MDR Dress Code - How Strict?

jesscruiser

We just came off of our first cruise (the Valor) a few weeks ago. DH is not a "dresser upper" per se; however he would wear dark khakis and a polo shirt on non formal nights and dress pants, a dress shirt and a tie on the formal nights. We used the opportunity to get great photos of the two if us....I was worried that his attire wasn't going to be classy enough; however, it turned out to be fine!!!! The worst thing we encountered in the MDR was the fist fighting, extension-pulling smack down between two grown women. And if memory serves me correctly, this occurred on the second formal night! Now that's class!!

LOL - were they filming an Episode of Real Housewives of New Jersey? :D

I'm from NJ - I can watch that show and be embarrassed by it at the same time! Those people are NOT real New Jersey people, even though they live here :D

On the contrary I am a boomer. I simply don't tolerate others making judgments about what I should or shouldn't do.

Also a Boomer - and I hate it when the police make judgements when I am driving over the speed limit. :cool:

As much as I love CCL, I think they really need to drop the so-called "elegant night". It's just not working because the bar has been lowered so much and many people simply don't know how to dress properly for a given occasion. While certainly it will not detract from my enjoying a nice meal, it's just disappointing to see the lack of social graces and refinement that has become all too common. Some people spend more time trying to do the minimum, or get away with things, rather than taking pride in presenting themselves properly. I just don't understand how someone could think that khakis or jeans with a button-down shirt is "elegant". The sophistication of an elegant or formal night was lost some time ago, I'm sad to say.

LOL - perhaps they ought to call it "Dress Up if You Feel Like it Night." Quite frankly, I think they do it to sell photos of people who will get pictures taken, because they are dressed up - mixed in with a bit of tradition of the sea and all that.

I, too, wish we - as a society - weren't throwing out all those social graces, niceties, refinement and elegance for the sake of comfort. But who knows - these things are a revolving door and perhaps it will come around again. Perhaps it makes more sense in a modern world.

We go to Bermuda often, and there used to be a lot of elegance and grace. Most restaurants required a jacket AND tie for dinner. Even the Hog Penny Pub requested a jacket.

Now I think there are only one or two that require dress more formal than "Smart Casual." DH was always resigned to taking and wearing the jacket and tie for dinner, but he was quite glad to see it go.

Oddly enough - he misses the elegance - but not the tie. We ate in the Four Ways Inn - one of those elegant restaurants - a few years back. There was a time that they would bring a finger bowl after the meal - ladies got a flower and gentlemen a slice of lemon. I thought it was a delightful custom and made me feel very elegant, indeed.

We didn't get one on this visit, so we asked about it. The waiter told us, sadly, that they had to stop because most people didn't know what it was for. They thought it was strange soup served for dessert. True story.

I'm all for comfort. I don't wear heels anymore, but my flip flop/sandals all have spangles and sparkles on them. I wear them with a long black chiffon pants-pretending-to-be-a-skirt thing - you can't see my shoes. ;) It has panels to cover up the pants and they flutter out when I walk, making me feel very elegant and comfortable at the same time. I wear it with a beaded top and I'm ready for the ball.

I think you can be elegant and comfortable at the same time.

DH, on the other hand, wore a dress shirt and khakis - no tie. He was happy. We were the odd couple, but no one at the door gave us a second glance.

I like men in a nice suit or a tux. I think it makes them look handsome. But it's not worth arguing about. Life's too short.

I can honestly say, that I didn't really notice much what other people were wearing. I DID see a lot of nicely dressed people in line for the photos and wandering the promenade deck. I don't recall any tuxedos. I did see a lot of long dresses.

My sister and dressed up for the steak house - not like elegant night - but slacks and sparkly tops. The hostess thanked us - so I think they appreciate it.

Our cruise was out of NY - perhaps that makes a difference. IDK. I DO know that our maitre 'd gave a little dress code talk on several occasions during the cruise, so I imagine he was turning people away at the door. I had my back to the door, so I couldn't see.

If the OP is sailing on the Splendor out of NY - I think you will be eating in the Lido Buffet on Elegant Night.

I have. But I inquired about how strict it was.

You've made this crystal clear in all of your posts. As you seem to be aware, quite a few posters here have a very difficult time comprehending what they are reading. Just even more confirms my belief that that majority of schools today are far better than they were in the past. The youth of today (majority) are doing work in school far greater than their parents did. It shows as the adults here really struggle to understand what is written.

Fantastic job on the responses despite the frustration of having to deal with some that are reading “challenged”.

I like the suggestion of dark/black jeans with a button down shirt. That and maybe have your husband try and sneak past the goalie quickly ;) because enforcement of the no-jean thing is hit or miss.

After reading this thread I can only conclude that the thread starter should have posed the question: "MDR Dress Code- How Lax?"

FWIW, I side with the " no ball caps, saggin' pants or exposed arm pits" camp for the men at dinner and all the gals prefer "sparkly tops." The way some of the ladies write about their "sparkly tops" I expect them to end the sentence with "jazz hands." :)

Ugh, another dress code thread. Popcorn with extra butter for me. People are always available to press the envelope, why not make life easy for once and just follow the rules.

After 7 pages to this thread NOW you want popcorn? We're already at the following day's lunch by now. ;)

JH put a comment /question from a recent pax on his FB page this morning -- apparently 2 of this pax's table mates brought their "Big Gulp" monster mugs to the table with them on elegant night.

Seems as if a lot of folks these days are lacking in decorum. Big Gulps in the MDR are not going to ruin my cruise, even if they are at my table, but pretty tacky.

After reading this thread I can only conclude that the thread starter should have posed the question: "MDR Dress Code- How Lax?"

FWIW, I side with the " no ball caps, saggin' pants or exposed arm pits" camp for the men at dinner and all the gals prefer "sparkly tops." The way some of the ladies write about their "sparkly tops" I expect them to end the sentence with "jazz hands." :)

Lol! I have to agree about the "sparkly tops". What's up with that?

I asked this question a few years back - no takers, what is it with the "sparkly tops'? What makes them cruise 'elegant'? When did this become so? Would 'sparkly" pants also be 'cruise elegant'?

I really would like to know.

I really am not stressing. He just prefers jeans. Nothing about any deep rooted power play lol. It really isn't a big deal. If When I get on the Conquest in New Orleans, and on elegant night I see people not adhereing to the dress code and Carnival is seating them all anyway, DH and I will eat in the MDR. If they are strict and enforcing them, then hey no big deal either.

Hubby, who is in sales and must wear suits/ties/dress shirts all year long refuses to dress up for a relaxed Caribbean cruise. He wear black dress jeans with a nice silk short sleeve button up Tommy Bahama type shirt. And nice dress sandals with closed toe. Sails past the fashion police every time, even on Elegant night.

:)

LOL Jazz hands. That is so funny. I however no matter how nice I dress will not wear sparkly tops. I don't care for anything bedazzled lol.

I wish Carnival would turn every nighly dinner into "Elegant Night" - I LOVE to wear sweatpants and casual clothes....but dressing up for dinner with my family turns it into a special occasion and makes the our vacation even more expectional!!

You've made this crystal clear in all of your posts. As you seem to be aware, quite a few posters here have a very difficult time comprehending what they are reading. Just even more confirms my belief that that majority of schools today are far better than they were in the past. The youth of today (majority) are doing work in school far greater than their parents did. It shows as the adults here really struggle to understand what is written.

Fantastic job on the responses despite the frustration of having to deal with some that are reading “challenged”.

I like the suggestion of dark/black jeans with a button down shirt. That and maybe have your husband try and sneak past the goalie quickly ;) because enforcement of the no-jean thing is hit or miss.

I need to look and see if he has black jeans! Which is something I should probably know already lol!

I wish Carnival would turn every nighly dinner into "Elegant Night" - I LOVE to wear sweatpants and casual clothes....but dressing up for dinner with my family turns it into a special occasion and makes the our vacation even more expectional!!

I know some people love it! My family are the more that doesn't lol. Even as girly as I seem to think I am, compared to most I guess I am not. I wear very little makeup each day, don't care to wear any jewelry besides a ring or two and my earrings, most of which is costume lol. I swear trolls steal my earrings after a glass of wine or two!!!

Bwahaha -- jazz hands!

I think I might just try that the next time I enter MDR on elegant night!:D

I know some people love it! My family are the more that doesn't lol. Even as girly as I seem to think I am, compared to most I guess I am not. I wear very little makeup each day, don't care to wear any jewelry besides a ring or two and my earrings, most of which is costume lol. I swear trolls steal my earrings after a glass of wine or two!!!

What does your family usually wear to a nice wedding? Maybe that could work!

What does your family usually wear to a nice wedding? Maybe that could work!

The last and only two weddings I have ever went to, I was a bridesmaid lol, so I wore my bridesmaid dress lol. DH was at neither. He was out of the country, working. Once in Brazil, and once in Africa.

- apparently 2 of this pax's table mates brought their "Big Gulp" monster mugs to the table with them on elegant night.

This is Carnival's fault. Have you tried to get drinks in the MDR? Absolutely brutal.

If you like no drinks during your meal you're fine, but if you want a liquid, good luck. Bring it/buy it at a bar and bring it in is the only sure way to get it.

Lol! I have to agree about the "sparkly tops". What's up with that?

I asked this question a few years back - no takers, what is it with the "sparkly tops'? What makes them cruise 'elegant'? When did this become so? Would 'sparkly" pants also be 'cruise elegant'?

I really would like to know.

LOL - I LOVE my sparkly tops! Some are elegant with beads and sparkles and others are just t-shirts with a bit of bling.

Sparkly pants? Not so much :D - I prefer black pants or sometimes white ones.

Love this. Definitely a control issue thing. Never looked at it that way.

I don't understand this mentality - nearly always amongst men - that putting on a pair of slacks is some horrible thing. My personal theory is that it's a control issue usually rooted in misogyny. Generally, throughout a mans life, it's women who try to get him to dress up, and some men send a message to the women in their lives that they will NOT be told what to do. This being "uncomfortable" excuse just gives them some cover to be stubborn and refuse to do what their mother/grandmother/wife/aunt/daughter/girlfriend want. What's worse, in nearly all cases they have learned this behavior from their boorish father/older brother/grandfather/uncle. Usually, they don't even realize this behavior is actually happening and would deny it.

How do I know this? I'm a thirty year old man who used to say the same things until I realized what was going on.

I say suck it up, be a grown man, and make the extremely small effort to try to look slightly more presentable, so that the cruise line can try to at least attempt a classy evening. And in doing so, allow other people, particularly the women in your own life, to enjoy themselves. (Obviously you are having to stress out about this, which is unfair, and you are dressing nice enough yourself.) I found that doing something small like dressing up nicer for people is enjoyable and makes my night better.

This is Carnival's fault. Have you tried to get drinks in the MDR? Absolutely brutal.

If you like no drinks during your meal you're fine, but if you want a liquid, good luck. Bring it/buy it at a bar and bring it in is the only sure way to get it.

Never had a problem getting a drink during dinner....alcoholic, soda, or water - never a problem on this end.

The last and only two weddings I have ever went to, I was a bridesmaid lol, so I wore my bridesmaid dress lol. DH was at neither. He was out of the country, working. Once in Brazil, and once in Africa.

Leave him home:eek:

If associating attire to class, economic status or intelligence was retroactive to Bethlehem then Joseph and Mary would have missed the lobster.

"Waiters, it's showtime."

While the attire worn has absolutely nothing to do with the class a person has, the ability to follow rules without having to be told to do so has everything to do with class!

Archived