do justice to some of the places we've been. Even if you have a guide sometimes it's just not enough!

We've been on many O cruises and haven't heard many guest lecturers. We heard 2 great ones on Crystal before going through the Panama Canal.

There have been so many ports that I wish we'd had a lecture on; architecture, religion, art, military history, etc. I know that I'm an old history teacher but surely I'm not the only one that would like a really cool lecture on something that we will see the next day.

Perhaps they could even do a "lunch bunch" lecture before we got into a port later in the day.

I do tons of research on my own and bore Mr Wonderful with it, but man, I can't even begin to do justice to some of the places we've been. Even if you have a guide sometimes it's just not enough!

We enjoy the Lectures also, but the Panama Canal is hardly a fair basis for comparison, because the Lecturers can so easily switch ships mid stream, so to speak, and there is ALWAYS another ship to transfer to. A well organized individual could easily speak on five different ships during a given week, and many do just that.

On a "normal" Cruise, the Lecturer gets a free cruise in a passenger cabin, plus whatever stipend they get for "performing", so particularly on the smaller ships, it isn't cost effective unless the person in question is prepared to give a SERIES of Lectures.

People who can Lecture at that level don't grow on trees, which is one reason why there are not as many lectures as we might like.

We did the Panama in April on Regatta and were very pleased to have knowledgeable and approachable lecturers who did justice to the trip's ports and all aspects of life around them. Given the limited time span for a lecture, it may be difficult to cover in depth the expanse of subjects that you would like covered. We have always found the lectures to be informative, often entertaining, and mostly educational on Oceania's ships. I hope you will find the same result in your future travels.

Understand what you're saying JimandStan.

Don't you think on some of the Med cruises a lecturer could give a series of talk? I'm thinking between Ephesus and Athens there could be a great series and anything that includes Rome, Venice, and Florence could be another great series.

Just wish more experts could be on board some of these cruises. I could listen in comfort! (perhaps with a snack or adult beverage!)

I'm a history buff. On most of our Oceania cruises I have been very happy with the guest lecturers. In particular two on our Miami to Barcelona TA in April were excellent. One was a marine biologist who conducted 6 lectures and the other a history prof from UNC who held 7 on European explorers.

It appears that my "problem" is that I've only traveled on Nautica, Regatta & Insignia; I guess I need to try the larger ships. Itinerary rules at my house so I just have to find one for the bigger ships

It appears that my "problem" is that I've only traveled on Nautica, Regatta & Insignia; I guess I need to try the larger ships. Itinerary rules at my house so I just have to find one for the bigger ships

Not true

We had 3 fabulous lecturers on the May 21 day Dubai to Rome cruise on Nautica. One was promoted in their advertising (a quite famous White House reporter who hadcovered many Presidents --name escapes me -- he had gret stories to tell), another was an expert on the politics of the Middle East, and the third was the Jordanian jewelry designer who had a degree in Architecture who lectured on art, architecture and the Arabic language. She also taught Arabic classes and those classes were immensely popular. IMO this was the best group of lecturers on any O cruise I have taken thus far.

We don't always attend the lectures in person as sometimes we prefer not to waste the daytime hours indoors. It's great that they are offered as reruns LOL on the TV.

There are some good lecturers on the small ship also just depends on who they get & what they talk about

One lady we had I had to leave she was sooooo boring

Then tried to watch her on the tv & fell asleep

Sometimes you wonder where they find these people & same with some of the entertainers :D

Lyn

There are some good lecturers on the small ship also just depends on who they get & what they talk about

One lady we had I had to leave she was sooooo boring

Then tried to watch her on the tv & fell asleep

Sometimes you wonder where they find these people & same with some of the entertainers :D

Lyn

Completely agree

Some are awful

I was so pleasantly surprised on our recent cruise by the quality of the lecturers. I think i expect little -- which is good -- so I am not disappointed.

Doesn't matter the size of the ship - Oceania has provided some great lecturers when we have sailed on the Nautica -- Australia/New Zealand; Captetown to Singapore to name just two.

They were interesting and in one case funny also. So, I think it may be the area in which you are sailing that there may not be one or not one to your liking. Arlene

Jim /Stan... FYI I have several friends who are guest lecturers. The cruise lines book them through an agency like actors. They get a cabin but have to pay travel costs to and from as well as $75 a day commission to the agency per day. They can bring a partner of their choosing. My friend was required to give 6 lectures over 14 days on sea days.

While it sounds good it does cost them and not totally free ride unless you are a cleb of some stature. I cruised with Regent and they had Paul Williams as our entertainmemt, They gave him a penthouse ( next to me) and a free cruise.... but he was the exception to the norm.

Jim /Stan... FYI I have several friends who are guest lecturers. The cruise lines book them through an agency like actors. They get a cabin but have to pay travel costs to and from as well as $75 a day commission to the agency per day. They can bring a partner of their choosing

Yes, I was aware of those restrictions as our Dentist, of all people, is a card carrying client of a similar Agency, but I was couching my response more from the prospective of the Cabin not earning income for the Cruise Line.

Jim /Stan... FYI I have several friends who are guest lecturers. The cruise lines book them through an agency like actors. They get a cabin but have to pay travel costs to and from as well as $75 a day commission to the agency per day. They can bring a partner of their choosing. My friend was required to give 6 lectures over 14 days on sea days.

While it sounds good it does cost them and not totally free ride unless you are a cleb of some stature. I cruised with Regent and they had Paul Williams as our entertainmemt, They gave him a penthouse ( next to me) and a free cruise.... but he was the exception to the norm.

Who is Paul Williams?

We thoroughly enjoyed the Star Lady on our Panama Canal cruise year before last. Both she and her husband lectured. She talked astronomy and he gave various lectures about history and geography, primarily. We spent several fun evenings with her on deck (with an adult beverage) searching for the "green flash." I hope to see her on another O cruise one day (I never did see that elusive "green flash" - maybe too much adult beverage?).:D

Wow, all of these people have had great lecturers. I haven't ocean-sailed since late 2011 so clearly there are now lectures to listen to.

Thanks everyone!

Re green flash: as the sun sets, don't blink because it happens just that fast. It is pretty incredible to see.

Who is Paul Williams?

Well see he is an Actor from the Loved One to Smokey and the Bandit,

He is a singer , composer and writer, Things like " an old fashioned love song" and movie scores.. Muppets come to mind.

Has tons of grammy and academy awards for his music also a lot of TV credits...

On top of that he is a real fun guy to hang with....

Do a search and be informed/ impressed.

We enjoy the Lectures also, but the Panama Canal is hardly a fair basis for comparison, because the Lecturers can so easily switch ships mid stream, so to speak, and there is ALWAYS another ship to transfer to. A well organized individual could easily speak on five different ships during a given week, and many do just that.

On a "normal" Cruise, the Lecturer gets a free cruise in a passenger cabin, plus whatever stipend they get for "performing", so particularly on the smaller ships, it isn't cost effective unless the person in question is prepared to give a SERIES of Lectures.

People who can Lecture at that level don't grow on trees, which is one reason why there are not as many lectures as we might like.

The vast majority of ship board lecturers don't get a stipend at all. They pay a small amount--say, $65 per day--and are allowed to bring one guest with them, Air fare to the port of embarkation is your responsibility, as are (usually) alcoholic beverages and all other personal expenditures--laundry, gratuities, etc. And finally, you have to pay your way back from the last port of call on the cruise. So, something of a small bargain to the lecturer, but hardly a gift. This applies to generalists, though if you are a celebrity, or sufficiently notorious, you will get paid and probably awarded a suite.

Alas, both sufficient fame and notoriety have eluded me.

... This applies to generalists, though if you are a celebrity, or sufficiently notorious, you will get paid and probably awarded a suite.

Alas, both sufficient fame and notoriety have eluded me.

The most famous celebrity I have seen on an O cruise on board to make presentations was staying in a Concierge stateroom. The first time we met was face to face, me getting on the elevator as he was exiting, the best I could do, trying to remain composed, was mumble something incoherent in surprise. I am sure he has heard exactly the same thing before. The next day when we passed in a passageway I babbled something very similar I am sure.

We thoroughly enjoyed the Star Lady on our Panama Canal cruise year before last. Both she and her husband lectured. She talked astronomy and he gave various lectures about history and geography, primarily. We spent several fun evenings with her on deck (with an adult beverage) searching for the "green flash." I hope to see her on another O cruise one day (I never did see that elusive "green flash" - maybe too much adult beverage?).:D

We too remember the Star Lady (and you and your Cabana companions too but that is another story :) ) A very enthusiastic lecturer who spent a great deal of time in that role both giving lectures in the lounge but also taking time several evenings to give sessions on deck pointing out the special sites we could see being that far south. That extra effort was very much appreciated.

When I first read that there would be stargazing lectures I was very much looking forward to them. I had been very disappointed when on previous TA's with the shipboard lighting there was never a dark place to see the heavens. I have wonderful memories from my youth of family vacations to local islands when at night the sky glow with Milky Way. For a city boy it was an awe inspiring sight. I could gaze upward for hours and hoped to revisit that.

I thought a transatlantic would be perfect but despite the occasional request there was never a 'lights out' anywhere on deck.

So when I saw that the Star Lady would be lecturing I eagerly anticipated the opportunity to once again see the sky brilliantly illuminated. Unfortunately apparently even she did not have the pull to have even an area briefly darkened. Her lectures were still good and we enjoyed our time on deck with the group but it was something I still much missed.

We looked at other cruises that apparently do a lights out so there is still is a light of hope on the horizon (pun intended.)

In general we have had interesting and very knowledgeable lectures on all our O cruises. I am hoping there will be a naturalist of some sort on our upcoming Alaska cruise.

On our last trip on the Riveria my wife had a great time in the artists loft. She painted a number of pictures and in the end they had a party with drinks to showcase the art of all. We will be on the Riveria in March for two weeks. Celebrity has the same trip and as Elite we get very good perks. We chose Oceania because my wife can not wait to paint again. These things do help the line bring people back.

Archived