MDR Dress Code - How Strict?

jesscruiser

It is indeed your vacation...and if your version of "not dressing up" falls within Carnival rules, then great :) If not...it being your vacatioin has nothing to do with it.

As per Carnival FAQ

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats.

Well said.

Personally, the jeans don't bother me, but when I see baseball caps in any dining room, I want to shout "Tacky, tacky, tacky! Where were you raised?" :o

What does what they are serving have to do with the dress code? What do you call upscale?

I know. I wear a dress every night, nothing fancy, but I don't want to miss the mdr just because he wants to wear jeans lol. I mean c'mon. They are serving ribs and the waiters sing and dance. Not exactly upscale lol. A d I know there are people who love the super formal dining (my mom lol) but I can see my spouses point lol.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

As they should. Guess my sarcasm didn't go over well...LOL

LOL...don't forget....people post looking for confirmation of their already made up minds :) They see any response thats in their favour as being exactly that...all sarcasm removed lol ;)

well I guess its a straight trade-off between only considering one's self or courtesy to all passengers. Elegant night means no shorts, no cut offs, no T-shirts no jeans -- in short no casual wear. Don't want to do that? Eat at the buffet that night. Yes it is a vacation and he gets to dress nicely and accompany his spouse -- he should show more pride in both himself and you. However he wraps up his excuse, its simply bad manners to both the other guests but mostly to you.

I don't care about accents, how much money someone does or does not earn, their skin colour, race or gender, or where they shop but I do find bad manners to be inexcusable and a sign of ignorance regardless who demonstrates them (you can cut and paste my comment and add to the threads on chair hogs too which is where this also occurs most frequently).

What does what they are serving have to do with the dress code? What do you call upscale?

I eat upscale restaurants all the time (him in jeans) and nope they aren't serving ribs and french fries and the waiters don't sing and dance. I know jeans aren't allowed on elegant night, I am just asking if carnival is strict about it. If we decided to go and we are turned away, oh well. Definitely wont be embarrassed. I personally don't see what the big deal is, but I know it is a rule, so again I asked because different places have different rules and many times they are not enforced, so I wanted to know about carnival specifically. I know it says no jeans, but heck his jeans are nicer and more expensive than any slacks/khakis he owns. Which to me, jeans are a broad spectrum of pants lol. Some jeans are a lot nicer than others lol

My spouse and I are going to take a cruise, but he absolutly hates to wear anything but his jeans. He does not want to put on khakis or anything like that. He says he is on vacation and the nicest he will wear to the dining room on elegant night is his jeans and lacoste polo. If he can't eat, oh well he says. Do they allow jeans?

Leave him home.

well I guess its a straight trade-off between only considering one's self or courtesy to all passengers. Elegant night means no shorts, no cut offs, no T-shirts no jeans -- in short no casual wear. Don't want to do that? Eat at the buffet that night. Yes it is a vacation and he gets to dress nicely and accompany his spouse -- he should show more pride in both himself and you. However he wraps up his excuse, its simply bad manners to both the other guests but mostly to you.

I don't care about accents, how much money someone does or does not earn, their skin colour, race or gender, or where they shop but I do find bad manners to be inexcusable and a sign of ignorance regardless who demonstrates them (you can cut and paste my comment and add to the threads on chair hogs too which is where this also occurs most frequently).

I don't think he is being rude to me at all. He isn't dressing like a slob. He just prefers his jeans over slacks and I just wanted to know about how strict the rules were. I find it rude and ignorant to judge someone you have never met, all on the basis that he would rather wear jeans, and not slacks. I have been on a cruise with carnival before and can't recall how lax the dress code was because, I honestly don't pay attention to what other passengers were wearing. I understand that it is a rule and all, but if Carnival isn't enforcing it really anyway, than I don't see what the big deal would be. If they are super strict about it, than obviously we will not go, because I would much rather him be comfortable. But again if the rules are super lax as some have said, than yes we will probably go to dinner. Him in his jeans, and me in a sundress.

I know. I wear a dress every night, nothing fancy, but I don't want to miss the mdr just because he wants to wear jeans lol. I mean c'mon. They are serving ribs and the waiters sing and dance. Not exactly upscale lol. A d I know there are people who love the super formal dining (my mom lol) but I can see my spouses point lol.

If I were you I would be more upset at him refusing to wear appropriate attire for me. Makes it seem like he doesn't care a bit what you want, so long as he gets what HE wants. :(

Its easy, he wears Jeans, and if turned away, he eats at the buffet, and you continue into the MDR and eat Lobster and Prime Rib. If he is lucky and not turned away, he gets to have a nice meal also...

Yup. I would tell my DH that if he got turned away, I would be eating in the MDR without him.

OP, there is simply no way of knowing if he will be admitted wearing jeans on elegant night or not. Since that is a violation of the written dress rules, they would be within their rights to turn him away at the door.

Anything goes on formal night.

this is not true on the Glory, they will turn you away if you don't meet the Elegant night dress code, and the sleeveless shirt and beach attire will have you turned away also.

I eat upscale restaurants all the time (him in jeans) and nope they aren't serving ribs and french fries and the waiters don't sing and dance. I know jeans aren't allowed on elegant night, I am just asking if carnival is strict about it. If we decided to go and we are turned away, oh well. Definitely wont be embarrassed. I personally don't see what the big deal is, but I know it is a rule, so again I asked because different places have different rules and many times they are not enforced, so I wanted to know about carnival specifically. I know it says no jeans, but heck his jeans are nicer and more expensive than any slacks/khakis he owns. Which to me, jeans are a broad spectrum of pants lol. Some jeans are a lot nicer than others lol

as i said previously in my experience on the Glory, and the Freedom they were turning people away that were not dressed to the Dress Code, a sun dress and non-jeans slack and a collared shirt should get you in fine

Sorry but I respectfully disagree. It is my vacation and I choose not to dress up which Carnival allows. I won't go to the Lido deck because I still want the lobster.

Figdu ... Good post and you should certainly know since from your signature you've been on at least eight Carnival cruises and wore jeans in the MDR on Elegant nights. :)

LuLu

~~~~

If I were you I would be more upset at him refusing to wear appropriate attire for me. Makes it seem like he doesn't care a bit what you want, so long as he gets what HE wants. :(

Yup. I would tell my DH that if he got turned away, I would be eating in the MDR without him.

OP, there is simply no way of knowing if he will be admitted wearing jeans on elegant night or not. Since that is a violation of the written dress rules, they would be within their rights to turn him away at the door.

I agree with these 100%. DH would definitely be eating alone in the Lido if he got turned away. Seems that the OP's husband has no respect for his wife or others. ME ME ME!

It isn't about him getting what he wants lol. If I pressed it I am sure he would wear khakis or slacks. I just know he hates doing so and says he will wear his jeans. I don't care what he does. I don't think I should pitch a fit because he isn't comfortable in slacks. I was only inquiring about how strict the dress code was, and now people saying how rude he is for not doing something for me. He does so a lot for me. He sacrifices time with his family so we all can have a wonderful life. He works out of the country and is only home five months of the year. Sorry if I don't care that he wants to wear jeans. I will eat a sandwich from room service. Doesn't matter to me. I just was wanting to know about how strict the dress code was

I agree with these 100%. DH would definitely be eating alone in the Lido if he got turned away. Seems that the OP's husband has no respect for his wife or others. ME ME ME!

Thank you judge Judy. Glad you can tell so much about a person from their pants preference.

Figdu ... Good post and you should certainly know since from your signature you've been on at least eight Carnival cruises and wore jeans in the MDR on Elegant nights. :)

LuLu

~~~~

Thank you!

And yes I have.... I have worn suits, a tux and now wear white jeans with a button down short sleeve shirt.

I ate them on my cruise. Mom had lobster. I had ribs, corn on the cob, and French fries lol.

Sounds great! I enjoy ribs, and lobster! It's a good thing we can ask for more than one entre if we want it! :p

I eat upscale restaurants all the time (him in jeans) and nope they aren't serving ribs and french fries and the waiters don't sing and dance. I know jeans aren't allowed on elegant night, I am just asking if carnival is strict about it. If we decided to go and we are turned away, oh well. Definitely wont be embarrassed. I personally don't see what the big deal is,but I know it is a rule, so again I asked because different places have different rules and many times they are not enforced, so I wanted to know about carnival specifically. I know it says no jeans, but heck his jeans are nicer and more expensive than any slacks/khakis he owns. Which to me, jeans are a broad spectrum of pants lol. Some jeans are a lot nicer than others lol

Well with those thoughts in mind...

My cigarettes are more expensive than most so I guess I shall just light up in the MDR. :D

Or wear my bathing suit...because it's much more expensive than most peoples outfits I see there :rolleyes:

Well with those thoughts in mind...

My cigarettes are more expensive than most so I guess I shall just light up in the MDR. :D

Or wear my bathing suit...because it's much more expensive than most peoples outfits I see there :rolleyes:

I didn't mean it like that. I mean more like how some have suggested black or white jeans, the jeans he wears are just nicer than those. (And his khakis and slacks) I mean he could put on his cargo khakis that to me are gross looking lol, but that would be fine, when I think he would look better I. His jeans are just nicer lol. Anyway, really didn't try to start an argument with anyone. Again I really just wanted to know about how strict the rules are

It isn't about him getting what he wants lol. If I pressed it I am sure he would wear khakis or slacks. I just know he hates doing so and says he will wear his jeans. I don't care what he does. I don't think I should pitch a fit because he isn't comfortable in slacks. I was only inquiring about how strict the dress code was, and now people saying how rude he is for not doing something for me. He does so a lot for me. He sacrifices time with his family so we all can have a wonderful life. He works out of the country and is only home five months of the year. Sorry if I don't care that he wants to wear jeans. I will eat a sandwich from room service. Doesn't matter to me.
Well pardon me, but you were the one who wrote:

I don't want to miss the mdr just because he wants to wear jeans lol. I mean c'mon.

You may or may not be allowed in the MDR with him wearing jeans. Regardless of what anyone on this board experienced, you may hit the door when a stickler for the rules is seating people.

Archived